Rejectomancy

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
So some market called "Comets and Criminals" rejected me about 20 minutes ago. Poo on them. ;)

Trying to figure out where to send it to next. I have some other stories to revise and send out elsewhere too. And of course, Saturday is a new month, which means a new story to write.

I was gonna sub there, but then I heard the editor was a tool.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Thought this might interest a few people; Beth Wodzinski is stepping down as editor of Shimmer, to be replaced by Elise Tobler. Which is annoying, because Elise really liked a story I sent them a few months ago which Beth ultimately passed on. Might improve my chances there though ;-)

Also, I've just seen CP tweet that he's finished replying to subs for The Memory Eater. Fingers crossed for you, alex! (And anybody else who's waiting on a reply that I don't know about.)

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@pangalactic: Thanks buddy, but CP ultimately passed on my story. He sent a nice personal R and although I don't ultimately agree with his specific criticism, I like the story and am glad his antho had caused me to write it.

I'm vacationing in Barbados starting today and it seems that in honor of my departure from NYC everybody and their mother decided to reject me in the last 24 hours. Got Rs from DSF, BCS, Memory Eater and even Short, Fast & Deadly (sent them something that took me 2 min to write, on a lark).

The good news is that all of those R's are offset by a pretty cool acceptance from a couple of days ago. I can't share the details yet, but will post in braggage as soon as I'm able (I suspect as early as this weekend).

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about all the Rs, Alex.

But good news on the acceptance! Tell us where it is, when you can.

And have a great holiday :)

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
@pangalactic: Thanks buddy, but CP ultimately passed on my story. He sent a nice personal R and although I don't ultimately agree with his specific criticism, I like the story and am glad his antho had caused me to write it.

I'm in exactly the same boat with my Memory Eater story. It's currently doing the rounds and I'm pretty sure it will sell somewhere else eventually; it's one of my favourite pieces of mine, which is nice considering I wasn't going to submit at first and banged it out in a few hours.

Good news on the acceptance; I'm looking forward to hearing more about that.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
R from Leodegraunce today for Bourgeoisie. Their next theme is "deception" so I guess I'll have to come up with a new story for that. :p

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
R from Leodegraunce today for Bourgeoisie. Their next theme is "deception" so I guess I'll have to come up with a new story for that. :p
I got mine today too. :Hug2:

Dang. I thought I'd nailed that one. Maybe I can send it somewhere else that takes flash. :Shrug:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((Aggy, Soapdish and Opinionated Ant))))

Sorry about the Rs.

I'm crapping myself over my inbox again. Crickets for ages and about 8 things over the average time.
I'm terrified they will all come in on the same day!

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
And on the 276th day, after months in the ether where lost submissions go, Apex has rejected Defiance and Darkness with a form. Yay?

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
This seems strange. Why would they dump the stories the previous editor was considering? Seems like those'd be the ones with promise, even if they didn't all totally fit.

Anyway, not much sense dwelling. Off to Clarkesworld we go, and onwards after that.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
And on the 276th day, after months in the ether where lost submissions go, Apex has rejected Defiance and Darkness with a form. Yay?

Oh dude, it's not quite as bad, but I know the feeling. I had a 90 day'n after my first ever story sat in "under consideration". Was a bit painful when that form arrived.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Nat. I had the same thing happen, though not quite so long. They hung on to a story for about 150 days and ultimately rejected it with a form. So don;t read much into it - they clearly did consider it, they just don't seem to like writing personal Rs.

Ship it off to Clarkesworld, and good luck!

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This seems strange. Why would they dump the stories the previous editor was considering? Seems like those'd be the ones with promise, even if they didn't all totally fit.

Anyway, not much sense dwelling. Off to Clarkesworld we go, and onwards after that.
Dang, Nat. :( But MAN, aren't you glad to finally have an answer? That's just a HORRIBLY long to wait. I know because I was right up there with ya.

Good luck at Clarkesworld!

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net

There's always the possibility of technical mishap (deleting the msses but not the record of what was submitted), and that's a good way to cover an oops.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else bummed about the incorrect use of "it's" in the Deborah Walker blog post ("Weird Tales has released it's stories on submission")? Just me? K...
Sorry--it just jumped out at me, gnawing at me like "I could care less." :eek:

Anyway, lots of :Hug2: for recent stingers!

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Anyone else bummed about the incorrect use of "it's" in the Deborah Walker blog post ("Weird Tales has released it's stories on submission")? Just me? K...
Sorry--it just jumped out at me, gnawing at me like "I could care less." :eek:

Anyway, lots of :Hug2: for recent stingers!

I'm more bummed that you'd point it out. Kind of pretentious, don't you think?

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Like I said, it just jumped out!
No offense meant--one of those writer/English major quirks...

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Noticing it and being bothered by it is fine. Pointing it out on a writing forum thread with 33,000 views is low-rent.

No offense meant--one of those normal/decent human being quirks.