Rejectomancy

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Jeez, I'm afraid to post the places I'm waiting to hear back from, like I'll jinx myself or something. :Shrug:

Just crickets here for me ATM. Sorry to hear about the Rs for all of you :( But at least you can now turn them around and get them back out there. I hate having something tied up and just waiting...waiting...waiting.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Still crickets for me. I was pleased to see that GUD seems to be moving again (albeit slowly).

And does anyone know anything about progress for the Mammoth Book of Steampunk? I know there was something about trying to respond quickly, but I'm not sure what kind of timeframe that looks like.

:)

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wondering about the Steampunk book too, as I was considering sending the story to the Swords & Sorceress antho if it got rejected there. It's a far better fit for the steampunk one, though, so I won't be devastated if I miss the deadline.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I shouldn't have complained of crickets. Promptly received two rejections. :p

At least now I know Future Writers of the World has not yet rejected my story. Thanks, Matt. I have to get to work on my sub for this quarter.

cathyfreeze

I lost my fever! I need it back!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a member of w1/s1, since i can't write one a month, but i have been lurking and enjoying y'all's enthusiasm. So hope y'all don't mind if i stick my 2c in...

my short is finally 'in progress' at the Triangulations anthology after a month and a half of just having been 'received', so it should be rejected in short order. Whee!

cat

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cat,

Welcome and good luck with your submission at Triangulation! Please feel free to hang with us and comment on anything whether or not you are W1S1'ing.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Heya cat. Nice of you to hang with us :) My story at Triangulation is still in received status, but i did only just squeak it in before deadline.

Another rejection today. 2 for the month so far. Is it strange that i'm much happier to be getting Rs than crickets? :D

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Is it strange that i'm much happier to be getting Rs than crickets? :D

I call this the submitter's dilemma. On one hand, the longer a story stays out, the better the odds are that a magazine might be interested in it. However, you also want feedback and acknowledgment, and the longer it stays out the more anxious you get. In that case, even a rejection can be a relief.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another rejection today. 2 for the month so far. Is it strange that i'm much happier to be getting Rs than crickets? :D

I'm also at 2: Clarkesworld and Fantasy, for the same story! Things should slow down now as the other markets will likely take slightly longer to reject me :)

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not obsessed with Duotrope (in a twist for me, I'm actually serious about this), but sometimes I do have a look at the stats and such just to get a feel for how things are going. Rejections don't much bother me, which is fortunate because I anticipate at least 2 or 3 within the next week, perhaps the next couple of days if the stats are close. Seems I just submitted to a bunch of super-fast places. That's nice, but it also sucks when things bounce back faster than you can say Papa Hemingway. I almost prefer a little wait, because then it's not so fresh in my mind.

The longest piece of mine out right now is at 85 days today. And I have to tell you, if it's rejected, it's gonna hurt. Not because of the time frame, but because it's the longest story I've ever written, my second substantial story written this year, and one that I feel really, really good about in a way that's rare for me. It made me cry when I wrote it, then made my daughter cry and even got her pissed at me because the character she loved doesn't exactly come out of the thing in great shape. It is a horror story. It would also be my highest-paid story if it's accepted, which would be a nice thing.

I do check occasionally to see if anyone has been accepted or rejected for that antho, but no reports yet. He recently posted on the blog that he's swamped with other things and is still getting through the slush, so I suspect he hasn't made any decisions yet. I even know what I'll do with it if it comes back to make it suitable for other markets. But it'll crush me briefly, all the same.

I'm just saying right now, if it's rejected, I will probably retreat into movies and food for a day or two, and decide in a childish part of my brain that I didn't want no part of this fiction writing business no how anyway. And if it's not rejected, I'll be over the moon for a solid month. If it's rejected with some nice commentary from the editor, then there will at least be a mild funk, though perhaps I won't need bowls of chocolate and cream cheese to make it all better.

I also noticed today that a market I sent a story to 25 days ago has recently done a 0-day and a 2-day rejection. Seeing that makes me hopeful, even though I know it may not mean a thing. So where I wasn't really thinking about it before, now I think about how mine have usually mine have sold after things like that, so it gets my hopes up and I think about the thing. Especially since it's about 5 days away from the average response time. This is the type of mild fretting I can almost always avoid. That's the drawback of looking at stats. :p

I do hope I don't get any rejections on Mother's Day. I may skip email altogether! I got an acceptance on Easter morning, and a rejection later that day. I think I would have felt bummed if it had just been the rejection on Reese's Peanut Butter Egg day. I'd have probably had a couple more of them, and believe me, I do not need them. :p

Shelley

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just saying right now, if it's rejected, I will probably retreat into movies and food for a day or two, and decide in a childish part of my brain that I didn't want no part of this fiction writing business no how anyway.

I think that's perfectly acceptable as long as, after those couple of days, you find yourself back writing again (-: Dog knows I've had a few week-long sulks along the way, and they're handy for getting caught up on housework and stuff before the Muse throws you back in your chair.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the story and for you.

-Suzanne

ETA: and yeah, no bad news on Mother's Day. I'm with ya on that one.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else chewing off fingers waiting for a Glimmer Train response (to January submission)? I need some company :D .

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you hear good news, and soon. I think good news is acceptable for Mother's Day.

I think that's perfectly acceptable as long as, after those couple of days, you find yourself back writing again (-: Dog knows I've had a few week-long sulks along the way, and they're handy for getting caught up on housework and stuff before the Muse throws you back in your chair.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the story and for you.

-Suzanne

ETA: and yeah, no bad news on Mother's Day. I'm with ya on that one.

Thanks! From the editors blog today: But here's the good news: things are back on track and everybody will be getting their good news/bad news within the next week or so.

For those who follow Duotrope carefully, it's interesting to note that in his post he's talking about two different anthologies. He mentions that going through hundreds of submissions takes time. Between the two anthologies, the submissions listed at Duotrope total between 10 and 12 (it varies, as I guess people do or do not use the site for 30 days).

Whether he's exaggerating the number of submissions a little or not, (which he probably isn't) that's an indication how small a percentage of submitters Duotrope may actually represent in some cases. It's probably higher for some other publications, I think Izz's example a week ago or so was about 20% for one of the pro zines? But it appears to be 5% or less for these, assuming "hundreds" has to at least be over 200.

So within a week. This one's going to be tough, if only because I'm going to have a hard time opening the email when it comes--seriously! The easiest rejection on that front I've ever had changed the subject line to Declined: Name of story. No little butterfly when clicking that one, wondering what news it held. :p

I have a lot of work to keep me busy over the next week, but that's going to be right smack in the back of mind the whole time. I've actually just re-read the story, and I still feel really good about its chances. I didn't even find a typo--that has to be some kind of record. :)

Shelley

Last edited:

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first rejection.

I'm not bothered. I have bigger problems than that.
My printer isn't working and it's done something to the laptop so it won't shut down unless I take the battery out.

I am furious.
Either I get them working, or I take a hammer to them both.

I'll immolate myself over the rejection later, when I've calmed down a bit...

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Got my first rejection.

:partyguy:

I'm quite serious--congratulations. That means you're in the game. It's a writer's rite of passage, and a sort of purple heart. Be very proud that you took a step something like 75% or more of people who say they want to write never do--submit.

I hope your puter problems get straightened out--that sounds horrible.

Shelley

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Got my first rejection from the write 1 sub 1 stories.

It looks like a personal rejection... so a reasonably nice one...

Have sent the story back out.

I've also been reading short stories - 1 a day, like Bradbury recommends. Been a while since I really read any. It's quite fun.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
The easiest rejection on that front I've ever had changed the subject line to Declined: Name of story. No little butterfly when clicking that one, wondering what news it held. :p

It's interesting because I find those the hardest. When I get an email from a market (or an envelope back, though that's becoming rarer and rarer) I like to get myself in the right frame of mind before opening it. It's like spiders -- I don't mind them at all, as long as they don't sneak up on me (-:

I'm having trouble getting back into writing right now. Home with a sick kid for second day in a row and cleaning the house, which it sorely needs. I really want to go back to my novel revisions but every time I open the file I feel sorta lost in it, so I might tackle finishing a short I started more than a year ago that I set aside as being too research-heavy -- that might be more my pace now. Going on Day 39 of my headache.

-Suzanne, rambling.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first rejection.

Yay, go you! Send it out again! At 50 you get to have a party (-:

I have bigger problems than that. My printer isn't working and it's done something to the laptop so it won't shut down unless I take the battery out.

What OS are you running? Can you give more info about what's happening?

-Suzanne

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, go you! Send it out again! At 50 you get to have a party (-:

What OS are you running? Can you give more info about what's happening?

-Suzanne

Because the printer isn't working it thinks it's half way through printing something, even though it isn't.
This is why it won't shut down. (I think)

I pulled the battery (again... Must remember to back up in case I'm killing the laptop) and now I'm uninstalling the printer. I'll reinstall and if that don't work it's going to see the heavy end of the lump hammer.

Lol. I want to scream in frustration.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah well. Poo.

Got the printer working, sort of.
Laptop still working.
Story subbed back out.

Bleh.