JHS for October 2008

jfleming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mochawriter.com
Hi all. I'm Jamie. This is my first time posting in a JHS thread, but I started JHSing after reading the thread from September. So, here are my October goals, in a nutshell:

• 5-7 queries a week
  • post in blog 3-5 times a week
  • submit articles assigned (for thesavvygal, nicolewilliams, and a local newspaper)

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Jamie welcome to the madness! We promise not to corrupt you too much! :)P

Jen - thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to start working about it right away.

Just put two new articles and a question of the day up at Notebook News, check it out!

Last edited:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I put some "Neglectful Jen" posts up on Confessions of a Fat Chick and The Idea Pocket.

I...um...also started a new blog. Yeah, yeah, I know. I don't need a new one. lol. But, regardless, it's Tarot & Pendulum Practice. What's the difference in writing in out longhand in a notebook and posting it in a blog? It's equal time spent, really. lol

a_morris

Life long learner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anitamorris.net
I'm still new to freelance writing so my goals are modest.

• write and submit at least four articles
  • post to my food blog at least once a week. It got totally neglected last month
  • write and submit greeting card ideas
  • write another 10k on my novel for 20k total
  • start research for the Saqarra article query (needs a bibliography)

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Welcome Jaime and a_morris!

Arisa81, sounds like you've got some great idea fodder to turn into queries!

raven, hey, you're off to a start!

heiddi, as a fellow therapist I understand the frustration caused by misinformation. That sounds like a very useful idea. Parents need reliable sources...there's way too much misinformation about autism floating around nowadays.

I just got a go-ahead for an article in my email this morning and my husband is riding herd on me to get some stuff in the mail (I directed him yesterday to bug me about it today. A good nibble on an LOI too. It's a start-up mag on a topic I love so I hope that one pans out.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm back from my self-imposed sabbatical, the new improved plaidearthworm. I'm 30 pounds lighter, a lot less stressed, and feeling better about life, the universe, and everything. Honestly, I don't have too many writing goals this month, since I've learned that stepping away from the internet doesn't kill me, and gives me time to go mountain biking. But I just received another assignment last night, which gives me two to complete by Oct. 23. I also have OCW next weekend, and I'll start updating Wisecrack Zodiac again this week. I'm prepping for NaNoWriMo, since I'm the Eureka Springs ML, so lots of work to be done there. I hope JHSers will give NaNo a try this year, because it is a lot of crazy fun. If you don't have a NaNo ML or group close by, my group always adopts stragglers, no matter where they live.

On a separate note, has anyone heard from Amy, the Absolute Write editor? My humor piece was supposed to run in August, but I haven't seen a newsletter for quite a while. I tried emailing her, but it was bounced back. Anyone have the inside scoop?

Thanks all, more power to each and every one of you. Achieve your dreams!

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
I drafted a press release for my writer site last night. Forgot to share that earlier. :)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Congrats, Plaid! :)

Well...My submission package is presentable. It's not perfect, but it's presentable. :)

I've done...nothing else writing-wise much today except for posts on Tarot & Pendulum Practice. (Check out the Tarot Zodiac for October 2008 & feel free to tell me how far off-base I am. :D )

Instead of writing, today I slept late, did some tidying up in my rooms, and went to town to the bead store and the book store. I even had lunch out while I was out & about. :)

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Just poking my head in the door to say, "Hi."

I finally posted on my blog. I am back on schedule with it. A family health emergency took over and then everything that could go wonky did. Even my dog got into the act when she wagged her tail so hard she fractured it...true story. So anyway- I don't think I'll post goals. I am just going to get back on track with my blog and with networking, and then focus on book writing. In fact, I'll be doing National Novel Writing Month again in November. I didn't do so good last year, but this year, I've got a really great idea.

So you guys keep up those great goals and I'll be cheering for you. Oh and for anyone interested, I'll be relaunching "Photo Finish Fridays" next Friday. All you have to do is take a photo from your recent or distant past and write 100 words about it. Then let me know and I'll link to you. It's a lot of fun and sort of forces you to get your stories written down. Plus, if you're stuck for something to blog about, there you have it; instant post-in-a-box. LOLOLOL ~Karen

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
HUGE HUGS, Karen. So glad to see you here again, goals or no goals posted. :)

I'm going to do NaNo again too. I'm going to work on "Benen's Burden," the third in the Maguire Men series in central Ireland during the Middle Ages. :)

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
HI Karen! Great to see you. Sorry to hear about the family issues. Hope everything will be okay. :)

I just finished importing info from one blog to another and now I have to design the site. And the to edit my press release to match. I also have some jobs to apply for and some subs to make for other sites. It's so weird how quickly I've been moving over the last month. Guess that's what happens when everything gets so out of whack that you look for a positive distraction. :)

Update: I finished the writer website and my own site. I'll need to review the press release to send out to some of my contacts. I can't wait to let people know about the writer site!

Last edited:

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
I just redesigned the noteworthy news page on the Notebook News. It has now been changed to Family News. So now my family adventures have a special place.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I've been a slug today. lol. I did some laundry and made two necklaces.

There's a new tutorial up at The Beaded Jen Tribune.

I have posts up at Creatif (free photography course lesson 1) and Tarot Pendulum & Practice (card of the day & pendulum practice).

That's pretty much the only writing-related stuff for today. Oh, except the Creatif post was last night. My goof. *s*

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Well, Jen, you've done lots more writing related stuff than I have so far today! I'm gonna get on the stick now tho' and do some queries.

I got a nibble on an LOI and an old assignment popped up from suspended animation, so I need to take some photos for that tomorrow. Other than that it's been kinda quiet so I'm going to pull out some query ideas that have been laying around, flesh 'em out, and JHS 'em.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
boy do you all make me feel lazy :) The bout of the flu I had last month hit me yesterday, thankfully it's only a 25-72 hour bug and by Monday I plan to be up and running. So nothing from me til then. Havea good weekend everyone!

raven

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I just wanted to check in here. So far I have written and submitted 5 new pieces.
Yesterday an editor e-mailed me asking me to write a quiz for her. :) So, that's what I'll be working on the next couple of days.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Way to go April! Great job!
Mysti - so glad to know Simon is doing great! Left a comment. :)

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Not that I know of. I haven't heard from her on twitter. maybe she did and hasn't had a chance to get online.

I just applied for a writing job! Let's see what happens. It was a craigslist ad. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Last edited: