Looking for some perspective...

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Hello, all! I know it's been awhile since I've posted on here with any regularity. I've had a lot going on - a new job, a new baby boy - and what little free time I've had has been almost entirely devoted to writing (well, editing actually...).

But, as of this morning, the edits are done, and The Scourge of Rome has gone from a bloated 261,000 words to a leaner, tighter 183,700. Hopefully now I'll be able to relax my fevered pace and frequent the forums on a more regular basis. God knows I'll need something to ease the anxiety of the querying process!

To mark my return, I'd like to seek some outside perspective on where to go from here. Should I start working on TSOR's follow-up (I'm planning a series of four novels spanning all sixteen years of the Second Punic War), or should I move on to something entirely different?

Each, I think, has its pros and cons.

If I move on to the second book in the series, I have the benefit of having the story already sketched out, a good portion of the research done, and the culture and mores and characters and whatnot already worked out thanks to the time spent on the first novel. So, basically, there would be very little ramp up time required. But...starting the second book would also put all of my eggs in one basket, and make the success of both entirely dependent on the first.

If I move on to something different, well, it's something different, something else I can shop around once completed. But moving on to another period (I'm currently toying with either 4th/5th century Rome or 11th century Spain) would require a fresh start from a research and planning basis.

Thoughts? Previous experience? Anything that might be helpful?

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Well done! That's such an achievement. And congratulations on your little boy - he looks very lovely in your avatar.

I have no experience nor any other qualification to give advice but... what do you want to write right now? Are you still excited about Rome and your era and is your mind full of ideas for the next book? Or are you feeling a little weary of it and ready for a new challenge?

Why not try writing something shorter first? A short story or two to submit to magazines. Something for fun. You've worked really hard and diligently on your novel for a long time. I wonder if you deserve a little break.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Doogs, Good to see you back and congratulations (on more than one count).

Shooting from the hip - I'd move to something else - and not even necessarily historical. For example, there's a mystery challenge starting in the western forum on May 1 - if I remember correctly, you're in Texas so you ought to be able to put something together without much research (and the guidelines are those of an upcoming contest with a decent prize). Try some other short stories - and let The Scourge of Rome cook for a while - send out some queries, test the waters. If you see some interest, starting on the next volume might be in order; if you hit a blank wall, then moving to one of your other periods might be better. In my opinion, you've put a lot of time and energy into your project and are due to have a chance to relax for a bit. Puma

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Thanks, girlyswot! He's a handful, but I've somehow still managed to find time to write. I guess that old adage about having time for one hobby has something to it!

The thing is - I'm not sure what I want to write next. A part of me wants to dive into the second book in the series, but a part of me thinks I need to try something different. In part because of the practical consideration of having two books to query, and in part because of the challenge of having to immerse myself in a whole new (well, old) world.

Alas, I'm not terribly interested in going the short story route. My tastes - at least with regards to writing - tend toward epics. And as I learned with the reversal challenge, if I'm going to invest the time and energy to really understand a period, I want to be able to take that understanding further than a few thousand words.

Right now I'm leaning towards writing my Alaric novel. The reversal I did on him got a pretty great response, and I find his story fascinating and epic and tragic all at the same time. But the research!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
You know...

the good thing about babies, (and hasn't your little charmer got a wise face?) is that they feed a lot, and as they feed, if you have a good armchair you can prop up a book, relax and read. You can even read aloud to your little chap. It's a good time during those first four months for doing a lot of research reading. You can discuss points of interest and note with your boy and he'll think you're the greatest, and at the same time you're paving the way for that new novel.

I would suggest you see the reactions to your first novel before going into the second novel. You've still got a very big book and you might be asked to make it two. That will be a bit of a beggar if you've already got half way through what you'd considered the second novel of the series!

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful little boy, and also on completing and fine tuning your manuscript!

By my experience I would suggest if not a sequel than you should work on something within the same time period-ish, and here is why-

After 8 months of intense querying, I was lucky to have three offers from 3 agents, and one of the first questions each one of them asked was "What else are you working on?" While I queried I also began the research on my next story idea (not a sequel but still in 18th century colonial America) so luckily I had a good answer ready for that question.

8 months after signing with my agent, I got several offers from several publishers, and the first question the editors asked was "What else does she have?" I whipped together a nine page outline, and my fabulous agent sold my second book based on the outline - which I learned, is not so uncommon.

Publishers spend a lot of $ building an audience with an author's debut effort, they like to have a second book that capitalizes on your established audience. The second book also renews interest in the first book.

First you should focus on querying. I mean query like crazy. The query process is a lot of work in itself, you need to set up a system. You won't get anything published without a good agent, and I think finding an agent is the hardest part. But at the same time, you need to be ready with something else up your sleeve. It is a juggling act (especially with a new baby).

I personally think your best bet is a sequel. You are comfortable with the time period which gives you a good jump. When you land an agent/editor it will be because he/she loves your story, and what is better or more satisfying at the end of a great read then finding out there is a sequel?

Good Luck!

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Doogs,

I already congratulated you on your adorable baby by email, so I'll just give you a link that might be helpful for you in figuring out what to write next. It's a post on an agent blog that I read regularly - BookEnds, LLC, and it's title is, funny enough, "What to Write Next". Hope you find it helpful.

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2008/04/what-to-write-next.html

Good luck with your queries!

c.e.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
What would you know? Another aspect about writing to which there appears no correct answer!

Right now I'm leaning toward the Alaric novel. It's still set in the world of Rome, and I can think of a few writers off the top of my head who've played in the ancient world all the way from the 5th century B.C. to the 5th century A.D. It would give me a second story to shop around and, with all the foundations for the second Hannibalic War novel already laid out, I could always swing back and pick that right up, if need be.

But I'll continue to stew it over while I work on the query letter...

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Hey it's a Doogs Jr :}

If you love your 1st lit child, a sequel or 2nd in the series ain't a bad way to go via a dif MC.

Pretty much wherever your interests lie--go for it.

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm leaning toward the Alaric novel. It's still set in the world of Rome

I think from an agent's standpoint, a separate story is probably better than a sequel, for the reasons listed in the blog posting above. From an editor's standpoint - well, from what I can tell, they like sequels.

For your purposes, at this point, what an agent might want is more important.

From a historical fiction standpoint, I think a follow-up WIP with an exciting or intriguing premise combined with staying around the same time period-ish or world as your first offering is a safe way to go.

That's what I bumbled into - not because I thought it through - I just had a story gnawing at the back of my brain. So don't forget to pay attention to your muse as well.

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A part of me wants to dive into the second book in the series, but a part of me thinks I need to try something different. In part because of the practical consideration of having two books to query, and in part because of the challenge of having to immerse myself in a whole new (well, old) world.

Speaking personally, any time my creative side is vying against my "practical" side, I usually get better results if I ignore the practical side. :)

(Practical wins out for things like balancing my checkbook, and the nitty gritty of things that NEED to be practical - but in terms of things I want to do, my creative side has the inside track.)

Last edited:

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Alaric is cool. I say go for it!
And with respect to your query letter: I say don't mention your word count. If they ask, of course you tell, but no need to give them a reason to reject you off the bat.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Yes, tough question, and one for which there probably isn't a good answer. I just have to go on a long walk (babies are always game for this plan ) and see, of the stories clamouring in my head, which is clamouring loudest. I was actually researching a completely different story when I came across a quote that sparked an idea and, right then and there, sat down and started writing my current WIP that night.

the good thing about babies, (and hasn't your little charmer got a wise face?) is that they feed a lot, and as they feed, if you have a good armchair you can prop up a book, relax and read. You can even read aloud to your little chap. It's a good time during those first four months for doing a lot of research reading. You can discuss points of interest and note with your boy and he'll think you're the greatest, and at the same time you're paving the way for that new novel.

Yes, yes! I got more reading done when my two were newborns than I think I have before or since.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I believe my muse is pointing and laughing at my pathetic excuse for a query letter!

Or he/she might be off playing hockey with mine.

:Shrug:

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com
I was faced with this not that long ago. Not only did I finish a book I love, I had a sequels in mind for it, but my agent said don't write a sequel until the first book is sold. Then if we wanted to, we could sell the second one on proposal. He advised me to work on a paranormal I'd started in the meantime. This made a lot of sense to me. I did a quick outline of the sequel while it was fresh and bubbling in my head and moved on to something completely different. I'm comfortable that I can pull it out and do a synopsis and first three very quickly if and when I need it. His point was that putting a lot of work into a big project that can't sell unless the first one sells, just didn't make sense, particularly because if the first one DOES sell, then he can sell the second one with just a propsal. I don't know if I've explained that well, but it made sense to me.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Thanks, Manat - that actually makes perfect sense.

Okay. So I've made my decision. The second Hannibalic War novel will go on the back burner, and I'll concentrate on Alaric and the Visigoths (great band name, BTW).

But...I've decided to give the book one more pass before I do the query thing (and am seeking betas, if anyone's interested but maybe doesn't venture to that part of the boards). I know I've already lopped off a lot, but I think there's room for more cutting yet. And the lower I can get, the better my chances.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Alaric!
::does happy dance::

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
Although you do get a little leeway on the whole wordcount thing with a historical, 180,000 is kind of high - you are very wise to shave off as much as you can to improve your chances of getting agent reads.

A good beta will help to show you where you can trim - I wish I could volunteer, I love ancient Rome, but I am right now dragging my nose back to the grindstone -I have to to have this next manuscript ready by end of July! Eeek!

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, I'm in the middle of two projects I must finish before I can offer to beta for anyone. Not likely to be available before July or I'd jump on the chance.

murmel

Registered
Reaction score
oh I just realize there's your babe in your avatar. Oh boy oh boy... so cute and cuddly. ALmost makes you forget what they turn into when they reach their teenage years.

I would do beta reading but as I'm also only a novice I may not be able to provide you with what you need.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Congrats on being a new daddy. Late nights and poopie diapers. You lucky guy.:D
I see you've resolved your dilemma. I was asked if I was doing a sequel to my medieval historical but found I wasn't all that interested. I love to learn new things so researched an entirely different period for my current WIP.
Enjoy your little one. They grow up way too fast!
Linnea

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Oops! Sorry about that...

Doogs, for some reason I have been cheerfully thinking of you as Ms not Mr!!!
No excuse except I don't have time on this board to more than glance at the few four or five boards which interest me and then it's work or writing. Don't read profiles etc.

Explains why I was occasionally puzzled by your word choices!