Status
Not open for further replies.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Funnily enough, I was going for Andrea and Noah too. :)

Mix 'n' matching the surnames, I'd go with Andrea Roark and Noah Mercer.

(My nephew's name is Noah - not that it influenced me. I didn't even think about him until 5398cane said the name was making a comeback, lol.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Today and tomorrow I will not be here for most of the day. I have a SFF convention

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to distribute my bookmarks. Maybe people will buy my book :D

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I think i've decided on Andy and Jake.

And i hope you get a lot of buyers with the bookmarks Sage!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I decided to come home to sleep in between con days (weird, I know).

I met an AWer at the convention! She's with my publisher too, and she introduced herself with her book and I recognized the title.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's a great visual

I should go to bed, but I'm kinda wound. I want to work on TM, but I'm just doing a read-through right now, so I don't know if it would satisfy me. But tomorrow I'll be up late for the Buffy Sing-a-long and I have to work on Sunday (I'm thinking of going early, then finishing the con, then going back if there's work after the con is over. Sunday's usually a pretty dead day, but there are at least 5 panels I want to do, argh)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I was in love with that picture and realized it would be perfect for this book! Not that i truly plan on doing anything with this book... its more just for me, unless it actually ends up good... then maybe.

Awwww you seem to have a busy weekend ahead of you! Maybe you could just write TM for a little since you up and awake?

Lucia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chooseya.com
hi everyone, sorry I haven't been around much recently.
I've recently encountered a slight issue in my current WIP and wanted some feedback and advice from you lovely people.
As you may know, I'm writing a contemporary YA which is focused primarily on a character dealing with a past event but also features a romantic element too.
In my mind, this has always been a new character who is introduced part way through the novel. However, the main character has a male best friend and I feel that they are developing a natural chemistry that would feel more natural.
I wanted to subvert the whole best friend trope though, but wonder if although it is more unoriginal it might work better?
Any advice or have any of you had the same thing?

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
hi everyone, sorry I haven't been around much recently.
I've recently encountered a slight issue in my current WIP and wanted some feedback and advice from you lovely people.
As you may know, I'm writing a contemporary YA which is focused primarily on a character dealing with a past event but also features a romantic element too.
In my mind, this has always been a new character who is introduced part way through the novel. However, the main character has a male best friend and I feel that they are developing a natural chemistry that would feel more natural.
I wanted to subvert the whole best friend trope though, but wonder if although it is more unoriginal it might work better?
Any advice or have any of you had the same thing?

There was a somewhat recent thread that discussed types of love interests. It seems like a lot of people are a bit tired of the "mysterious stranger" LI. If your MC develops chemistry with her friend and it feels natural, I'd at least explore that possibility. Plus you have the advantage that the reader is already invested in the best friend character.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238082

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Hahahha I'm writing a similar book like that!

I went with the rather new best friend love interest!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Tri! :partyguy:

Is it funny, Lucia, that I assumed your MC was a male and totally read your question in a different way from wampuscat? (I couldn't figure out why you were being pointed to the LI thread and not the bromance thread ;)) Anyway, I agree that if there's chemistry with the best friend, and it doesn't ruin like the entire novel (I did have this problem once), then it might be worth it to go that route and see what happens. However, if new LI hasn't shown up, it might be that he just hasn't had his chance to have chemistry with the MC. In my WIP, I have very distinct sections that focus on the two potential LIs, and when the one who doesn't win is front and center and the other is MIA for a while, it was hard to convince myself that the main LI should actually win. It's easier to see chemistry when the potential LI is around.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Tri! :partyguy:

Is it funny, Lucia, that I assumed your MC was a male and totally read your question in a different way from wampuscat? (I couldn't figure out why you were being pointed to the LI thread and not the bromance thread ;)) Anyway, I agree that if there's chemistry with the best friend, and it doesn't ruin like the entire novel (I did have this problem once), then it might be worth it to go that route and see what happens. However, if new LI hasn't shown up, it might be that he just hasn't had his chance to have chemistry with the MC. In my WIP, I have very distinct sections that focus on the two potential LIs, and when the one who doesn't win is front and center and the other is MIA for a while, it was hard to convince myself that the main LI should actually win. It's easier to see chemistry when the potential LI is around.

I admit that I default to MC=female, which is a bad thing to do. Still, I think the types of LIs are valid regardless of genders.

Status
Not open for further replies.