Paragraphing blog posts.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I was reading a helpful blog post over at Copyblogger and thought I'd highlight a particularly useful point.

9. Make your first paragraph short, no more than 1-2 lines (that’s lines, not sentences.) Vary your paragraph line length from here. It helps create visual dissonance and makes it easier to read your copy. And no paragraph should be more than 4-5 lines long at any time.

Source

Deleted member 42

That first paragraph should also have a succinct thesis statement since many readers begin reading in a news aggregator, like Bloglines or Google Reader, and they only display a few lines from the start of the post.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Yeah, I think that's a handy tool. To be honest, I don't want to read a few paragraphs to work out what they're talking about. A clear first sentence can tell me whether or not to be bothered reading the rest or not.

I tried it out in my latest post. What do you think?

If you look at some of my other posts, it's less wordy and dense and more to the point. Though, because I'm talking politics from a point of view that isn't mainstream, I may need to write some posts that are a bit more theoretical.

This is kind of what Darren Rowse was saying in ProBlogger about balancing your content between beginner readers and those who've been reading your blog for a while.

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
Ok, I think we're talking about different things! :)

I was wondering about how to make posts show a brief (hopefully) tantalizing summary of an article as opposed to posting the entire thing. Something like:

Prince William swears off women

Today Prince William swore off all women because...(read more)

Is there a way to do this in blogger? because I can't seem to find it.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
There is a summary tag in the RSS standard. I honestly don't know if Blogger supports it. If you want to see the XML, look at the feed from my journal

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Yeah, I'm pretty sure blogger is unable to do the whole (more) thing. I know wordpress does it and I'm pretty sure it was one of the main reasons I moved from blogger.

NatJM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foodforyourmindblog.com
I do try to get my point across in as few lines as possible in the first paragraph, which i think is good journalism writing (and blogging is pretty close to journalism IMHO). However, i usually need 3 or 4 lines, so it's good to get reminded it's possible to condense it even more and write a great summary in 1 or 2 lines.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Yeah, I just posted about our Prime Minister sending more troops to Afghanistan and I found it difficult to make the paragraphs so short.

I think it's easier to keep the first paragraph short to hook the header and then having a balance between long and short paragraphs in the middle, especially if you're trying to explain something that's less than straightforward.