PRESIDIO, TEXAS & VICINITY 1911 - 1914

ichMael

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mail.moment.net
PRESIDIO, TEXAS & VICINITY 1911 - 1914

That's the title I gave to a group of 156 high-resolution scans I did about a year ago. The pictures were taken by a woman who taught school in Presidio during that time.

I got the copyright registration certificate today and will now look for a way to connect with a historian interested in the period. Hopefully these never-before-published pictures will serve to enhance a text.

Anyway, I have no experience with this kind of thing. Do any of you? Is there a specific way to go about finding an author in need of pictures like these?

These pics cover the trip to Presidio, living and teaching conditions there, trips to the Mexican town just across the border (Ojinaga, Mexico), and photos of the revolutionary activity in the area at the time. Several pictures of troops amassing for the Battle of Ojinaga (a Villa victory), the aftermath, people fleeing, and so on. A fascinating group of photos.

Any advice on how to pursue this would be greatly appreciated.

http://mail.moment.net/~michael/WatchingaBattle.JPG

That's a link to one of the scans I reduced and uploaded. People watching the Battle of Ojinaga from across the Rio Grande in Presidio. That's Presidio's post office. This scan was reduced about 95% to make it the size you see. These scans are very high resolution, and any part of that image could be isolated and enlarged, for detail. I really think this would be a pictorial treasure trove for someone writing about the period.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like what really ought to be done is put the scans into a non-fiction book that's primarily pictorial. Can you write captions for all the pictures or are you unsure what some of them are? I don't think you'd need more than about ten pages of text telling the history of the period, the players, and the role Presidio played. Can you do that, or is that where you need help?

One thought would be to see if there is a historical society in Presidio with someone interested in / decent in writing who could help with the text. Another option might be to go through the Texas Historical Society. Third, would be to see if you can find someone by advertising on Craigslist. I think you need to find someone close enough to you location-wise that you could work together. Most of us on here are far away from Texas (but that's not to say someone won't show up here - we do have one Texan in historical).

Hope the thoughts help. Make sure you know what you think is the best outcome for the pictures before you link up with someone. Puma

ichMael

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mail.moment.net
Thanks for the input.

I was thinking that these scans could be used to supplement a historical text, but yeah, the pictures should be interesting enough to publish as they are. I could probably do a decent caption for each shot, but I'm not sure I'd be up to writing a history of the period. It would be superficial at best. I write fiction, not history.

But I think you've hit on the best way to handle these. After I finish the novel I'm writing, I'll check to see if there's a Presidio historical society. Maybe they'll have someone who can help with an introduction. If not, I'll give it a shot.

Never thought about non-fiction publishing before, so that's why I'm stumbling around on this. If I make any headway on the project I'll leave a note back here.

Thanks again.

Mike

Selah March

Registered
Reaction score
I wish you luck with this, ichMael.

Coincidentally, I've been fiddling around with a short novella set in present-day Presidio. I chose it because I needed a less-well-known Texas border town surrounded by miles and miles of nothing much, and it fits the bill. :)

I don't know if I'll finish the story, but in doing research I've developed a weird affection for the town, so I'm interested in your project. Please do keep us in the loop.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to have such a book. My people were in Shafter/Marfa from 1887-1919. In my research I have not found a historical society for Presidio County, but there is the Big Bend Genealogical Society. The email address I found is suspect, so here is their snail mail: BBGS PO Box 1251 Alpine TX 79831. They might be able to hook you up with someone.

MM

ichMael

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mail.moment.net
I shall certainly report back Selah March. You picked well in picking miles and miles of nothing much.

And thank you MaryMumsy for looking into the Genealogical Society. I'll probably be in touch with them. The first 4-5 photos in the album are of the trip from Marfa to Presidio. There's a picture labeled "Silver Mine." I think the mine would have been around Shafter.

ichMael

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mail.moment.net
Okay. I have a package ready to show to a publisher. A large pdf.

I defaced a copy of each scan with "not for distrubution" and "copyright," etc. (gotta protect unauthorized reproduction). I then embedded the altered photos in chronological order in the pdf and placed a 1- to 3-sentence caption beneath each photo. The pdf is too large to email, but I figure I can query via email or snail mail and then mail a disc to interested parties.

The task now will be to find an appropriate publisher. Several universities in Texas have imprints (University of Texas, Texas A&M, and so on), so I can contact those, but before I do that I'll search for publishers with a broader reach.

Any suggestions on such publishers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ichmael - One of the best things to do is go to a bookstore and look at who is printing similar books. For example, here in Ohio there are a large number of books on old towns - German Cincinnati, Cincinnati's Golden Age, Cincinnati's "Over the Rhine" (neighborhood), etc. If I wanted to have a non-fiction book on old Ohio published, whoever is doing the ones already in print would be one of my first hits. Spending some time researching in a bookstore can be well worth the effort. Puma

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I would try Arcadia Publishing. If you can maybe try to find a collaborator or some more background information, all you would really need are some labels for your pix and a little intro. They have books for places all over the country. I've used them quite a bit in my genealogy. Good luck!

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

ichMael

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mail.moment.net
Just sent off a proposal to Texas Western Press:

http://www.utep.edu/twp/

I figured I'd try the more sizable presses in Texas and then look elsewhere, like Arcadia (great site, thanks). Hope this project gets picked up. Some really interesting photos in it.

Thanks all for the suggestions.