Not open for further replies.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
amlptj has it, on the money.

I wrote two trunk novels that will never see the light of day just to get that stuff out of me that was out in front. In one, it was actually cathartic to kill off a few characters who'd brought with them a ton of pain, and in the other, I was able to give myself the fairy-tale ending I wasn't ever going to get in real life. Only once I got those out of the way was I able to get to what I really wanted to write.

The trunked books, by the way, were over-the-top in every regard: one so dark and depressing it made Sophie's Choice look almost like a lark, and the other one with such a syrupy sweet ending Disney could almost option it for a cartoon. But once all that mess was out of me, I was able to go back to what I really wanted to do and write the book I really wanted to write.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hahah yeah my book is REALLY REALLY REALLY dark too. Like back hole dark. Ironically thought it has my own dream fairy tale ending too.

Wow I really thought i was the only one who did this! Glad to know i'm not alone!

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
In my YA series Reality Shift, one of the main characters is very much me. Some of her experiences were mine; some of hers are worse than what I went through. Through the series, her life improves.

But there are still scenes I can't revise without crying, and there have been days when after revising one of those scenes, I've had to step away from my computer for the rest of the day.

I write/revise them anyway, because it does help me to get that stuff out, and because I hope it will help readers who might be going through similar things.

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
Thanks everyone. I brought this thread back because I hit a worse plateau than when I first started. I really do appreciate everyone who took the time to share their thoughts, both this morning and last year.

I couldn't reply back then for fear I'd cause another flame war, but I hope this time, things will be better.

Sometimes you need a reminder.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
C.J., it sounds like you're still really struggling to decide whether you should write something that really exposes your real feelings and/or experiences. Maybe you need to just try the experience of writing about that stuff without any expectation that this particular piece of writing will be published. Take some of the pressure off yourself to write something you can sell, and instead just experience writing as a form of expression. See what it does for you.

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
Libbie, that wasn't what I meant. It's not that I want to publish the book about my past and present living nightmares, I don't, but keeping it to myself is not the issue. I spent years writing away from what I dealt with and still do, just minus the high school motif, and even when I tried to engage it only for self-healing reasons, I still freeze up.

Because it takes me a pathetically long time to get over setbacks like this, I was afraid if I wrote the pain out, even if no one ever saw it but me, I was afraid I'd get stuck there, and there's a good reason why.

Since novel writing's been sparse in recent months, I started reading and writing poetry, and that helps at least a little.

But my recent poems have started me questioning the direction I want my writing to go. A lot of poems now tend to have this angst and power people have told me screams YA, yet the only YA novel I attempted I abandoned half done on a first draft. Why?

Two reasons. One, my mechanics were mortifying back then, and by the time I'd heard about Twilight, the paranormal market started on the comeback that's only now just starting to cool off a little, and since I was having a hard enough time with Gabriel fighting the stigma and pressures of competing with all the established MG animal fantasy novels, I didn't dare risk even worse scrutiny on my YA paranormal.

Did this YA novel deal with my particular life struggles? No.

In fact, with some exceptions, most of the stories I've written have MCs who are either more patient, way less bitter versions of myself, or just opposite me, not "perfect" little goody-two shoes mind you, just better anger management, and who don't turn on the tears nearly as easily.

Everybody who said to just give it the happy ending I never got, my last WIP did that, and let's just say that didn't go over well.

I think as far as YA in general goes, I didn't think I'd be that good at it, never mind that unlike some of you, it's not forever and a day ago for me, and until some folks recommended books to me that didn't thrive on the hot button subjects, I really knew of or read few books in YA until recently.

Most the bestselling YA novels I'm too chicken to read, or just too close to heart in order to read or write them authentically and with integrity, and angst in all the right places.

But I think it's just a matter of finding and reading the right books for me. Sometimes all it takes is the right writer or book to help you appreciate what you've been missing, and I think that's what is starting to help me now.

It took me some time, but I think I'll just put my novel writing on hold, since I'm having trouble thinking up a non-animal fantasy plot I'd actually have a shot at pulling off.

Since poetry is less demanding on me in some respects, despite my lackluster efforts to write short stories that don't feel hollow when restricted to under 500 words, and I'm better at it that I first thought, I'll focus on that for now. At least I'll still be writing something.

I'm also taking this time to catch up on some books that until recently I'd been too afraid/jealous to read, and I hated feeling that way. I still love reading, and the writers who made me want to write in the first place, but my ambition to improve mt craft blocked that from me at times.

It's better now.

I will say this though, and despite my bad attitude, this is something I hope a writer who's struggled as I have, will know this-

Maturity and Mortality rarely, both happen slow, and rarely work together in harmony. When they do, be thankful, when they don't, pray, and remember you need them both.

Or to put it bluntly, don't let dying without achieving your writing goals drive you nuts, or at least not drive those trying to help you nuts, but sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference, and I've sure learned that the hard ways in recent years.

So to end this on a positive note, I really do appreciate those who've commented and tried to console/commiserate with me, and I know I was a pain a lot of the time.

I really was listening, even when I projected otherwise, but all I can do is try to be a bit less angry and pressuring every day. I sure didn't get so bitter and negative overnight, so I can't rectify it that soon either.

But I do know that at my core, a happier, way less angry me still exists, I just have to remind myself of that, especially at low points like this.

This will take time. I know and appreciate that now. But at least admitting it is an important step, many people I know can't even do that much. Now I just need to better act on it. I was okay more or less for a while, but got off track, and after yesterday, I know the pattern I didn't see before that caused it.

Once I know what to watch for, I watch it better, so hopefully that's starting to happen now.

ArcadiaDarrell

tromping down the yellow brick road
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be an angry, negative person. I was downright ragefilled. I made Eminem on his worse day look serene as the Buddha. It is no easy task to get over that kind of negativity. There are days when you just feel like you're burning in side as the bitterness eats you alive. For me, I approached it like an addiction. You deal with it much like people in AA or NA or any of the As. Its a struggle but you have to concentrate on the good no matter how tiny AND STOP MAKING EXCUSES. when you get into a mind set of negativity its so easy to brush off the good as "not good enough."

And sometimes the best way to deal with bad things in life is to not deal with them at all. If things are truely bad you have 3 options: 1) go crazy; 2) die; 3) get over it. If someone claims their life is bad rambling on about it, well then it really isn't that bad 'cuase they're still waxing on.

You keep back tracking and making excuses. Do you want to deal with your pain and move beyond it? Or are you having a whiney moment?

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Since novel writing's been sparse in recent months, I started reading and writing poetry, and that helps at least a little.

Good! I love writing poetry, too. And reading it. It's got its own feel that (to me, anyway) allows a person to get closer and more directly to one's feelings. It's awesome. I'm glad it's helping you some.

A lot of poems now tend to have this angst and power people have told me screams YA, yet the only YA novel I attempted I abandoned half done on a first draft. Why?

Why do you have to write YA? The most angsty and powerful novels I've ever read have all been adult fiction. That's not to say that there aren't powerful, angsty YA novels...of course there are. But personally, the stuff that's moved me the most has all been adult fiction.

Have you ever read any John Updike? Or Joyce Carol Oates? If not, you ought to give both a try.

You seem very focused on breaking into either MG or YA (eventually -- I hear what you're saying now, that you're just enjoying poetry and reading, and not necessarily trying to get anything published at this point.) Maybe what you need to do is allow yourself to feel whatever story wants to come out, and write that, and enjoy the process of writing it without worrying about how it will be received.

Yes, marketing restrictions can really put a squeeze on the books you've spent a lot of time nurturing and creating. I know that as well as anybody. I finished a novel and a half, both of which I am really proud of, and I've had two agents and one editor tell me that the first (completed) novel falls too squarely between YA and adult, and that they can't figure out what exactly to do with it...but I don't think the story needs to change. There are areas that I could improve, of course, but overall, as a story, I don't think it HAS to be smooshed into either the YA mold or the adult mold. It's a good book as it is; it's not my fault that the market has become so compartmentalized that it's hard to sell anything that can't be unequivocally labeled. After a tough conversation with my agent, I decided to let this book and the unfinished sequel lie for an indefinite period of time. I'm going to move on to other projects that probably will be easier for the industry to define, and maybe some day when I have an established backlist I will find a publisher who's willing to take a chance on my YA/adult "cusp" book. It took me a little while to find some peace with that decision, but I know it's the right decision. I keep the integrity of my book(s) and I free myself up to focus my energy on the next project.

What I'm trying to tell you is, it's all right for you to say, "You know what, Industry? I like what I'm doing. Maybe some day we'll see eye-to-eye; in the meantime, I'm happy doing my thing so I'm going to keep on doing it." Actually, sometimes that feels really good.

Everybody who said to just give it the happy ending I never got, my last WIP did that, and let's just say that didn't go over well.

Don't ever, ever, EVER give your book somebody else's ending. Or somebody else's beginning. Or somebody else's characters. It has to be yours or it will never work.

I think as far as YA in general goes, I didn't think I'd be that good at it, never mind that unlike some of you, it's not forever and a day ago for me, and until some folks recommended books to me that didn't thrive on the hot button subjects, I really knew of or read few books in YA until recently.

YA isn't really my thing, either. It seems like everybody out there just expects authors to write YA, since it's hot and it's just about the only genre that's selling really well right now. But it's just not for everybody, plain and simple. Believe me, I've tried to motivate myself to write a YA book. I never could get into it. I love teens and have a great time hanging out with them (while I was a zoo keeper I worked with tons of teen volunteers) but I just have no desire at all to write for them.

It's totally fine if you're not a YA writer. It's totally fine if your writing is hard to define. It might make it tougher for you to get published some day, but you only need to find one editor who is ga-ga for what you do.

Most the bestselling YA novels I'm too chicken to read, or just too close to heart in order to read or write them authentically and with integrity, and angst in all the right places.

What are the RIGHT places? Art is not dictated, and art changes with every viewer (or in this case, reader.) However you approach and react to a work of art, including a YA novel, is the RIGHT way to do it. And I'm sure any author would rather they evoked some strong emotion in you, no matter what it is or where they managed to evoke it, than they would have their book be just another cookie-cutter YA novel to you. :)

It took me some time, but I think I'll just put my novel writing on hold, since I'm having trouble thinking up a non-animal fantasy plot I'd actually have a shot at pulling off.

If you feel inspired to write animal fantasies for adults (or for anybody else), then do it. Richard Adams went through years of rejections for Watership Down before he found just the right editor for it. And that book has never gone out of print since 1972. So there's pie in the eye of everybody who says adults don't want to read animal fantasies.

Since poetry is less demanding on me in some respects, despite my lackluster efforts to write short stories that don't feel hollow when restricted to under 500 words, and I'm better at it that I first thought, I'll focus on that for now. At least I'll still be writing something.

Again, I'm glad you're writing poetry and finding some satisfaction with it. And I'm really glad you're motivated to keep on writing. But I kind of don't get your approach to all this. Why do you feel so discouraged if you can't conform to what's expected? Who told you you have to keep a short story under 500 words? You can write short fiction that is thousands of words long. It's still considered short fiction. I'd also like to point out that all three forms of writing you're exploring -- novels, poetry, and short fiction -- take three very different skill sets. They do overlap in some areas, but for the most part they are three entirely different skills you'll need to learn before you feel comfortable with them. So just because you had a few lackluster short stories, don't feel down in the dumps. Writing a short story is not at all like writing a novel or a poem! It takes practice and familiarity with the form.

Maturity and Mortality rarely, both happen slow, and rarely work together in harmony. When they do, be thankful, when they don't, pray, and remember you need them both.

Or to put it bluntly, don't let dying without achieving your writing goals drive you nuts, or at least not drive those trying to help you nuts, but sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference, and I've sure learned that the hard ways in recent years.

That is true!

I'd also like you to remember that part of the joy of life is allowing yourself to feel and express a variety of emotions, including the negative ones you want to suppress. Own them and channel them into constructive or productive forms of expression, but don't stifle your emotions just because you think you should.

And don't write anything because you think you're supposed to, or because other people think you should. Write what you know you want to write. Tell the stories you want to tell. To hell with anything else.

HUGS!

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I don't write about anything close to me. I don't like reliving it. I've already tread that ground many times by talking about it. So I don't write about it. Writing is my fun times, I get to create my own fantasy world, new people and new adventures. I'm not bringing my real life, emotions and events into it. It's not that kind of world. you write what makes you happy not what you think you should write.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.