False allegation of rape [trigger warning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
ETA : Resolved in post #8.

I just wanted to run this one past everyone here and see what you think...

In the WIP I have two races, mainlanders and pirates, who are at war. The heroine is a half-breed who lives and works on the mainland, passing as one of them. When a colleague of hers finds out, he attacks her, saying that that's not so much murder as it is stamping on a cockroach. She manages to escape and stows away on the hero's ship.

When the hero discovers her, he's not too pleased. She's terrified that if he finds out exactly what happened to her, he'll throw her overboard (he's in the navy, fighting the pirates), so she tells him that she escaped from a man who was trying to rape her. Since her clothes are torn and she looks shell-shocked, he's half inclined to believe her.

My question is, given what a hot-button issue rape, let alone false accusations of rape, can be, might readers lose sympathy for the heroine at this point? Just to provide a little more info, the colleague who attacked her is never actually accused of rape, because a few days later she tells the hero the truth. If it's a problem, I could have her say she escaped from someone trying to rob her, but she's such a mess that the hero knows something more serious happened. She just doesn't want to say it was attempted murder.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Two problems that I see:

- Why would she lie and say she was almost raped? Couldn't she just say that someone was going to kill her? Is there certain reasons why she won't say someone tried to kill her? Why swap out attempted murder for attempted rape?

- And, why not have that man try to rape her? (Mindset of: Rape, then kill) Then it's not a false allegation; it's real.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Two problems that I see:

- Why would she lie and say she was almost raped? Couldn't she just say that someone was going to kill her? Is there certain reasons why she won't say someone tried to kill her? Why swap out attempted murder for attempted rape?

She'd have to give a reason for why someone would try to kill her, whereas she wouldn't have to explain why someone might try to rape her.

And, why not have that man try to rape her? (Mindset of: Rape, then kill) Then it's not a false allegation; it's real.
He's disgusted by her. If he could kill her without having to touch her, he'd do it. Plus, I'd rather not have to deal with the effects of even attempted rape.

Is a false claim that bad? She's trying to protect herself rather than to get anyone into trouble, and since the ship has already left by the time she's discovered, nothing happens to her colleague. I was really hoping no one would think I was trying to cast aspersions on claims of rape by having her lie about this. :(

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't bring attempted rape into it if it's not a pivotal point in the story. I'd be more inclined to go with something like an excuse for the attempted murder - she saw him committing a crime or something. Or if she's the type to play up being a hero she could tell a story about him mugging someone, she tried to help them and he attacked her?

I think if you go down the crying rape route you risk alienating your heroine from the audience. It's a much harder lie for a reader to forgive.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps she could say someone tried to hurt her and refuse to talk about it. The hero could assume rape by her torn clothes. If she didn't rush in to correct his thinking that would be different to claiming rape herself, which I don't think would be a good way to go if she requires our sympathy.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps she could say someone tried to hurt her and refuse to talk about it. The hero could assume rape by her torn clothes. If she didn't rush in to correct his thinking that would be different to claiming rape herself, which I don't think would be a good way to go if she requires our sympathy.

I'd agree with this, and go one further - you don't need to actually say the word anywhere - the reader (and the male MC) will assume it for themselves, leaving the female character free to never even need to hint at it. Imo, she could just say, honestly, that she was attacked my a man, and that would be enough.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I'd agree with this, and go one further - you don't need to actually say the word anywhere - the reader (and the male MC) will assume it for themselves, leaving the female character free to never even need to hint at it. Imo, she could just say, honestly, that she was attacked my a man, and that would be enough.

I think this is a good way to go, or you could go with the mugging idea. As a reader, a woman lying about a rape (or attempted rape) would be a very difficult character to redeem in my eyes.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I thought about this and you guys made great points.

Plus, the hero's going to be angry enough when he finds out she's a half-breed. If he thinks she tried to manipulate him into being concerned and chivalrous and protective (which is how he'd likely feel if he thought she was almost raped), it's going to be worse.

At the same time, though, I do want the possibility of rape to come up, because as ajaye said, that might reasonably be assumed if a woman's in torn clothes and doesn't want to talk. So he's going to ask if that happened, and she considers letting him think so, because she knows there'll be a whole lot less 'splainin to do under those circumstances.

But she reluctantly says no, that's not what happened. Partly because she'd be agreeing with a false claim, which as you guys said, might lose reader sympathy. And partly because she's always wondered if that was how she was conceived, so she doesn't even want to think about it happening to her.

I also managed to come up with a semi-plausible story she could give him instead.

So thank you all for the feedback and for steering me clear of a bad choice. Much appreciate all your help and honesty. :)

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
QoS - It looks like you've resolved your concern here, but I'd just like to add one more bit of food for thought. Rape being what it is, a crime of power and control, the fact he's disgusted by her wouldn't necessarily stop him from attacking her in that way. (Although that said, I don't know the rules of your world so I don't know the form his aversion to her takes.). You certainly wouldn't have to let him succeed, but I think you can give her a reasonable belief that it was his intent.

Oreo1909

Registered
Reaction score
"He was trying to attack me," she says with a pathetic sniffle as she pulls her torn clothing tighter across her curvaceous pirate body. "I... I fled as he was mauling me." At this, she buries her face into her hands, seeming to wilt in on herself with great racking sobs.

Implied but never expressed?

Oops, too late. Guess I should read every post first. =o

Status
Not open for further replies.