The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Shouldn't this stuff be on the overflow thread?

Yeah. It should. I'll port stuff over later, when I've got a bit more time.

Meanwhile, Eric, knock off the abusive garbage. If you don't want people to respond to your post--whoever you're addressing--then PM the individual, don't post on a public board.

And if you can't moderate your tone, I can moderate it for you.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
tiny terror said:
Come on Dawno, everyone knows that the paperback versions always have more information. That's why everyone waits for them to come out.

oh crud. :Smack:Now I have to go replace all my hardback editions? dang.:Headbang:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Ahem, I've located the page in question. And it's page 238 in the paper back edition. Don't worry Mac, I promise I'll tie it in w/ PA as you've a bit of porting to do. And Viper, she will moderate your (feels strange to use this word in this context...) tone.

Back to business: "But as a young man I did not yet realize that there are people in the publishing world, such as Publish America, who would steal the pennies off a dead man's eyes. For me, that didn't really matter, because before my first couple of novels actually succeeded in finding an audience, I had little to steal."

Stephen King then goes on to say, "You should have an agent, and if your work is saleable..."

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
vipersmile said:
You know what, first off I was responding to James Mcdonald, this will be my last post. I don't know what the big deal is, so I'll take my conversations and convey them elsewhere.

You may want to stop telling us it's your last post.

vipersmile said:
It's on page 252 in the PAPERBACk version, you've accomplished nothing if you're making an independent attempt to slash at me. I'll have a scissor fight any day, and on an analytical sense at that.

You've read it out of context. King is making reference to vanity publishing being better than paying an unscrupulous agent. That's a far cry from what you originally posted.

vipersmile said:
I like how when I post a reply to someone else, someone who is in my opinion worth the respect of angels and madmen alike, everyone jumps in for my throat.

Private message him next time.

vipersmile said:
I've wasted my time and yours, I'll go sign books and do it the way it's working for me.

I'll look forward to hearing from you in a year.

vipersmile said:
Thanks again, good luck in your writing, and beligerence.

You too.

Cj

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Dawno said:
Evaluate submissions? Does PA really do that, Dave? I agree with Uncle Jim, it looks more like they take everything up to the daily limit. I can't see them having such a wide spread of good and great and abysmal all accepted otherwise.

Well, yes, they do evaluate manuscripts. They have to in order to make sure that no one submits a book with villains named Larry, Willem, and Miranda or heroes named Jenna, James, Ann, and Victoria, to name a few. Oh, they also look for uses of their publishing name and those of AW, WB, P&E, and a few others. Can't have the people getting anything past the censors, er, evaluators, that is.

They also look to see if real words are used. They don't want anyone submitting a book in special code that they can't understand but that would be obvious to readers who turned the book upside down. ;)

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
vipersmile said:
James. Thanks for the insight sir. As you requested, page 252 of the paper back version Mr King's On Writing is discussing the importance of Agents, and how they are also NOT important. And how a writer doesn't need one. Second paragraph 4th line, Most agents are unscrupulous ****s. I'd suggest that if you're that anxious to get published, you skip agent hunting and querie letters to publishers and go directly to a vanity press. There at least you will get a semblance of your moneys worth.

On pp. 247-248 of the hardback edition, Mr. King says, "You should be especially wary of agents who promise to read your work for a fee. A few such agents are reputable (the Scott Meredith Agency used to read for fees; I don't know if they stll do or not), but all too many are unscrupulous [****]s. I'd suggest that if you're that anxious to get published, you skip agent-hunting or query-letters (sic) to publishers and go directly to a vanity press. There you will at least get a semblance of your money's worth."

He's talking about fee charging agents. Not all agents. (And IMHO, I doubt that he meant PA when he suggested the vanity press.)

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Don't everyone jump on the poor guy at once. He got the spirit of the passage incorrect, and he left out a few key words, but at least he didn't make it up.

My version of On Writing, on page 252 says (typed by me):

You should be especially wary of agents who promise to read your work for a fee. A few such agents are reputable. (bla bla bla Scott Meredith agency bla bla bla), but all too many are unscrupulous f*cks. I'd suggest if you're that anxious to get published, you skip agent hunting or query letters to publishers and go directly to a vanity press. There you will at least get a semblance of your money's worth.

When you read the full quote with the correct context, it certainly sounds like sound advice to me.

mdin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
that's what I get for opening a reply box, getting the book, and coming back to type it out a few minutes later. Ugh.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Rose colored glasses said:
We read every single submission before we
accept or refuse.
That would include their acceptance of Atlanta Nights!

From Atlanta Nights (Chapter 3 opening):

“As you've probably heard Yvonne,” began Penelope Urbain. Seriously brushing a gleaming scarlet tress out of her tearful eye “Bruce has come home from the hospital after his accident.”

“Yes you must be very happy,” said Yvonne sympathetically. “He was badly hurt in that auto accident.”

“Yes he was badly hurt,” responded Penelope honestly. “But he is home now and I am very happy about that.”

“We need to have a very serious discussion about this,” said Yvonne earnestly.

“Yes. We have some very serious things to discuss,” agreed Penelope.

Yvonne Perrin raised her glass and began to gulp down the martini she had ordered and then she signaled the waiter to bring another one. Yvonne drank too much and did not eat right at all and Penelope was starting to get worried about her friend's habits in eating and drinking. Her cheeks were almost as red as her hair already, like red Delicious apples under green leaves which were her eyes and the dark pupils were like little curled up caterpillars in the middle.

“Do you think it is a good idea to have another 1 Yvonne?” interrogated Penelope.

“Yes one more will not hurt me and then I will quit,” retorted Yvonne.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Apparently Atlanta Nights passes the criteria Dave mentions. No mention of Larry, Willem or Miranda as villians, no mention of AW, etc., and when I turned the book upside down it was just as well written as it was right side up.

mdin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
PVish said:
(And IMHO, I doubt that he meant PA when he suggested the vanity press.)

He was being sarcastic. He wasn't suggesting vanity publishers at all. He was basically saying "If you're going to throw your money away, you're better off giving it to a vanity publisher and not an agent. At least with a vanity publisher you'll have a physical copy of a printed book."

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Dawno said:
Apparently Atlanta Nights passes the criteria Dave mentions. No mention of Larry, Willem or Miranda as villians, no mention of AW, etc., and when I turned the book upside down it was just as well written as it was right side up.

Does it come with a compass? Some are into the feng sui (spelled wrong, I know) and may want to read from the North, South and so on...is it = from all directions? I'm sorry, unlike On Writing, I don't own a copy of Atlanta Nights. If I did, I could check myself.

I would bet my last dollar that AL was properly and thorougly evaluated by the highly skilled kindergarten staff at PA. If sock puppit was around, it could be verified that they use the leap frog spelling check-it's for ages 3 and up.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
XThe NavigatorX said:
He was being sarcastic. He wasn't suggesting vanity publishers at all. He was basically saying "If you're going to throw your money away, you're better off giving it to a vanity publisher and not an agent. At least with a vanity publisher you'll have a physical copy of a printed book."
]

I found the page in question, and what he's REALLY saying is that FEE CHARGING agents are unscrupulous, and don't give them your hard-earned $$. If you feel compelled to throw money away in your attempts to get published, throw it at a vanity publisher instead of an agent who charges up front fees. But he still also says that a good agent is required.

Shutting up now...I know this should be in the overflow thread. *sigh* going to bed.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Well, I haven't seen this idea before on the PAMB:

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=7342
What if we author's got together and had a calendar made with our book covers and pictures and a small blog? Perhaps we can feature 2 authors per month.

Uh, exactly how does one put a blog onto a printed calendar?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Sha... I can't believe anyone would read that SK passage and think it says vanity publishing is a good way to go if you want a writing career.

But, I guess people see what they want to...

Yes, I've heard of PA authors saying things like "I waited over three months to hear from that publisher, but PA only took a week" or "My book wouldn't be out for two years with that 'other' publisher, but with PA it's been six months!"

So, yeah, I can see how impatience plays a big role when it comes to snaring more people into their trap. After all, who wants to wait six to eight weeks on a partial when you can get an accpetance from PA in three days on a query? And if you sent your whole ms to them, think about it - if you heard back in less than two weeks, do you really think they had time to read it? Especially when they themselves tout that 'over a hundred authors a week submit to PA'? When they have less than 100 employees, how many of them 'acquisitions' editors'?

Come on people - a whole manuscript, in a pile of other slush... you shouldn't expect a reply in under six months.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Christine N. said:
Yes, I've heard of PA authors saying things like "I waited over three months to hear from that publisher, but PA only took a week" or "My book wouldn't be out for two years with that 'other' publisher, but with PA it's been six months!"

So, yeah, I can see how impatience plays a big role when it comes to snaring more people into their trap.

In addition to this, PA might respond to the query in a couple of weeks, or even less sometimes, but from the reports we've heard on this board and the PAMB, unless the author chooses the "no edit" option, then it could take up to six months to at least a year just to get the first round of proofs. Others have reported it taking over a year just to see proofs. (All the while hanging out at the PAMB dancing on pins and needles.)

So even if the author is in a hurry, PA still takes way too damn long to produce the book. Hell, with lulu the author could have it in a day.

Submitting through an agent or directly to one of the big houses could take months for a reply to be sure. However, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of smaller publishers throughout the country that do not require an agent, and most will reply in a timely manner. And will have the book published and stocked in bookstores nationwide sooner than PA can even get around to printing the thing.

So, why is PA an advantage?

allen

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
James D. Macdonald said:
It's right here, in my desk drawer.

Mm-hmm. As I suspected.

Okay, new rule:

First books are supposed to be crappy. If you discover, after hard soul-searching, that you've written a crappy first book, you are not allowed to believe this means you are a crappy writer.

I will not blow sunshine up your butts and tell all of you that your PA books are excellent. I have no idea. Some of them are undoubtedly good, some of them are undoubtedly bad. Whichever, it's part of the path and doesn't define you.

Every now and then, there's a genius musician who can pick up a saxophone and just play like a master within a couple of months. Most of us have to play scales and "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" for years before we truly know if we're any good. Someone has to teach us, and we have to play a whole lot of clunkers on the way to playing like pros.

My new rule is that you're not allowed to decide if you're talented or not until your third book.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Nah, Jenna, only the readers are allowed to actually determine whether you're talented.

Of course, that's a real problem for PA authors because they're blocked by PA from reaching enough readers to even find out if they're any good.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, PA is taking longer to get books out with the "edit" option. But a year or two, in the real publishing world, is par for the course. Of course, if you pitted a PA author against a commercial pub author, time wise, from submission to release, we're talking about the difference between 12 months and maybe 18-24 months. Or more.

Do you hear that, lurkers?? Commercial pubs really do take that long, because they care about your book. They want to make sure that everything is perfect.

PA takes that long because they're too cheap to hire three more people to run the spellcheck.

Gabriele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostfort.blogspot.com
Maridius said:
Newbie here as well--sort of. I joined up and lurked for awhile then got sucked into the Great PA Thread. Right now, Anne Marble is laughing up her sleeve at me! She predicted my fast-growing addiction when I told her I was going to check this out and now, days later, I'm still trying to catch up. I got all the way to page 32 . . .*groan*

You do realize that I'm not getting much of my own writing done, right? :D

So, here is where you're hanging out.

I stay away from this thread, it's evil. :D

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thomas, thanks for pointing that out. I haven't got my book back from being printed. I don't know what price they will put on it because I don't know how many pages it will be after they break it down for printing. Now what worries me and for ya'll that is happy to just have your book printed, fine, but I'm like Brenda. Even though I love writing my books, I'm in it for the money, plus I'm an unknown author and if my book is priced to high it will never sale and how will I pay my bills with that or how will PA make any money back off of it? If strangers don't know my work they are not going to dish out a wad of money just to read my book. So where do we voice these concerns if not on the boards? I'm in for the money. The excitiment of getting a book published is a bonus that goes with it. Glenda

This is the fourth post I read on the PAMB today that uses "sale" as a verb. I wonder if they learn this from each other?

Bonnie Gibson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Email from Ingrams customer care/will post next email

Thank you for contacting us Bonnie. We have forward your question concerning Publishamerica to our Book Buy department. They will reply to you once they have the needed information.

We appreciate your business. Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Ingram Book Company
Customer Care
xxx-xxx-xxxx
[email protected]

On October 20, 2005 at 3:51 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Message sent from Bonnie Gibson
Phone Number:
UserID: xxxxxxxxx
Account Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you know anything about the following paragraph? Publishamerica authors have been emailed this. We feel they have once again scammed all their authors with this news. On their website www.publishamerica.com
they say that Ingram is their supplier and they are working with Ingram's to make this happen. Can you verify this?

Following is the email from Publishamerica:
Thank you,
Bonnie Gibson

Dear Author,

Every hour of every business day, bookstores nationwide order and stock a new PublishAmerica title. The store manager has decided to stock it because he believes that the book will sell. As a result, thousands of PublishAmerica books are sitting proudly on bookstore shelves all across the fruited plain.

And they do sell. They sell regardless of whether the bookstore can return unsold copies.

A bookstore's decision to stock a book is generally made by the manager.. A bookstore typically stocks just one percent of the 190,000 new books that are published each year. For bookstores to stock all books published would mean adding 20 feet of new shelf space every day, seven days per week. Therefore bookstore managers must be selective on what books they choose.

Sometimes they base the decision on whether the book is returnable. If the book is not returnable, they sometimes choose not to stock it.

Many of our titles are already returnable. We have been running an experiment with an increasing number of our titles. It appears that once a bookstore has established a book's selling potential, and stocked the book, the store manager's decision is proven right: PublishAmerica books are competitive, high quality, reliably selling books.

Therefore, as of next month, we are making all of our books returnable!

Although many of our titles are currently stocked in stores, you may soon find even more bookstore managers inclined to order and stock your book now that there is zero risk involved for them.

Please bear with us as we must do this gradually, in order to enable our wholesaler Ingram to accurately activate the new status on roughly eleven thousand books that are currently in print, starting with the titles that are selling more than 40 copies in September (libraries and individuals who order more than 40 copies this month are receiving a 40 pct discount; phone orders only at 301 695 1707).
Also, there will be a few exceptions initially, such as full-color picture books, and for the time being this revolutionary experiment will be limited to U.S. bookstores only. We will review the results after a few months and see what, if any, adjustments must be made.

Congratulations on being part of this exciting and revolutionary adventure.

--PublishAmerica Author Support

Status
Not open for further replies.