Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
USA played well.... and got lucky
Exactly.

But goalkeeping is a big part of the game, and Tim Howard, a fine keeper, can be the difference in a close game.

The US played reasonably well and are capable of playing even better. Of course, they're also fully capable of playing worse. And I don't trust Bradley's personnel decisions.

Green's gaffe was a gift, but he did make the best save of the match on Altadore's close range blast -- he and the woodwork.

England has the superior individual talent, without question, but they're going to have to come together better as a team if they want to go deep into the tournament.

I was happy to see France play listlessly -- they don't deserve to be in the Cup in the first place.

And much as I appreciate the play of Argentina, I'm hoping for an early exit for them, if only to see the last of that git Maradona on the international scene. (If you'll pardon the Britishism.)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I'm actually pulling for Argentina this go-round. Maradona is like an older Jimmy Connors during his rebirth: I know he's an @ss, has always been an @ss, and will always be an @ss, but somehow it doesn't bother me so much, anymore.

And as a matter of course, I oppose Italy, Spain, France, and Brazil. Cuz they all suck on ice.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly.

But goalkeeping is a big part of the game, and Tim Howard, a fine keeper, can be the difference in a close game.

The US played reasonably well and are capable of playing even better. Of course, they're also fully capable of playing worse. And I don't trust Bradley's personnel decisions.

Green's gaffe was a gift, but he did make the best save of the match on Altadore's close range blast -- he and the woodwork.

England has the superior individual talent, without question, but they're going to have to come together better as a team if they want to go deep into the tournament.

I was happy to see France play listlessly -- they don't deserve to be in the Cup in the first place.

And much as I appreciate the play of Argentina, I'm hoping for an early exit for them, if only to see the last of that git Maradona on the international scene. (If you'll pardon the Britishism.)

Green made a meal of Altidore's shot. It was very close to him, he should have got more on it.
Don't understand why Wright-Phillips is in the squad let alone on the pitch.
You're quite right - England need to play better, particularly they need to take the chances they create.

A better team than Nigeria would have punished Argentine for their defensive weaknesses.

Last edited:

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
You're not the only one Celina. My Aunt can't stand that noise.

On the US VS. England

Damn early goal. The US fan in me is bummed by that early goal. The Liverpool fan in me is cheering for Gerrard. Of course if he played like that during the season 'Pool might have had a better showing

I can't believe Green's howler. What a gift! It was a strange game but a draw was a fair result. US played well and got lucky. As for England we need to play better and maybe James should be in goal as he does have more experience. We went to a bar in Manhattan and somehow CBS tv heard about our rivalry, the wife is American and I'm English so they came to the bar to interview us! :D

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A better team than Nigeria would have punished Argentine for their defensive weaknesses.

Maybe, but a slightly luckier--or more comfortable--Argentina would have easily put four in the net. I don't think anyone is much looking forward to facing Argentina. Too many possibilities. They're all hoping Argentina blows it in group play.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'm actually pulling for Argentina this go-round. Maradona is like an older Jimmy Connors during his rebirth: I know he's an @ss, has always been an @ss, and will always be an @ss, but somehow it doesn't bother me so much, anymore.
It's not just that he's an ass. Not just that he was a cocaine addict -- that's one thing. But he also was sent home from the 94 world cup for performance doping. (Ephedrine)

In addition, the famous Hand of God goal was a purposeful, deliberate action -- in short, calculated cheating. And he's proud of it, brags about it. Despite his astonishing skills, he's the antithesis of what sport should be. Why he was chosen to head the Argentine squad is a mystery to me.

And he's a ass.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Given the propensity so many star athletes have for cheating--in every sport--I can't get worked up over him in the same way that I used to.

And no matter how flagrant the "Hand of God" was, there's no getting around the brilliance that led up to that moment. For me, it's no worse than the dives some take in the box to get that penalty kick. There are a couple of "superstars" that excel in this skill playing in the World Cup, too.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Given the propensity so many star athletes have for cheating--in every sport--I can't get worked up over him in the same way that I used to.
Very few of them are proud of it and brag about their cleverness.

But let's not make this into a Maradona derail.

If you want to see how the game should be played -- the beautiful game -- look no further than Lionel Messi.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Ahh Messi. A joy. Apparently Maradona described him as selfish etc. not that i want to derail or anything...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Very few of them are proud of it and brag about their cleverness.
Hmmm...I don't know about that. I think they're always proud when they "win." And they always take the money don't they?

But let's not make this into a Maradona derail.
Okay.

If you want to see how the game should be played -- the beautiful game -- look no further than Lionel Messi.
Right. I'd prefer a field full of Messis. Hell, I'd settle for a field full of Australians...

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I watched Green at Norwich and never saw him make a mistake anywhere close to that awful. Funny what nerves can do.

I thought the USA were lively and had a few chances, but England had more and should have won the match. Can't understand why Wright-Phillips gets in the team and Walcott stays home. At least Walcott has had one good England game.

And no matter how flagrant the "Hand of God" was, there's no getting around the brilliance that led up to that moment.

Paul Parker miskicking a ball over the heads of the England defence? Brilliant wasn't the word I'd used to describe it.

And ITV show how utterly it's possible to mess up by cutting to adverts while England are scoring.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
A bit harsh Green's been given the 'Hand of Clod' title. Peed me off that Gerrard nor Lampard or any other team member offered any support to Green. They just turned their backs. Rather he screw-up now when it can be repaired than later on when it can't.

Lol. Just heard that apparantly the 2010 refs are being taught the top 20 swear words in English.

Anyone know where they can get a copy of the profanisaurus?

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The American press gets overexcited about their team's so-so performance, and goes on to demonstrate a poor grasp of arithmetic:

zit.jpg

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
The American press gets overexcited about their team's so-so performance, and goes on to demonstrate a poor grasp of arithmetic:

zit.jpg

:ROFL:Imagine the headlines if they HAD won it! Btw if they'd lost 1-0 do you think they'd still claim a 1-0 win because they only let in 1?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Algeria and Slovenia looked unimpressive so the USA should start favourites against both.
You guys up for the challenge?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
That's a take off on another famous sports headline (also tongue in cheek) from the sixties:

"Harvard Beats Yale, 29-29"

They even made a movie about it.

You should be flattered; it's a tacit acknowledgment that the English side is the superior one.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Algeria and Slovenia looked unimpressive so the USA should start favourites against both.
You guys up for the challenge?
Obviously both England and the US were hoping for a 1-1 tie.

But yes, USA (and certainly England) should win both those games. For the US, it's one thing to gain a point against a very good team, but they have to show they can defeat lower ranked teams as well. If not, they don't deserve to advance.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I know nothing about soccer. But I have to say it:

GO USA!

Go where?

I never thought England would beat the USA in the first game, anyway. Eighth in the world versus thirteenth. The Americans were the only team to beat the Spaniards in about the last five decades and came damn close to winning the Confederations Cup. Weirdly, England have only become overwhelming favourites in that match after it was over. There's also an eye-opening streak of Anglophobia in American life that I've occasionally noticed. Seems to be getting worse at the moment.

Of course England and the USA are going to go through. Algeria and Slovenia looked awful. I have an odd feeling Slovenia are going to prove tricky for the USA, though.