General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell if you're saying "heh, figures" in response to Kalafina doing Sora no Woto's OP or saying "heh, figures" in response to, well, figures.

The former. With a hint of: I'm always surprised, am I not?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished watching Adolescence of Utena. While I thoroughly enjoyed, I appreciate that the multitude of abstractions might not be to everyone's taste, and I still prefer End of Evangelion.

I'll have fun rewatching the series, of course.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't notice this myself when I was browsing the winning entries a couple nights ago. Luckily, a fellow Evageek pointed it out.

Look what won Best of Show in the 20th International Obfuscated C Contest: akari.c

(Hint.)

If you have a C compiler around, I highly recommend actually running it. It's fun.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't notice this myself when I was browsing the winning entries a couple nights ago. Luckily, a fellow Evageek pointed it out.

Look what won Best of Show in the 20th International Obfuscated C Contest: akari.c

(Hint.)

If you have a C compiler around, I highly recommend actually running it. It's fun.

Okay, I don't have a C compiler around, so I didn't download the file. I clicked on the "Hint" link and read it. So what is it that I tried and failed to understand? I understood so little that I'm still in the pre-confusion stage.

[My Japanese is not the best, but I think they may have taken a few liberties with that Survival Strategy fansub. The ideo of your body relying on Microsoft is scary, though. What happens if you don't want to upgrade, but they cease support?]

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I don't have a C compiler around, so I didn't download the file. I clicked on the "Hint" link and read it. So what is it that I tried and failed to understand? I understood so little that I'm still in the pre-confusion stage.

It's an image downsampler. Based on YuruYuri's Akari. Basically, it shrinks images, including ASCII art, which the source code happens to be, in the shape of Akari's head. If you compile it and run it on its own source code, the resulting code is a smaller version of Akari's head, which is also valid source code (for an image expander). If you run the original Akari on the smaller version of Akari's head, it results in yet a smaller version of Akari's head, which is again valid source code, which if you compile and run, prints out "yuruyuri." If you run it again on the yet smaller version of Akari's head, it again results in a smaller version of Akari's head that is again valid source code, which if you compile and run, prints out "YU RU YU RI."

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
It's an image downsampler. Based on YuruYuri's Akari. Basically, it shrinks images, including ASCII art, which the source code happens to be, in the shape of Akari's head. If you compile it and run it on its own source code, the resulting code is a smaller version of Akari's head, which is also valid source code (for an image expander). If you run the original Akari on the smaller version of Akari's head, it results in yet a smaller version of Akari's head, which is again valid source code, which if you compile and run, prints out "yuruyuri." If you run it again on the yet smaller version of Akari's head, it again results in a smaller version of Akari's head that is again valid source code, which if you compile and run, prints out "YU RU YU RI."

That's impressive. And oddly fitting.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
(Wasn't sure where to put this.)

So I need to create a newsletter for a college course, and the theme I decided to go with was sub-cultures, specifically video games, anime, and MLP. Also considering writers, but I don't know if writers really have any stigma against them . . .

Edit: I got a better idea for the newsletter.
It still focuses on sub-cultures, but instead of looking for stigma, I'm going to focus instead on influence/impact/effects that the sub-culture has had on people's lives. It can be almost anything notable, positive or negative.

I still require interviews, but again, they're really nothing serious.

If anyone around here has any sort of experience(s) or stories of the influence anime has had in their lives and they would be willing to share, please just send me a PM and we can go from there. :)

If you have any questions you can PM me or reply to this thread.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
(Wasn't sure where to put this.)
If anyone around here has any sort of experience(s) or stories of the influence anime has had in their lives and they would be willing to share, please just send me a PM and we can go from there. :)

Anime has had no influence on my life. You can tell because there is no Japanese influence whatsoever in my writing. Oh, wait... :D

PM incoming.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always willing to tell people how Evangelion saved my life.

Okay, maybe that's only slightly hyperbolic. But only slightly.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I know there's a sub-culture surrounding anime, but I don't really feel part of that. I've been watching anime all my life. I just called them Japanese Cartoons for much of it. There's no a-ha moment. Nothing. It's just something I've always liked, and that like developed alonside me. It's linked to video games, too. I don't read manga, though I browse some in shops. If you have questions, send me a PM, but I might not have anything interesting to say.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't participated much in the otaku subculture IRL. I'm too much of a shut-in for that. Which probably recursively places me very much in otaku subculture. Oops.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
I like the original Saki; it's over-the-top with mah-jong-superpowers, and lots of weird characters. While Chihayafuru goes for realism depicting the game, Saki tends to go for the symbolic (with one character being so unobtrusive that people forget to pay attention to the tiles they lay out, for example; the titular character has the ability to always finish with score of zero that she neither wins nor loses.) The Achiga Hen spin off has shown some signs of this, but nothing too drastic yet. But Saki is worth a watch.
Ok, I've seen most of Saki now. It's entertaining with lots of characters (20 individual players just in the main match) and subplots. The Mahjong super-powers are fun, like the invisible girl yes, though some powers are too overpowering to make some of the games interesting. There are also many fun games, though. The series had a strong momentum from the beginning, with many minor conflicts. Achiga-hen seems less entertaining since they have had less resistance so far.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Achiga-hen seems less entertaining since they have had less resistance so far.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Achiga-hen seems to be less stylised over-all. The character design seems more uniform and less stylish, too; it's not just the play style (of which we haven't seen too much). And they reference Saki so much that it sometimes overpowers the story. It's like it's not even trying to catch up with the original. Couple that with the cut-throat pacing (I think we may have already covered more time than the entire Saki two-cour), and you get a strangely unimmersive experience. By comparison. It's still fun enough to watch, for me.

If you like tournament shows, maybe give Bamboo Blade a try. It's about Kendo.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
It seems that while Saki was about the local tournament, Achiga-hen will be about the national tournament, skipping over the local one quickly. That's a logical continuation. Though it's a bit of a loss that they didn't make more out of the rivalry with the neighbour school that was built up during the first episodes. I guess they will instead play mostly agains Saki, Nodoka, and Teru, and the girl with the blue eye of course.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I've just seen Un-Go, Episode 0. It's the length of two episodes and deals with how Shinjurou meets Inga, and how the two of them meet Bettenou for the first time. It's fiercer than the series, as if that's what it wanted to be but couldn't on public television (I'm assuming it's an OVA or a theatre release or something). I didn't know it existed. If you liked the series, you'll want to see this.

Snowball2695

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody here watch Soul Eater? I know it's based off of a manga (something I usually try to avoid), but it's well worth it if you can get through the second episode (which is really annoying).
Also, has anybody seen Samurai Champloo? My friend keeps telling me to watch it but I'd rather like to know what I'm getting into before I jump head first.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Also, has anybody seen Samurai Champloo? My friend keeps telling me to watch it but I'd rather like to know what I'm getting into before I jump head first.

It's like Cowboy Bebop, but in the Japan during the Edo period instead of in space in the 2070s, and has ronin instead of bounty hunters and hip hop instead of jazz.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The overarching plot to it is that a girl named Fuu is trying to find a samurai that smells of sunflowers (it'll make sense if you want it). She wins a bet, forcing two very skilled ronin, Mugen and Jin, to be her bodyguards.

It's made by the same people that made Cowboy Bebop and it's story is done is a similar style. Mostly self contained episodes and can be viewed in any order that just add little tidbits to the overall story and add a lot of depth to the characters. If you liked Cowboy Bebop and other shows in that style, you'll probably like Samurai Champloo.

As a side note, one of the coolest things about the series is the fighting. Unlike a lot of sword fights in anime, the ones in Samurai Champloo don't use freeze frames with a moving background and they never do the, going too fast to see it, thing. They fully animate all the movements and it looks amazing.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Bleach was 16-year-old me's favorite anime. The imagery was badass, the battle scenes were badass, the music was badass, and the villains were even badderassed. Orihime's titties were goodboob. (I should review stuff for the New Yorker.)

we are the words 'i love you'

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that when I heard this line in Evangelion, I was like, Oh so that's where that comes from.