Status
Not open for further replies.

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
*cries* I'm starting to have doubts about my plot and the entire idea behind my story.

It's times like these where I Want to copy myself and throw ideas around with cloned me. :< Just like Glo said!

What ideas do you need bounced around? XD

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
We're in the exact same boat then.

Well basically what's going on, is that I had originally planned out an entire backstory that was sort of a catalyst for the motives of the villains, but since then I've realized that the backstory was really, really stupid. So I changed it. But I didn't change the events of the story, so I still have mechanisms in place that have no real function.

Like, for example, in the original story there was this magickal object (original, I know) and it was desired by the villains. Now in the new draft, that's still going on... but I don't even know why!

The villains originally had a plan of what they wanted to do with the stone, their ultimate evil goal or whatever, but now they don't and I don't know how to fix it.

Poo. There are other problems as well, but that's the huge, gaping one.

*cries*

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
Oh dear, that does sound like quite the problem. o_O; How much have you changed of the backstory and how much is your current WIP? Maybe you can rewrite some of it depending?

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
I'm fortunate in that my plot up to the point that I've actually written still functions, because I haven't revealed too much of the villain's intent. But when it comes to the point where I need to, I'm not gonna have anything to say.

The original backstory extended all the way back to the creation of the planet and it all started there. The stone had a mechanism from that point and would be used to achieve a specific goal, but I scrapped it because it was sort of stupid.

I've tried to go back and re-create the backstory from that point to provide it with a different mechanism, I just haven't been able to think of anything substantial.

I think if I could reapply a purpose for the stone and have that purpose be able to be used by the villains to achieve their end, I might get somewhere. IDK though. Oy vey.

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
If I had any clue as to how fantasy works, I'd offer more help. But every fantasy book I read has me putting on my "derp derp" face. I don't think my brain is wired up the right way for fantasy. Dx

Sigh, I think I'm gonna put my current WIP on the story and write the WIP I've been wanting to write for years but have been too scared to write it. o.o; It's definitely not YA though.

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
Well in my current one, it's about a transgendered male who cross-dresses. I'm not sure if you are familiar with trans lingo, but trans male refers to a boy in a girl body. And well, he enjoys cross-dressing in woman's clothes every now and then, similar to wearing drag.

The main character is seventeen, and he is pre-transition, meaning he hasn't starting hormones or surgery yet. He wants to, but he also wants to stay true to his personality and interests, and he enjoys cross-dressing. Well, not many people take him seriously because of that, so the entire novel is about him trying to make sense of himself and everyone's expectations of him while staying true to who he is.

Bad explanation, but I think that covers the barebones of it.

I'm just worried that a lot of people won't understand this whole "gender" thing and will read it with a very binary view. LIke "well if he enjoys dressing as a woman why doesn't he just stay a girl" kinda thing. Even though gender identity has nothing to do with clothing. It has to do with how you view yourself. Yeah, clothing is an expression of gender identity, but it doesn't define it.

So yeah. >:U

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know root words? My SNI has to do with them, and I know hundreds- but I don't remember if there is a root that means weird/strange/odd/etc.

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
I see what you're saying.

It's unfortunate too, because obviously you're plot is good, it's just gonna be the people reading it who are misunderstanding. Though, I think given your actual readership, you might be okay.

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
I looked in a root word dictionary, and the closest thing I could find was "xen" meaning different/foreign if that's what you're talking about? o.o;

Hetero also means different, but that one is pretty obvious. XD;

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for though. I can give you the link to the dictionary I found though if you're interested.

And hmm, that's a good point, Glo. I do want my novel to be educational and funny while telling a great story. So I might be okay. I think I should probably write it and not worry about people reading it until it's actual time to attempt to get the silly thing published. :p

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and also, if it comes to it, you could always have the character struggle with somebody telling him that he's strange for not wanting to stay a girl in the book itself.

Just an idea.

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, sure. Happy to help!

Tomorrow is going to be the day where I sort out my plot issues. I can feel it. I KNOW IT.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
WHYYY DO I NEVER WRITE when I say I will -____-

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
yay ely! :hooray: I love steampunk :)

I know almost everyone is asleep but has anyone ever had an official writing buddy (not a beta, exactly)? what does it consist of?

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Hehe I'm starting to like steampunk too even though I haven't actually read any.

I like the Atwood quote in your siggy. Just started reading The Blind Assasin not too long ago. I LOVE her style of writing.

And I never had a writing buddy. No one I *know* writes.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I know almost everyone is asleep but has anyone ever had an official writing buddy (not a beta, exactly)? what does it consist of?

I have two critique partners. I read whatever they send me, and I hold their hands when they're down. And vice versa. My crit partners are the ones who patiently read ten different versions of my opening chapter without once suggesting that I take a hike. :tongue

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah a writing buddy is pretty awesome. I had one before but then he had to stop writing because of life troubles. Its pretty much someone to listen to you when your having trouble with a plot, a person to bounce ideas off of, someone who reads what you write and tells you little ways to sharpen it up and and stuff like that!

Keagerz

He Who Plays With Dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keagerz.livejournal.com
EVERY TWFTIE IS MY WRITING BUDDY. >:3

Haha seriously though. Writing buddies are awesome. I have a writing buddy, but we were friends before either of us found out we write. XD She actually helped me overcome my phobia of writing.

And I'm giddy because I found the perfect song for my one couple. :p

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hehehehe. I actually dont have any writing buddies at the moment, at least i dont think i do. I posted up on the writing buddy/beta thread thing and one guy got back to me but i havent heard from him in a long while. I think people look and see i write a series and get freaked out i want them to read all the books. when in reality i'm only looking for help on the first one!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
It's four o'clock. Finally reached 1.5k in my new wip. I'm scared to write cos it's a steampunk set in the future type dystopian thingy. I like the idea and all but this is new territory for me. *is scared*

I know what you mean. After posting my query letter in QLH, I was told that my book was adult not YA. Kinda a scary thought cause I am not even myself an adult or anywhere near it... But I do read adult books, so I guess i have experience with adult writing. But I definitely know how you feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.