Status
Not open for further replies.

Rane

Duh. #winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.confessionsofacashier.com
I'm giving a presentation on my history book this weekend to a group of senior citizens.

I feel like what I'm going to be talking about will be boring to them. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to make the presentation more "exciting" for seniors?

It will also be my first presentation ever, so I'll be kind of nervous.

I just want people to enjoy it, and I feel like if I talk all facts and figures they will get bored. :)

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Without knowing more about your history book (e.g. subject, audience, length, who's publishing it, why it's needed, and more) I don't know what to tell you. In general, you have to find a way to make your book enjoyable and meaingful to the senior citizens. Incidentally, why did you choose a senior citizen group?

Rane

Duh. #winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It was published last year by Arcadia Publishing and is a pictorial history of the city I live in. The link to it is here.

The church group approached me and asked me to speak at their monthly meeting. It just happens to be a group of seniors.

I figured I would do it to make contacts, sell some books and also to get practice speaking in front of people. :)

Kent

learned my lesson well
Registered
Reaction score
So, Rane, how did it go? Did you eventually overcome your nervousness? Did you engage your audience? Did they respond well? Roughly, how many were present? And finallly, did you sell any books? I'm being so nosey because I, too, will be facing similar situations. And, as in your case, it will all be new to me also. Thanks for any info.
Kent

Rane

Duh. #winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Kent,

It actually went great. I was nervous at first, but I think what really helped was that they set me up with a microphone so I didn't feel like I had to yell across the room.

I planned my speech to be 20 minutes long and somehow it ended up being 30 minutes, so I was really happy that I didn't talk too fast.

I had a really nice group of people that I was speaking to. I told jokes during the presentation (they actually laughed) and also asked them questions.

After I was done we had a Q & A session for about 30 minutes in which I learned a lot more about my city's history from all the older folks that had attended. It was great and I'm in the middle of scheduling more presentations.

Thanks for asking! Good luck with yours as well. :)

Rane

Duh. #winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, and to answer your questions there were about 30 people that attended and I sold 10 books. Half of the people there already had my book, which was nice to see. :)

Kent

learned my lesson well
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Rane. Glad to hear all went well. I'm sure this will be the springboard to other, successful speaking engagements. Your experience has given me a little more confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.