E-Readers Anonymity Boosts Romance Novel Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this is no surprise to many Aw'ers or those who read e-books, but it is nice to hear.

As the title suggest, e-readers, have boosted racy romance sales. Here is the article from Switched.

http://www.switched.com/2010/12/10/...e-novel-sales/?icid=maing|main5|5|link6|30752

The article title is a little misleading, as the article is talking about the anonymity e-readers have in a public setting, so know one knows what they are reading. Romance though has reaped the benefit...

Hell, it could be a terrorist reading a how to book instead of a romance and the e-reader would still allow the anonymity...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Personally I found the tone of this and other recent coverage rather patronising. Basically saying shame sells romance ebooks, not business savvy and good stories. My full rant is here.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory,

Read the rant and I agree with many of your comments, especially about the authors not worrying about literary laurels and being a smart business person. Nicely said.

Still, in any of these articles, its the sex sells headlines that catch peoples attention... Posting about the smarts of the authors to fill a nitch might not catch the eyes of a passing visitor on these sites...

I like your blog and have marked it as a save... Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Oh and sexiness has a lot to do with sales, no mistake. Sometimes even some of the authors seem to be a bit in denial about that side of it.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Its interesting to know that when I track what is bought through my amazon ads (a generic ad that goes to amazon with my referral and doesn't point toward a specific product), that there is nearly a neat 50/50 mix of religious ebooks and erotica being bought.

BJThornton

Writer, and stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bjthornton.com
Oh and sexiness has a lot to do with sales, no mistake. Sometimes even some of the authors seem to be a bit in denial about that side of it.

Word.

I hadn't thought about e-readers making this contribution. Good news for sales, even if it doesn't help to legitimize the writing.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com

<-- not in denial. I am very conscious of heat levels and how sex plays into marketing. That said, I like to believe that despite some of what's on the market, it's not all sex and a strong plot with sexy interaction will be just as marketable as a sexfest.

The implication that people are ashamed to be seen reading romance or erotic romance is troubling for me, and I hate hearing people say they don't admit to reading it or it's their 'dirty little secret.' I do admit there are some books I wouldn't want to be seen in public because i don't feel the covers are appropriate for public viewing. A nude model is one thing when I'm at home, but when I'm somewhere with children present or around a more conservative person who would be embarrassed by the image, I don't feel comfortable pulling the book out. (I do live in a very conservative town.)

Personally, I believe romance/erotic romance is such a driving force in ebooks because:

1) erotic romance e-publishers were at the forefront in developing and marketing the ebook industry

and

2) romance and erotic romance readers tend to be avid readers. They tend to buy more books and read faster than readers of many other venues. My best guess is this is because romance and ER tend to be more escapist than many genres, allowing readers to devour a book and move.

Status
Not open for further replies.