Anne Rice...

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I personally think that she is too hyped, although I might eventually pick up something of hers. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT I THINK SHE'S A BAD WRITER.

Eleasha

Registered
Reaction score
Canada. All the way from 'eh' to 'zed'.....
You haven't read any of her stuff?
I can understand that if it's for hype reasons. I try to say away from the bestseller lists myself... but there *is* a reason why bestsellers are bestsellers, lol.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Eleasha said:
You haven't read any of her stuff?
I can understand that if it's for hype reasons. I try to say away from the bestseller lists myself... but there *is* a reason why bestsellers are bestsellers, lol.

I realize that, and there are some books on the bestseller list that I have read... I guess my thoughts are that since they are so hyped, I already know the plots! Also, I like to catch midlists as they come out since they might not be around forever. Anne Rice isn't going anywhere soon.

Eleasha

Registered
Reaction score
Canada. All the way from 'eh' to 'zed'.....
Jadezuki said:
Every year or so I still pick up my tattered copy of The Witching Hour and read it (I have a gorgeous hardbound copy, but I just can't seem to ditch my beaten and scotch-taped paperback).

Oh, I know what you mean about that... my copy of The Vampire Lestat is falling apart at the seams, the biggest spine crack being right in the middle of Lestat trying to rip Armand's head off, but I can't get rid of it.
And ugh, the Mayfair witches. I liked Lasher well enough, or at least his story at the end, but I loathe and despise Mona, and her being made a vampire was one of the most unpleasant and reprehensible things I have ever read. The Mayfair Witches just don't do much for me. They seem too normal or something, hehe.
The first six of the Vampire Chronicles are my favourite, and Blood and Gold... and Violin is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm reading Cry to Heaven and Christ the Lord right now.
I think I've read all of them except the Sleeping Beauty ones, Feast of All Saints, and The Witching Hour. Oh, and Merrick.
I'm just a geek. :)

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
I like Anne Rice quite a bit though I must admit I'm not as into her work as I once was.

The Mayfair Witches stories were my favorites and I wish she would have followed them a bit more like she did with the vampires. I wasn't really into the vampires and the witches books but that was mainly me being bratty and wanting the witches to have their own identity. I know the vampires are more popular and I like the vampires...but the Witching Hour is better than any of the vampire books.

I also liked Memnoch the Devil because it was a bit different from the other vampire books. I liked Servant of the Bones as well.

Reaction score
I've only read IWtV (three times so far, and I love it if not for her style then the fact it's a vampire book). Oh, and 'The Mummy' - anyone read that?

I'm remembering more! I've read Cry to Heaven, which I remember loving - but I was about 12 at the time, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

So that makes 4 of her books I've read - the last one being The Vampire Lestat which I hated - it seemed to jump all over the place and be up its own arse. It took me weeks to get through and turning the last page was a relief.

The other three, I would read again. Anything else, I can't seem to get through.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rice

I always believed Rice made a mistake by refusing to allow editors to change anything, but even at this she's still manage to create memorable, and orginal, characters and stories. Darned few writers can do this.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think The Feast of All Saints is one of the most beautiful books ever written. It is Rice's Great Expectations. I've read it about 10 times and never tire of its utter and staggering beauty. It is her opus.

I was in love with the vampire chronicles about 10 years back, but have since tired of them. The Mayfair books were also great for a time...so thorough in their self-history.

Again: THE FEAST OF ALL SAINTS (Utter beauty...I can't say enough about it. I fall back to that old New Orleans era every time I read it and I have to be brutally hauled back to the present.) If you haven't read it, do so.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
WildScribe said:
I realize that, and there are some books on the bestseller list that I have read... I guess my thoughts are that since they are so hyped, I already know the plots! Also, I like to catch midlists as they come out since they might not be around forever. Anne Rice isn't going anywhere soon.

It's been my experience that mislist novels have exactly the same plots, and exactly the same characters, as bestselling novels. . .they just aren't written as well.

As for Anne Rice, you could she already has gone somewhere, at least where any future writing is concerned.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I adored every minute I spent reading Interview With The Vampire. Vampire Lestat was a close second. Then I got to Tale Of The Body Thief, and it was just ridiculous!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Lestat trades bodies with this guy to be mortal for a day. Fun idea. Then the guy never has any intention of giving Lestat his body back, and Lestat is surprised at this...because???? Lestat has already been set up as utterly brilliant, and I'm supposed to believe that he never thought for a minute that this guy intended to use his vampire powers to wreak havoc? If even I figured that out, I think Lestat would have. And the way it was portrayed, it seemed like Lestat only wanted to do it so he could get it on with some people and taste food again. It was a novelty. If it had been established that all Lestat wanted in the world was to be a mortal man, it would have been different. I would believe that he might not think things through, because he wanted it so badly. And maybe he intended to stay a mortal, but then the guy was using Lestat's body to cause trouble. But no, he REALLY BELIEVED that the guy was going to show up the next day and give him his vampire body back! It was not a tedious read, but I found it silly.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I read her books until I realised she was egotistically insane. At that point her work lost all its charm for me.

Warp

So many boys, so little time
Registered
Reaction score
I was in love with her books when I was 12. Mostly IwtV, Vamp. Lestat and Queen of the Damned. I loved Louis, Lestat and that other one whose name starts with a K or something. Kaman? I don't remember. Anyway, they were perfect for me as an angsty preteen. I even thought vampires were real for a little while and was very paranoid about being bitten by one (I was a lonely little girl w/ no friends that year).
But when I got to Tale of the Body Thief it all fell apart like Celia Cyanide said. Couldn't even read it.

Now, I'm 25 (don't believe in vampires and I do have friends) and I'm very much over her. I cringe when I think of how much I loved her books. Oh well, it was a phase.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
It's been my experience that mislist novels have exactly the same plots, and exactly the same characters, as bestselling novels. . .they just aren't written as well.

As for Anne Rice, you could she already has gone somewhere, at least where any future writing is concerned.

Midlist is just a bestseller waiting to happen ;) And by not going anywhere, I meant that I can ALWAYS go to the store and pick up an Anne Rice book. It seems like once certain authors hit the bestseller lists, they become lazy. Just my HO.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I enjoyed Body Thief too, Eleasha. The first time I read it was on the beach in South Carolina. I remember buying it when it first came out and being excited about reading it. I found it extremely satisfying. It was exotic. The writing was kind of like her writing in The Mummy. Reading The Mummy was like walking into an early early movie set...it was another beautiful, cinematic work by her.

I can't believe nobody's talking about The Feast of All Saints? I think it's an important piece of American Literature.

Reaction score
So, KTC...what's your favourite Rice book?

Me, I can't stick her now. Her ego gets in the way of any enjoyment of her books; even the ones I've already read. I've just remembered two more. The Vampire Armand and Pandora. I was working long hours at the time and took those books to work for my tea- and lunch-breaks.

I should have taken someone's shopping list instead for all the good it did me. Okay, an author publishes a book you're not so keen on, you give them another chance. I've given Rice a gabillion (yes, that is a word) chances, and I'm done. There are authors out there I like more, and authors who can write...well, just better.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Body Thief, but couldn't stand Memnoch (it started out great, but lost me - too preachy maybe). After Marius' story (Blood & Gold? can't remember right now) I pretty much gave up on her. I loved the Vamp Chronicles & the Mayfair Witches -- everything up to Memnoch really. I think she grew up too much for me . . . or maybe it's the lack of editing, but I stopped reading her before she announced her religious intentions. That would've done it for me if I was still with her, though (not being Christian and all).

I love Lestat, so I tried Blackwood Farm; I read every word, but I'm not sure why.

Celia -- It was his hubris, IMO. One of the things I love about Lestat is his belief that whatever he wants/does/etc. will turn out exactly as he planned. I guess it's true that opposites are attractive! :)

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Jadezuki said:
I mentioned it like twelve posts ago! Has anyone seen the miniseries of Feast of All Saints that Showtime did a few years ago?
I remember hearing about this, but I didn't actually get to watch it. Was it a decent representation of the book, or was it terrible?