Anne Rice...

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, The Vampire Chronicles were good. I just feel let down, I guess. My monster vamps weren't so monster after all.
Steph's religion, I think, helped? It reached a younger audience, maybe, since it wasn't complex or dark. Mommies could feel okay about their 13 yr olds reading them.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm just not getting it. How does the author's Catholicism retrospectively make her vampires less vampy?

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Ya know what made her vamps seem less vampy? Vittorio. Ugh! That guy, and the book he came in, sucked! ;)

Loved the rest of em though, and it's a shame she gave up on 'em.

Ooh! Idea!

Coming soon - Blood noon, a Vampire Chronicles tribute, by Lord Adamson.
Don't worry, I read up on copyright and I reckon I can swing it!

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm just not getting it. How does the author's Catholicism retrospectively make her vampires less vampy?

She claims they were on the path to God. When they opened their eyes to their new world, they were actually awakened to their new path of spirituality. It was really a religious series with lots of metaphors, apparently.

Reaction score
I just read it as a story about vampires.

It's certainly no more Catholic than the godawful Twilight saga was Mormon.

Whatever Rice says about it, the series is what it is. Every author is influenced by their background but at least Rice has talent, if a propensity to go all Britney on Amazon.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Considering that the concept of vampirism is itself inextricably linked with Judeo-Christian myth, it's hardly surprising that some vampire writers would suddenly decide they're gung-ho for Jesus.

Reaction score
Or - ahem - that some Christians wouldn't have a problem with writing about vampires.

Reaction score
Aye.

scarletpeaches, shamelessly bumping up her post count in a thread about one of her pet subjects. ;)

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
She claims they were on the path to God. When they opened their eyes to their new world, they were actually awakened to their new path of spirituality. It was really a religious series with lots of metaphors, apparently.

Yep, it got really obvious that was the way it was going around about the time of Memnoch the Devil and got even more pronounced in later books.

Too much "poor me, God hates me" sermonising and not enough bloodsucking. I hated everything after Queen of the Damned.

I've had enough of metrosexuals posing as vamps... I say its time to get back to vicious bloodsucking b@stards.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Or vampires set in the era of the vampire paranoia in Europe, when peasants were desecrating graves to find alleged vampire evidence and the Empress Maria Theresa issued an edict to make them stop.

Celina, shamelessly paving the way for much self-promotional work for her vampire project The Vampire Covenants trilogy coming in April with vampires in the 1780s and making the Benedictine monk almost single-handedly responsible for the vampire mania in the eighteenth century into a vampire himself.

*grin*

No sparkles or Egyptians though. Sorry, kids.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Now that sounds more like it. ;)

Or vampires set in the era of the vampire paranoia in Europe, when peasants were desecrating graves to find alleged vampire evidence and the Empress Maria Theresa issued an edict to make them stop.

Celina, shamelessly paving the way for much self-promotional work for her vampire project The Vampire Covenants trilogy coming in April with vampires in the 1780s and making the Benedictine monk almost single-handedly responsible for the vampire mania in the eighteenth century into a vampire himself.

*grin*

No sparkles or Egyptians though. Sorry, kids.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I read Rice's spiritual autobiography recently - a good read, by the way. But she talks about how, while her own spiritual journey couldn't help but influence her writing, her books reflect more her wrestling with religious issues than as some sort of religious platform.

I think she's an outstanding writer and am just now reading her work - both the Vampire books and the Christ the Lord books - for the first time.

Little Bird

Registered
Reaction score
I get really sick of authors who happen to be Christian getting bashed for whatever they write--by non-christians as well as by other Christians.

If they write Christian books, some people say they don't have the guts to write mainstream books. Other Christians criticize them for which subjects they choose to write about or how they handle them. Now non-christians (forgive me if I'm getting the wrong idea about your beliefs) are saying Christians aren't qualified to write about vampires?

I am a Christian, and my faith influences what I write about & how I do it, as I'm sure everyone's worldview does. I've read books by some Christian authors who've taken their stories to places I don't think I'd go. But I think it's dangerous to say certain topics or genres are strictly off-limits to Christians. To me, the ethics of it is all in how they're handled.

In the case of Rice's Vampire books, the complaint seems pretty silly. It's my understanding that Rice only recently rededicated herself to her faith. She did not sit down to write books with a Christian message at the time those books were written.

Aside from that, you may be enjoying more books with Christian themes than you realize. If you really think about it, if you threw out all the books with themes that could somehow be related to Christianity, there would be very little left. Redemption, good versus evil, self-sacrifice, the hero who saves the day, spiritual or character growth, "messiantic" concepts such as a person being special or chosen to do something great, forgiveness--I could go on and on.

If you can't enjoy a book because you suspect Christianity may have influenced its author in some way, what on earth are you going to read?

I can uderstand not wanting to get whacked over the head with a religious message you don't want to hear, but come on. Rice didn't do that in her vampire books. The fact that you liked them until you got the news that she's a Christian proves that.

All of Western civilization has been influenced by Christianity. That includes literature. It's unavoidable.

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's forbidden from a genre because of their faith. To me, it was just like someone telling me my best friend really wasn't who she said she was for our entire relationship. It's hard to explain, I guess.

Looking forward to more demonic vampires!

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever makes her happy.

It's like a joke in itself - the two biggest selling vamp writers are religious.

I don't see how...the vast super-majority of native English speakers are Christian, obviously the chance is very high that the vast super-majority of English-speaking authors also would be....

Fantasy is fantasy. Go figure. :p

Last edited:

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
To be honest I didn't care much for Rice's vampires.

They seemed a bit too much like Greek Gods; beautiful avatars of the best and worst of humanity. I couldn't identify with them at all.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to read Interview when it was first out. Because I liked the vampire novels of Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. Couldn't get more than 50 or so pages into it. Gave it back to the friend who lent it to me. Have never tried any of her other stuff.

MM

marie2

slowly but surely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolemariemessina.tumblr.com
I didn't like IwtV at all. All Louis did was WHINE WHINE WHINE. It was really annoying. My favorite book of hers was The Vampire Lestat. Her narrative voice in that book was fantastic.