GOTHAM (May Contain SPOILERS)

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
It grew on me. My dad urged, urged me to watch (because we love superheroes), but I hesitated. Because I'm not fond of dark Batman and the noir, supposedly crappy Gotham city.

Even though I played two of the Arkham games, I got so very tired of grim Batman and his never-ending fights against the psycho villains--who were rarely killed and always came back. (Who would want to live in Gotham? It's like going to Silent Hill, jeez.)

The pilot was well-done. I liked Mooney, too.

But I'm afraid of how grim-dark it's going to get over time. This was pre- Batman, after all. And even with Batman, it's still grim. If anything, it may have gotten worse(?), lol, with Joker, older Poison Ivy, Penguin, Mr Freeze, Harvey Dent, and those people that chop people or take off the faces of their victims, etc.

The Emissary

Registered
Reaction score
I also don't think Gordon is really destined to fail. We know that he does succeed in cleaning up the GCPD, and he becomes Commissioner. Just because he doesn't lock up Falcone, Penguin, Nigma, and the others and throw away the key doesn't mean he fails. Take Bullock, he's crooked, but in previous tellings, he's still around when Gordon is Commissioner, he's brutish still and an ass, but he does come around and end up being a good cop and one of Gordon's best allies on the force.

I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of this first season though.

Very interesting point. I kind of agree with this, but I don't think it's exactly cleaning Gotham, just tidying it up a bit. In my opinion, the guy HAS to fail in order for a Batman to be necessary. If Bruce Wayne comes back and sees that there's no need for any extreme measures cause his man Gordon can take care of everything now, he probably wouldn't become Batman. I also think that if there's any, ANY character that's a kid who should and could very well fit into the show perfectly, it's Harvey Dent. The concept practically screams for his backstory.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I've been a Batman fan for more than 30 years. And I have to say, I really, really enjoyed the pilot episode, even with all the pseudo cameos. Looking forward to tonight's episode! (Carol Kane? Yes, please!)

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
So, tonight we had a mention by name of the Dollmaker, and I'm going to guess that sound bubbling up from the sewer was an allusion to Killer Croc. We also continue with Penguin's storyline, and a cameo from Nigma, which was actually much nicer than his introduction. Much less manic and not trying to force riddles on people as much.

I'm liking the Gordon/Bullock chemistry. It was actually funny to me how Bullock pointed out the bad cop/good cop routine to the fat guy during the interrogation.

I'm still not sure where they're really going with Selina's story, but I think they're setting up the Catwoman that doesn't trust anyone, who's seen all the worst the city has to offer and refuses to rely on anyone else, which is one of the things that defines Catwoman and Batman's relationship much, much, much later on.

Really liking the show so far.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I am loving this. I think the Penguin is a great character to experiment with, because no one cares about him. They're making him kind of crazy, and I like that.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I was with this show for the first two episodes, but man, the third one was just... not good. And it didn't help this week. I think the tonal whiplash is just too much for me.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I'm still watching. For now. Robin Lord Taylor is outstanding.

Sort of hoping there will be some joy and/or humor to counter the incessant grimness.

And when does Bruce go to school? Kid's **always** home.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Bruce supposed to be a genius. I would imagine he'd need tutors (or Alfred), though given the Waynes' general stance on everything, you'd think they would have put their son in public school just on principle.

I like the fact that Bruce is in the background while everyone else is more focal, though I think they're running the risk of Cobblepot becoming one of those side-characters who's so awesome that a temporary focus morphs into one that takes over the entire show. He already owns every scene he's in, no matter who else is in it.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The girl who won The Chick Fight, which villain is she going to become eventually? :Shrug:

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm out.
I gave the last two episodes 10 minutes each but they just weren't grabbing me. I hate everybody except for Bruce and Alfred, the atmosphere is uncomfortable and way too overt. I lost any and all interest when the cop guy 'interrogated' the suspect with a statuette. The show's not fun, it's hopeless and dire, and the campy spots just clash in a way that makes it all feel unbelievable rather than fantastical.

Dropped.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Am I the only one offended that the only major female villain character also is all about sex? It would have been way more interesting to me to have seen that ridiculous singer competition had they all been male. Seeing a male mob boss ask a male singer to try to seduce him etc? That's unique. Can you imagine Maroni asking the Penguin to do that? That would be unexpected. Seeing a female mob boss do the same thing with a female singer? Wow, you mean a big part of her power is her sexuality, what a shock :p .

I really found that entire subplot gross and sexist and distasteful. And ridiculously predictable. If I had any hope they were going for something interesting and different with GOTHAM that's all gone. GOTHAM is just pretty much like all mainstream shows. Men get to be interesting looking and weird and all kinds of personalities. The women are all gorgeous, thin and sexualised (okay, the captain is the only one who so far hasn't had anything sexual in her character. . . yay). And few and far between. It's the same old same old.

And the trailers for next week don't do anything to suggest they might be subverting these tired tropes.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Fish is fascinating...

It's James Gordon's girlfriend that's getting on my nerves. :e2smack:

Ian Thompson

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first episode last week and I really enjoyed it. So much so that Im going to go and watch the next one in 20 minutes. Even my wife enjoyed it and she normally hates this kind of thing.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Viper episode was delicious - Oh yeah, totally loving this. :)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I liked this one a lot better. There wasn't any moment of jaw-dropping stupidity from anyone this time (no being surprised that balloons pop!) and it felt like this one actually moved things - tying tightly into previous episodes while leaving the future uncertain and clearly set up for exploration. If it keeps up like this it might win be back fully.

Also, I appreciated that the easter egg was more subtle than most of them have been.