Fairy Tales and Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
If you could adapt a fairy tale into a fantasy, which fairy tale (s) would you choose. Give one sentence or paragraph to tell about your adaptation.

I'm thinking little red riding hood. Of course, I'd not go with a werewolf theme, but a little more unique, more of a shaggy dog transformation. And you can have it be someone who really loves ms hood, which makes the dilema of them turning into a beast even more dramatic. Of course, it could be grandma, but that's a bit over the top.

Come on, I tripple dog dare ya!

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
HCAs The Snow Queen. I'd make her soooooooo domme

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
The Fisherman and his Wife.

Except the fish would really be an age-old sorceress who falls in love with the fisherman and gets really pissed off that the wife is taking advantage of him, so she kills him. With a knife. Or a pointy fish weapon-y thing. :D

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
The Crane Wife....I guess that's more of a folk tale, but what the hell.

I'd make it less of a moral tale about appreciating what you have and more of a dark fantasy. He'd capture her instead of her falling in love with him, and she'd stick him so full of feathers at the end he'd look like the bird...before she pulled them out again and wove one more very red shirt. :)

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
The Emperor's New Clothes

Already wrote it. Flipped it. The King receives a piece of clothing that, when he wears it, shows him who is loyal to him and who is not. Someone very close to the King should have been more careful of whose family he messed with, or so my heroine says. Revenge and all that. ;)

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Snow White, maybe... it'd be interesting to have a role reversal and have Snow White be the jealous one. She'd find the seven dwarves in the woods, only there would be six now instead of seven because one was killed, and they wouldn't be miners, they'd be assassins, and the step mother would have to disguise herself as an old lady to escape them...

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Beauty and the Beast- with a female Beast and male Beauty.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
The Magic Root. It's a Chukchi fairytale. Or perhaps the Russian fairytale "Finist the Bright Falcon" - it's about the wise maiden whose groom is a shape changer.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Hah, I just did this in my most recent work, although I didn't rewrite so much as riff on it as one of the themes.

Pied Piper Of Hamelin.

But if I had to do one now...hmm, I love the Snow Queen with a fierce and clingy sort of passion. I also have a soft spot for tales where the woman changes shape, and there's so many there to choose from.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I have half a story that's based on the Russian fairy tale / myth 'Koschei the Deathless', but I've always had a soft spot for The Ugly Duckling as well, so that could be fun.

I know it's a poem rather than a fairy tale, but I've always thought 'Tam O'Shanter' would make a great fantasy / horror story too.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
I have half a story that's based on the Russian fairy tale / myth 'Koschei the Deathless', but I've always had a soft spot for The Ugly Duckling as well, so that could be fun.

I know it's a poem rather than a fairy tale, but I've always thought 'Tam O'Shanter' would make a great fantasy / horror story too.

Sort of a Franken-duck. A sympathetic, yet dark creature???

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
If you could adapt a fairy tale into a fantasy, which fairy tale (s) would you choose. Give one sentence or paragraph to tell about your adaptation.

I'm thinking little red riding hood. Of course, I'd not go with a werewolf theme, but a little more unique, more of a shaggy dog transformation. And you can have it be someone who really loves ms hood, which makes the dilema of them turning into a beast even more dramatic. Of course, it could be grandma, but that's a bit over the top.

Come on, I tripple dog dare ya!

FYI, and in case you didn't know - Drollerie Press are seeking Little Red Riding Hood shorts for an anthology.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Sort of a Franken-duck. A sympathetic, yet dark creature???

Or a mad killer duck, made bitter and twisted by its lack of acceptance and the preferential treatment given to swans, who goes on a mad killing spree across the fens. Or should that be 'goes quackers'?

Sorry.

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
I've sometimes pondered writing a Snow White and Rose Red story set in Russia (then I could use an awesome Russian bear). I'm sure I had a twist for the story in mind once, but I seem to have forgotten it...

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
I've sometimes pondered writing a Snow White and Rose Red story set in Russia (then I could use an awesome Russian bear). I'm sure I had a twist for the story in mind once, but I seem to have forgotten it...

Ravenlocks, I am not sure what "snow white and red rose" is exactly, but there is a Russian "Beauty and the beast" variant which is called "Little Red flower".

Bears are indeed awesome.

arodriguez

Renegade
Registered
Reaction score
How about Rumplestiltsken?

he's a demon from hell who steals the souls of all the world's firstborn. He marches his army upon the world and destoys everything. Only a small band of heroes can save the world, Repunzel, her long hair a weapon of magical dominance, Robin hood, the famed archer and womanizer, humpty dumpty (after they put him together), and the seven dwarves (all on vacation from snow white)

Status
Not open for further replies.