Can books really be "Bad" for you??

Status
Not open for further replies.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any book with sufficient entertainment value is horrible for you. A really good book will have you sitting on your ass for hours, not moving, not exercising, widening your ass and excising reality from your awareness. Then you're up all night, missing out on crucial sleep, and you have to go to work and drag yourself around like a zombie, and you can barely keep your eyes open so you ingest 600 milligrams of caffeine, and you eat 25 bazillion grams of sugar, and then you go home and do the same damn thing because oh, the book was in a SERIES, and you will not sleep or move ever again until it's over, and if it's a great series/book it will leave you a fucking emotional half-demented wreck in a heavy fog of dissociative melancholia for a day or two while you have withdrawal from it.

Books are probably responsible for the physiological degradation of society. I'm just sayin'.

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Any book with sufficient entertainment value is horrible for you. A really good book will have you sitting on your ass for hours, not moving, not exercising, widening your ass and excising reality from your awareness. Then you're up all night, missing out on crucial sleep, and you have to go to work and drag yourself around like a zombie, and you can barely keep your eyes open so you ingest 600 milligrams of caffeine, and you eat 25 bazillion grams of sugar, and then you go home and do the same damn thing because oh, the book was in a SERIES, and you will not sleep or move ever again until it's over, and if it's a great series/book it will leave you a fucking emotional half-demented wreck in a heavy fog of dissociative melancholia for a day or two while you have withdrawal from it.

Books are probably responsible for the physiological degradation of society. I'm just sayin'.

:roll:

What if I have a treadmill desk??

(Spoiler alert: I don't.)

MostlyBecca

Squeee
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'm more concerned about the effect Jersey Shore is having on the world's youth than Twilight.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
That bolded statement is a prime example of luck being a huge factor in a writer's success.

I'd love to think that a good book will always find a home. But how are we defining "success" here? Getting an agent? A publishing contract? Legions of fans and a movie franchise? All of those things take a combination of persistance, timing, and luck. If you don't believe that luck is a key factor in success, then okay, but it's still a factor.

This.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Luck, I strongly believe, is a very small factor, and one no one can control.

The other factors one can't control:
innate intelligence
natural talent

The factors one can control:
willingness to learn
devotion, dedication, and work ethic
developing a rich imagination, vocabulary, and ear for language
willingness to learn

Luck is a tiny factor. Work on the mostly importantist things, like, oh, learning and developing a good work ethic (did I mention how important a good work ethic and willingness to learn are? Because they're extreeeeeeeemely important in mastering anything.) and worry about luck when you're as masterful as you can possibly be.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'm more concerned about the effect Jersey Shore is having on the world's youth than Twilight.

Agreed. I wanted one episode and for the first time in my life contemplated harming myself. That show should be called WTF

silent_count

Eats souls... 'cause they're yummy.
Registered
Reaction score
That's really simplistic, though. Nobody who argues that media has an effect on people thinks that the effect is "Monkey see, monkey do." Arguments about the desensitizing effects of violent video games and movies, for example, do not claim that anyone is programmed to become a violent psychopath and that some percentage of kids will snap and go Columbine if they play too many violent video games. Likewise, saying that books with unhealthy relationships can have an unhealthy effect on kids who read them and find them romantic does not mean we think every girl who sighs over Twilight wants a boyfriend who will hover over her bed while she sleeps.
If there isn't a causal link between seeing this in the media and this happening in real life, then I can't see the point of complaining about a 'desensitizing effect'.

And saying that "books with unhealthy relationships can have an unhealthy effect on kids who read them and find them romantic" does assume that the 'unhealthy effect' results from the 'kids' reading it and being unable to determine that the relationship is unhealthy... that the 'kids' are the exact kind of unthinking sponges I described in my previous post.

Is there any danger that (for example) you, who read the book and recognised the unhealthy nature of the relationship, are going to be more predisposed to accepting an unhealthy relationship?

The intersection of media and pop culture and the zeitgeist is more complicated than that. It's ridiculous to claim that reading a book will have a specific, discrete, predictable effect on any given individual. It's also ridiculous to claim media has no effect on the people consuming it, or that teenagers aren't more impressionable than adults.
The argument that media (Twilight) does have an effect on consumers (girls), namely that they're lead to think (I'm paraphrasing) 'the relationship portrayed in Twilight is normal/acceptable' - this is as testable a proposition of media effect as we'll ever get (if only indirectly).

If it's reasonable to say that Twilight effects teenage girls' perception of what is acceptable relationship behaviour (which is extremely difficult to test), then it should be equally reasonable to say it has an effect on their perception of pre-marital sex (which isn't).

If we were to procure the American records of out-of-wedlock pregnancies/abortions for the year(s) prior to Twilight's release, and for the year(s) after, do you think we'd be able to pick out a demonstrable "Twilight effect" (ie. reduction in the rates thereof) ?

But Romeo and Juliet is not presented as a happy relationship, and Macbeth sure as hell wasn't. Shakespeare didn't expect his audience to think "Aww, how romantic!" The authors of these YA books clearly do.
Fair point on Macbeth, but you lost me on the bit where you think Shakespeare didn't want the audience swoon over the star-crossed lovers. Unhappy, fated, doomed.. yeah, sure. But definitely romantic, and I do think an angsty teenager going through their first break-up could identify with the 'I can't be with my one true love so it's not worth living' thing.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I think once something becomes real popular it becomes popular for some to hate it because so many others like it. I've read Twilight and loved it at first but that faded fast and I couldn't get through the series a second time round. The plot is weak and Bella was slightly irrtating, but not too much so, I've read books with much more irritating characters. I actually really loved the Host. That book is like a cross between Animorphs and Twilight. It's so much better than Twilight and really showed off her talent more I think. I am excited for the movie.

Can books be bad for you? Yeah, anything can. When I was a kid I loved power rangers and used to get the broom and swing it around the lounge room and pretend I was the pink ranger. I still don't know how I broke anything!

The worst "damage" these books can do is some fans dressing up in truly terrible cosplay costumes and then posting it on facebook and regretting it later on. Most people with a brain know these books are fiction and while the idea of a dark, sexy, lover like Edward might be intriguing no one really wants to wake up in the night to find someone watching them in the corner of their room. Even if he does sparkle.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a reminder here for RYFW. Let's not turn into YATBT (Yet Another Twilight Bashing Thread).

ETA: Not directing this at any one person. Just don't want this to devolve into bashing Meyer personally.

Lehcarjt

Been here, Done this.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.racheltaylorwrites.com
"books with unhealthy relationships can have an unhealthy effect on kids who read them and find them romantic"

The thing for me about this aspect of Twlight is that I don't see Twilight as creating some new form of unhealthy relationship. Rather I see it as demonstrating (by readership) just how many girls/women ALREADY crave just this type of relationship.

Although then again, I found the heart of the story to be about Bella having power (blood symbolizing sex) over Edward (thus creating his stalker behaviors). And I think it's this craving of female sexual power over a male that is so desirable to the reading audience. If we take Bella's power out of the equation, then I bet the majority of the readers wouldn't have enjoyed it so much. (Edward would just be a stalker.)

Also, none of this is new to books. Stalking vampires (etc.) and all these exact themes have been going on in the romance genre for years and years and year. And (correct me if I'm wrong) a good lot of romance genre readers got started as teenagers.

Robbie

You'll have to do better than that
Registered
Reaction score
If a book is written well enough so you can gain new insights into the world, yourself, then I think it's a book worth reading. The was I look at it, life's too short for bubblegum books. If the masses want them kind of books, let them rot their heads! If they want water from a deeper well, they will find it. The real tragedy is when pop culture has consumed them so much that they never heard of, for instance, Raymond Carver or Dostoevski, through not completely their own fault but alot to do with the crass consumeris/marketing of the times we live in (being told what to like by corporations). Just look how much crap is springing up on the new kindle platform with the lure of easy money for young writers who are more than willing to whore their time and minds writing for YA markets or whatever other fad is around. Nothing it seems is sacred anymore people! :D

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
This is getting really interesting, as now we're back to the "ideas can be bad" thing, which I have to come down very strongly on the side that says "ideas are not bad."

Would I encourage my 10-year-old (I mean, when my kids are ten; I don't *have* a ten-yr-old, and it feels very important to clarify that for some reason) to read The End of Alice? Newp. Do I think The End of Alice is dangerous because it might validate some lunatic's worldview? Newp. Do I think *more* people should read The End of Alice? Yes.

Last edited:

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't read any of the comments yet but...

I always WANT to say that no, books can't be 'bad' for you because we're all smart enough to know the difference between reality and fantasy* but then I see hundreds of badly done Twilight tattoos on the internet and I just feel so bewildered.

*Amending this because RKLipman pointed out that 'Smart people are affected by the media they consume every day.' Everyone is. So using intelligence as the thing that weeds out the people who get affected from the people who don't is faulty.

Another reason I think a book can be 'bad' is when the book spreads inaccuracies and misinformation because it's poorly researched. Staying on the topic of Twilight for example, there was a part where Edward tells Bella that humans can't smell blood which caused a bunch of girls to rush to Yahoo Answers asking questions like "OMG i can smel blod. doez dis meen Im vampIir??'

Last edited:

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
I always WANT to say that no, books can't be 'bad' for you because we're all smart enough to know the difference between reality and fantasy

See, this is what bothers me. The conflations in question have very little to do with intelligence, and it really grates my cheese when it's constantly suggested otherwise.

The fact that I think people can be harmed by negative messages (myself included) does not, in any way, require the people in question to be stupid.

To whit, the media is (and has been for decades) constantly bombarding women with messages about body image, appearance, and what is considered 'desireable' and 'sexually appealing'. These images and messages are distorted - almost comically so - impractical, and in many cases impossible to attain.

Do you think all women who suffer from self-consciousness, body dysphoria, or eating disorders as a result are stupid?

If not, why would you apply that standard to readers?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
If there isn't a causal link between seeing this in the media and this happening in real life, then I can't see the point of complaining about a 'desensitizing effect'.

We recognize all sorts of causal effects that are not a simple one-to-one relationship between event A and event B. For example, we know that racism and sexism has a pernicious effect on everyone who experiences it. We know that childhood experiences affect the psyche in all kinds of ways. We know that PTSD exists and it's not always something you can trace to a single incident. People who want proof that "This kid watched this movie and that made him commit this crime," and insist that absent any such proof, there can be no link between the environment one grows up in and the attitudes one develops, are being facile.

And saying that "books with unhealthy relationships can have an unhealthy effect on kids who read them and find them romantic" does assume that the 'unhealthy effect' results from the 'kids' reading it and being unable to determine that the relationship is unhealthy... that the 'kids' are the exact kind of unthinking sponges I described in my previous post.

No.

You can be exposed to unhealthy things, realize they are unhealthy, and still be affected by them.

Is there any danger that (for example) you, who read the book and recognised the unhealthy nature of the relationship, are going to be more predisposed to accepting an unhealthy relationship?

I would say yes, there is that danger.

By "any danger," I assume you mean that there is some non-zero probability that someone reading lots of books about unhealthy relationships, for example, might internalize them as normal and less objectionable than they would otherwise find them, and thus possibly be more likely to accept an unhealthy relationship.

As opposed to "Reading Twilight means you will fall in love with stalker."

Because first argument is a nuanced one with many variables we can't define, while the second argument would be really stupid and only someone who is being disingenuous would claim I am making it.

If we were to procure the American records of out-of-wedlock pregnancies/abortions for the year(s) prior to Twilight's release, and for the year(s) after, do you think we'd be able to pick out a demonstrable "Twilight effect" (ie. reduction in the rates thereof) ?

Only if we could somehow control for every other factor that could affect those numbers, which would be fairly impossible.

This is getting really interesting, as now we're back to the "ideas can be bad" thing, which I have to come down very strongly on the side that says "ideas are not bad."

Really? Really really? Like, for real?

Want me to offer a few bad ideas?

How about, "White people are smarter and morally superior to everyone else"?

How about "People who disagree with us are going to burn in hell and we should put them in prison"?

How about "Women shouldn't be allowed to vote"?

Let's not be silly. Of course ideas can be bad.

That doesn't mean they should be censored. But ideas can certainly be bad, and harmful.

Would I encourage my 10-year-old to read The End of Alice?

Wait, why not? If there is nothing bad in any idea or media, why would you need to be concerned about anyone's readiness to be exposed to them?

Robbie

You'll have to do better than that
Registered
Reaction score
To whit, the media is (and has been for decades) constantly bombarding women with messages about body image, appearance, and what is considered 'desireable' and 'sexually appealing'. These images and messages are distorted - almost comically so - impractical, and in many cases impossible to attain.

Do you think all women who suffer from self-consciousness, body dysphoria, or eating disorders as a result are stupid?

I would say a lot of women do, and precisely from about a century of media bombardment on how they should look, etc

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Really.

Ideas are ideas are ideas.

Actions? Yeah, there are bad actions. But ideas? No. I'm very firm on this.

There aren't bad ideas, there are concepts that aren't appropriate for developing children. I don't think weed is bad, but I also don't think it's good for kids. Sex isn't bad, but it's not cool for little kids to do it. Sleeping isn't bad, but there's a time and place for it.

Pooping isn't bad, but... I think you get the gist.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If a book is written well enough so you can gain new insights into the world, yourself, then I think it's a book worth reading. The was I look at it, life's too short for bubblegum books. If the masses want them kind of books, let them rot their heads! If they want water from a deeper well, they will find it. The real tragedy is when pop culture has consumed them so much that they never heard of, for instance, Raymond Carver or Dostoevski, through not completely their own fault but alot to do with the crass consumeris/marketing of the times we live in (being told what to like by corporations). Just look how much crap is springing up on the new kindle platform with the lure of easy money for young writers who are more than willing to whore their time and minds writing for YA markets or whatever other fad is around. Nothing it seems is sacred anymore people! :D

What part of respect your fellow writer did not compute? Guess what? That includes YA writers.

Knock it off.

PPartisan

<><'ing for compliments
Registered
Reaction score
Website
werdpressed.wordpress.com
Hmm, I remember reading that book as teenager and enjoying it. What can I say, it was pretty cathartic :D.

My opinion is to keep it in print, though this might mean my copy's now worth something on e-bay...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quick mod strikes again. :D Seriously, the two of you got crossways. Let's move on from that. Back to the original topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.