Protocol of following up with agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassyscribe

Hi kids,
I'm new to the whole representation game and thought I'd ask the experts for some feedback :) After receiving my query, an agent asked to see my nonfiction book proposal. I sent it about a week ago; any thoughts on how long I should wait before following up and how long I might expect to hear from her? (Or do some agents never respond if at all if not interested?) Also, is it ok to keep submitting to other agents in the interim?

Thanks!

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
It could take an agent a month, two months, three months, sometimes a lot longer to get back to you. If you don't hear back from her after three months, I would follow up with an email or snail mail letter (depending on what her guidelines say regarding submittals). The follow up can be as simple as "Hello, I submitted my manuscript X to you December 1, I'm just inquiring about its status." Just be polite.

Agents will normally respond even if not interested.

If the agent's guidlines say "multiple queries are allowed" then you are free to do multiple submissions. If the guidelines do NOT say anything about multiple submissions, then you should put in your query letter or proposal cover letter that you are sending out multiple submissions.

Keep in mind that you never pay an agent money for anything. And always check your agent against the lists in Preditors and Editors.

Good luck, and please keep us posted! What is your topic, if you don't mind my asking?

allen

Status
Not open for further replies.