the only rugby union fan

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Ill luck and poor discipline screwed us.

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
as a welsh man i cant possibly say i watched fra eng as a neutral but still i find it easy to say, well done england, you really tested those guys last night.well done MJ for finaly giving foden a run and for using flood at flyhalf to get those backs going . floods distribution was key to eng's early success and johnny did a good job at the end-a massive kick from the wounded wonder. a great tactical sub as he could have landed a winning drop at the end.

ire sco. what a game, a fantastic display. passion, pride and a hard, hard edge. a brutal and beautiful disply of rugby at its most exciting.

wal ita. :) ok it was a weakened italy but they could have upset wales, it could have happened, but our lions, gethin and mikky phillips proved their worth to wales and showed how badly we have missed them. great debutant displays from young Prydie and Warburton, a big furture in wales for these guys.
well done to italy for never giving up. the consolation try at the death was well deserved but little real reward for italys effort this term. with two italian teams entering the celtic league next season this could be the last year we look at italy as a sure thing game

a crazy tournament this year but to the champions,

grand slam. c'est bon

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I just joined a club forming in Kansas City. Our first practice is on Thursday. Rugby is not particularly televised in the States, so I think I'm in for a lot of learning.

It's a particularly agressive practice schedule I think, with us starting pick-up games in September. I hope that's enough time. :D

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
First practice last night! Ibuprofen this morning!

Congrats on surviving your first practice.

I started playing rugby about a year and a half ago. I play 7s. There's no womens 15s in the middle east, though I think I'd be a better 15s player.

Any thoughts on positions you'd like to play?

P.S how's everyone enjoying the Tri Nations?

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I believe last night was my fifth practice/our sixth practice. We have around 30 guys coming regularly, about 18 available for each practice. Ibuprofen again this morning, but I am having a blast. :D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
P.S how's everyone enjoying the Tri Nations?
Happy to see the All Blacks performing like a cohesive unit again; these rule changes have really slotted in with the natural way they play. Too early to get excited about their World Cup chances next year (we all know they have a habit of choking at the big tournament) but if the rules stay the same the World Cup will be a much freer flowing affair than the previous one.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I think based on recent practices I'm probably going to be playing one of the wings.

We had our Annual General Meeting last night which seemed to go well. I'm hoping to see good things come out of that. In the States, it's hard to get rugby coverage, so I must admit to some amount of ignorance on the Tri Nations.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I think based on recent practices I'm probably going to be playing one of the wings.

We had our Annual General Meeting last night which seemed to go well. I'm hoping to see good things come out of that. In the States, it's hard to get rugby coverage, so I must admit to some amount of ignorance on the Tri Nations.

I played Wing my first year. I then moved to prop for my second year. It sounds a little weird, but it was a good decision. Though, my shoulders still hate me for it.

Tri Nations are a series of games between New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I played Wing my first year. I then moved to prop for my second year. It sounds a little weird, but it was a good decision.
That is an unusual move. Were you playing in a grade where there wasn't much difference in size across positions?

Tri Nations are a series of games between New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa.
Which, just quietly, New Zealand won on the weekend.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
That is an unusual move. Were you playing in a grade where there wasn't much difference in size across positions?

Which, just quietly, New Zealand won on the weekend.

We play 7s and I was always a bigger wing player, but we had a large team at the time, so there weren't many back row players.

This year, we had a ton of back row players and only a few front rows, so I moved up.

And woot new Zealand!

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to New Zealand. :D

I finally watched a preseason game in person a couple of Saturdays ago. Those guys made it seem a lot less rough-and-tumble than I was expecting. Then we did a bunch of tackling practice at the Thursday practice right after that, and I swiftly changed my mind. :D

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
We had our first scrimmage on Sunday, which we broke into 20-minute quarters, because the guys on my team are about 90% brand new to rugby, so there was a lot of learning to be done still.

I played left wing. We were without any back subs because a lot of our backs had prior commitments. We ended up having to borrow from the forwards. But in the end, all went well.

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
i have not been here for a long time.

i checked in to see if anyone was writing about the golf. was surprised to see some people were still posting on this old rugby thread.

well done darkprince for taking up the game. i played left wing too, which was the worst possition for me as i am not fast and cant pass to my right. i should have been a prop, i have the build for it now. dont play anymore, i hyperextended my right knee a few years back, still walk with a limp when it's cold.

here is some rugby humour from the canadians

http://www.suite101.com/content/rugby-balls---a-z-of-rugby-union-a-k-a282841

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it appears outside of a couple of story research threads, this is the place to go to talk about rugby. Thanks Jerry! I hope the knee doesn't give you too much trouble. Aches and pains aren't much fun.

I seem to do okay passing right, but I need to work on my kicks to really be effective on the left side. That's okay though because I've been moved to outside center for our tourney on Oct. 30. I haven't seen the bracket yet, I imagine that'll come on the day of.

WelshWriter

Registered
Reaction score
As a Welsh man I have no choice but to love rugby - we're forced into it!

Seriously though I am proper obsessed with it - and very excited that under armour (who make the Welsh shirts) have given me box tickets to watch Wales vs Oz this weekend - simply because I blog about Welsh rugby!

I still play as well, just moved to London so playing her now - a team called Old Alleynians in South London

p.s. we're going to get hammered this November

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
As a Welsh man I have no choice but to love rugby - we're forced into it!

Seriously though I am proper obsessed with it - and very excited that under armour (who make the Welsh shirts) have given me box tickets to watch Wales vs Oz this weekend - simply because I blog about Welsh rugby!

I still play as well, just moved to London so playing her now - a team called Old Alleynians in South London

p.s. we're going to get hammered this November
Yay for free tickets.

Australia might still be coming down off their high from beating the ABs, so your lads could be in with a chance. The Aussie forward pack is rubbish (bar Pocock), so if you shut him down you should be able to monster them both at scrum and ruck time.