Not open for further replies.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Hello everyone,

Maybe this is an odd question. I don't really like the idea of being on tv, talking to radio, etc. I want a private life and writing works well with that, but I have a burning book idea that I've been working on and most agents want some sort of platform.

I thought about developing a website but I couldn't think of material I would use, that I would want to put in my book. And I don't want to have to keep up with a website either. (I have other books in mind to write, not all on the same topic.)

I can't imagine people who develop a nonfiction book have a website etc, for each one that they run and add articles to and keep up. Jenna does very well with this writing website and I know that's a great platform, but what else could be a platform?

What if I said I knew the owners of certain popular websites who are willing to run advertising? Or if I said I plan to advertise on such and such a website? Would that be good enough?

What sort of platforms are available that the agents want to see?

DeePower

platform questions

Platform is more than just a website, or advertising. It is how you will reach potential buyers of your book. It doesn't have to be a TV program, radio show or public media venue. It could be a syndicated column you write, your reputation as an expert in the industry, or your portfolio of articles you've had published.

The point is that the exposure of your name through your platform will increase the visibility of your book(s) and result in many, many, millions of sales.

I've had the same problem. Our first two books were written for entrepreneurs. I've written several articles on venture capital, been interviewed by national magazines, and quoted as an expert by newspapers.

Now our interest in writing has changed. Unfortunately the platform for the business books isn't worth a whole lot in the writing community, other than it shows we have been published.

As far as a website. I would recommend one for you as an author, rather than for the book. I've done both and the website for us as authors gets a lot more traffic than either of the book oriented websites.

Dee

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi BTC! Having the owners of websites willing to endorse/promote your book is very good, and that does tie into the idea of having a platform. If you're opposed to doing public speaking and giving interviews, then I'd concentrate on writing articles on your topic.

A few ideas for developing a platform:
-Write articles for newspapers, magazines, e-zines (becoming a regular columnist is even better)
-Offer your articles for free reprint on free reprint sites
-Offer to field Q&As for e-mail groups and forums related to your topic
-Teach an online course on the topic, or on a related topic
-Become a moderator on a forum that relates to your target audience

If I had created AW with the main intent of using it as a "platform," I'd be sorely disappointed-- it's a TON of work and not a lot of return in terms of increased book sales. For me, it worked the other way around-- I created the site because I wanted to, before I was even thinking of writing books, and along the way somewhere, I realized, "Hey! This is a good platform! Publishers will be impressed when they find out I have tens of thousands of weekly subscribers." But it takes a lot of effort and time to get there.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Thanks guys!

So I have an author website, and it does get visitors. Could I use this as a sort of platform?

And freebie articles being sent out work as a platform as well? Meaning that it shows I'm an 'expert' in what I'm wanting to write about?

And having a variety of articles published, being involved with a message board and being apart of an 'expert' website would be reasonable for agents (or publishers)?

I like those ideas much better than having to do radio or television. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.