Status
Not open for further replies.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Finished Awakened by P.C. Cast and really the only words I have to use to describe this book are Dissapointment and Boring. However, I will find myself picking up the next book coming out in November anyways.

Now I'm in a book lull, have to go to my Chapters today and pick up some new ones :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Awakened by P.C. Cast and really the only words I have to use to describe this book are Dissapointment and Boring. However, I will find myself picking up the next book coming out in November anyways.
Just curious. Why?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Starting Fall for Anything, by Courtney Summers, tonight. Looking forward to it!

I only discovered Summers a few months ago, and have devoured her books. I wish there were more!

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
The Immortal by Christopher Pike. I'm going old school and I can't help but wonder if people thought this was how teens talked back then. The voice is so drastically different than it is now and it's only from the 90s. Or the thought process of an adult writer writing for teens as changed.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just curious. Why?

Well the series started with one POV, then got more, and more and well this last book has like 8 different POV's (too many in my humble opinion) I found that some of the action was left do be desired, and not in a good way when we were constantly shifting from one person to another, from one small amount of "action" to rather trivial things.

What was happening to most of the characters for the most part was boring, I wanted to stay in Zoey's head and maybe at the most Stevie Rae's because they had the most to say. The other characters either just seemed to whine or in the case of Stark be more concerned about sex. The main conflict was a little drowned out.

Then at the very end, I was actually hoping that the series was going to be done with, PC decided to add some really rather crazy things that in my mind means that the series won't be coming to a close anytime soon.

Oh and to why I will still will buy the next book. It's a quirk of mine, I cannot just toss a series or any book a side, I have to always, always see how it ends, not matter how much I grow to dislike it.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
The Immortal by Christopher Pike. I'm going old school and I can't help but wonder if people thought this was how teens talked back then. The voice is so drastically different than it is now and it's only from the 90s. Or the thought process of an adult writer writing for teens as changed.

Christopher Pike was full-on crack for me when I was about 14 (the kind I'd hide under Big Girl books and hope the librarian didn't notice what she was stamping). I don't remember finding the voice jarring/unbelievable-- but I was probably skimming for the racy parts. ;)

I just finished Linger-- an illogical choice b/c I didn't enjoy Shiver (the 'science' ruined it for me)-- and I found it underwhelming. I was so sure something more would happen...

I'm now into my first Marchetta book-- Saving Francesca-- and I heart it so far!

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Well the series started with one POV, then got more, and more and well this last book has like 8 different POV's (too many in my humble opinion) I found that some of the action was left do be desired, and not in a good way when we were constantly shifting from one person to another, from one small amount of "action" to rather trivial things.

What was happening to most of the characters for the most part was boring, I wanted to stay in Zoey's head and maybe at the most Stevie Rae's because they had the most to say. The other characters either just seemed to whine or in the case of Stark be more concerned about sex. The main conflict was a little drowned out.

Then at the very end, I was actually hoping that the series was going to be done with, PC decided to add some really rather crazy things that in my mind means that the series won't be coming to a close anytime soon.

Oh and to why I will still will buy the next book. It's a quirk of mine, I cannot just toss a series or any book a side, I have to always, always see how it ends, not matter how much I grow to dislike it.

I agree. I didn't read Burned, even though it's sitting on my desk because the saga has gone on one book too far. I'm really over everyone falling in love with Zoey, but I know in a moment of weakness I'll buy the lastest book and read it.

I've been suckered into the Immortals series. I want to kill the main character - Ever. Noel took her down a path where she ignored the obvious choice, so that she could spin another book out of the series. It should have wrapped up at book three.

PollyAnna - totally agree with Linger. I kinda guessed the ending and was hoping all the way through the book that it wouldn't be a reverse of the first book.

I read Fallen and have been reluctant to read the second book Tormet, because I thought it would just be a repeat of Fallen.

Now I'm stuck trying to find a new book to read that is refreshingly different.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I agree. I didn't read Burned, even though it's sitting on my desk because the saga has gone on one book too far. I'm really over everyone falling in love with Zoey, but I know in a moment of weakness I'll buy the lastest book and read it.

I've been suckered into the Immortals series. I want to kill the main character - Ever. Noel took her down a path where she ignored the obvious choice, so that she could spin another book out of the series. It should have wrapped up at book three.

I read Fallen and have been reluctant to read the second book Tormet, because I thought it would just be a repeat of Fallen.

Now I'm stuck trying to find a new book to read that is refreshingly different.

Hehe we are like book buddies. I currently am really disliking the Immortal series by Noel... she has taken everything in a crappy direction.
I did read Torment, and well... yeah. Not so great.

I am also on the find something fresh, new and different!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Christopher Pike was full-on crack for me when I was about 14 (the kind I'd hide under Big Girl books and hope the librarian didn't notice what she was stamping). I don't remember finding the voice jarring/unbelievable-- but I was probably skimming for the racy parts. ;)
I also adored Christopher Pike books as a teen. And I remember loving The Immortal and have actually been searching for it.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Songs of a Teenage Nomad by Kim Culbertson. I like it a lot so far.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished TWLIGHT ROBBERY by Frances Hardinge and it wasn't quite all that. It's very imaginative, the fantasy world is carefully constructed but it was really overwritten in places, so much so that it deadened the pace in what is a long book - over 500 pages. It is a sequel and it might have helped if I'd previously read the first one as I didn't quite get some of the backstories so ... Yeah. It's worth a read but I didn't love it anywhere near as much I have loved her other books.

I'm about to start WINTERGIRLS by Laurie Halse Anderson because I've seen so many positive reviews here on AW.

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Reading: Sphinx Queen by Esther Friesner and Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start reading Gingerbread by Rachel Cohn. I'm going in not expecting much, so I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe we are like book buddies. I currently am really disliking the Immortal series by Noel... she has taken everything in a crappy direction.
I did read Torment, and well... yeah. Not so great.

I am also on the find something fresh, new and different!

Have you read Hush Hush and Cresendo by Becca Fitzgerald? They are quite well written. Vampire Kisses is another funny series - and really quick reads, although by book 7 they were getting a hmmm..

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start reading Gingerbread by Rachel Cohn. I'm going in not expecting much, so I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

It's a great trilogy! I love Rachel Cohn.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Have you read Hush Hush and Cresendo by Becca Fitzgerald? They are quite well written. Vampire Kisses is another funny series - and really quick reads, although by book 7 they were getting a hmmm..

Okay we seriously need to become friends lol. I have read both Hush, Hush and Cresendo, though, the relationship between Patch and Nora is a little iffy, cause most of the time he's a bit of a jerk lol I loved them.

I burned through all the Vampire Kisses a few months back but I do like them a lot, they are super cute!

I'm also a sucker for the Blue Bloods :)

I just picked up the second novel in The Vampire Academy Frostbite, I read the first one awhile back and really enjoyed it.

I also took a risk and went a little on the outside of my usual realm of books at picked up a Sarah Dessen novel, Lock and Key. I've heard great things about her books and am super happy that they are stand along novels.

Just have to decide which one I should read next. What are you reading these days?

glacier

Give it to me straight!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
write4teens.blogspot.com
I read Prophecy of the Sisters (Prophecy of the Sisters Trilogy, Book I) by Michelle Zink

I started reading it for a couple of reasons. It sounded like a book I would enjoy and it was highly recommended on a couple of sites if you have a prophecy in your writing - that it was a good look into the MC feelings about being caught up in a prophecy. I blazed through the first two books and now I am waiting for the third. It lived up to its promise.

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
It's a great trilogy! I love Rachel Cohn.
I had read the summary for the book and had thought it sounded interesting, but some of the reviews made me a bit skeptical. However, now that I've started reading it I'm actually quite enjoying it.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Finished ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS today. It was so good! I can't wait for her next one! :)

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Finished ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS today. It was so good! I can't wait for her next one! :)

Yeah, Anna and the French Kiss was really addictive. I'm reading One Lonely Degree by C.K Kelly Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.