UK, early 1600s, traveling, one or two rooms?

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm stumbling over a small detail in my WIP and can't find the answer. A married couple (Lord and Lady) are traveling and staying at an inn overnight. Would they share a room or have two separate rooms? I've found that it was customary for married nobility to have separate chambers at home, but what about during their travels?

Does anybody know about this/can anybody hazard a good guess?

It's not really important and I can just skip it, but I would like to have my WIP be as historically accurate as possible :)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
What Alessandra said. But - there is always a but with history! - they could, if wealthy/important enough, hire a whole inn. If they knew about the journey in advance they might have written to someone of their own social standing and asked for hospitality, that is they would have said they were passing through the area and asked to stay. Married people who had the luxury of separate bedrooms might not have wanted to stay at an inn - too low down the social scale!

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure the inns had the luxury of space for two rooms for two people. Didn't travelers often have to share beds with strangers, even? Because space was so tight.

That, too. It's a problem. I think I'm making too big of an issue out of something not even related to the plot. :) Now I'm considering what Shakesbear said below, having them stay somewhere else. Thanks!

What Alessandra said. But - there is always a but with history! - they could, if wealthy/important enough, hire a whole inn. If they knew about the journey in advance they might have written to someone of their own social standing and asked for hospitality, that is they would have said they were passing through the area and asked to stay. Married people who had the luxury of separate bedrooms might not have wanted to stay at an inn - too low down the social scale!

Thank you. I was considering this, too, and it's probably the best and most elegant solution. I think I actually geographically located a side character somewhere along the way to their destination, so I could use him.

Woo!

Kitti

procrastinatrix
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katotis.com
If they knew about the journey in advance they might have written to someone of their own social standing and asked for hospitality, that is they would have said they were passing through the area and asked to stay.

Since you said they were a Lord and Lady - this. Even if they didn't know about the journey in advance.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Especially as they would be unlikely to be travelling on their own. They'd have servants with them, maids and grooms, at least, I think.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
They would certainly travel in their own coach and have their own coachman. Servants would go in a a wagon thingy with the baggage.

Allen R. Brady

Registered
Reaction score
Shakesbear nailed it. Nobility would not be staying at an inn. They would be staying with other nobility, and it would probably not just be a stopover for the night. Traveling in the 17th century would have been more of an expedition than a jaunt. When you stop somewhere, you stop for a few days at least.

Airball

Registered
Reaction score
Second all of the above. Aristocrats wouldn't go near an inn, but they would find various cousins with whom they could stay for the duration of their journey.

And yes, with many, many retainers it would be more like royal progress than a happy couple hitting the road for a long weekend.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Just to add - amongst the upper classes, everyone knew everyone else. Whilst researching my book, I've constantly discovered that this or that famous figure was married to another famous person's sister, or they went to university together, or whatever. Add in the fact that rich folks had several houses scattered around England (a legacy of medieval kings' policy of splitting up their nobles' land to avoid creating powerful rivals) and your average well-born couple would have had friends everywhere.