How did you handle ARC copies in print and ebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I planning to launch my second book in August. It's ready now, but I want to do some promotion stuff first. I'm confused about ARC's. I want print and ebook copies, but I don't want my book listed just yet. I'm trying to learn Calibre, I think that could work. And then "proof" copies from CreateSpace? Are they okay with that? I mean because the proof copies are cheaper.

So if you did ARC's what did you do?

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks! I should have been a little more through in my search. I think I put in to many words.

ETA: I checked the other thread, and when I saw that I had responded to it a couple times, I thought I was losing my mind (not that that is actually a surprise mind you). But then I realized the reason I forgot is because your question was a little different than mine. You were asking about how to find people to send ARC's too.

My question is more technical. What is the best way to get copies of my book BEFORE I list it for sale with amazon et la?

I still appreciate your comment though. :)

Last edited:

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
LP, before my book's publication date, I printed 125 books to send out to the folks who'd backed my project and also reviewers. This was done in advance of the publication date. (I placed the ordered in the beginning of June, but the publication date was set for mid-July.) By ordering early, I was able to save on the shipping costs by not having to pay for rush. Since books are heavy, the price can be heavy too. :D

The books still arrived before CS's estimated arrival, and I was happy with the quality. I did notice that they weren't quite as good-looking as the proof copy, which seemed to have a bit more effort put into it. Maybe since that was the first one made and they only had to do one? I'm not sure, but the overall quality has been good, so I'm not complaining.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks McLesh.

So I'm still confused. On CreateSpace it says that once I approve the Proof copy the book will go live. I don't want it to go live yet. How did you order all those books (sounds so fun BTW) that weren't proofs but without going live? I'm feeling so dumb, but I can't figure out what I'm missing.

BrightSera

Neurotic Supernova
Registered
Reaction score
In a land far away filled with dark and stormy nig
I haven't done any paperback ARCs because it doesn't seem cost-efficient to me in return for a review.

Formatting ARCs with Calibre took me a day to learn, but once I got the hang of it, it's easy and only takes me a half hour to re-format a new version. (adding in back matter, etc.)

I can post my process or just PM it to you.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
BrightSera, I would like to know your process for Calibre. Here would be good because other people might be interested, or PM is fine.

There is a button on Calibre to email files, but it doesn't work for me. Frustrating because it would be awesome if it did.

MaggieDana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maggiedana.com
Thanks McLesh.

So I'm still confused. On CreateSpace it says that once I approve the Proof copy the book will go live. I don't want it to go live yet. How did you order all those books (sounds so fun BTW) that weren't proofs but without going live?

I'm in the same boat and would love to hear of others' experiences ... but from what I've learned by Googling this, you can still order copies of your book for yourself (not just proofs) if you disable the sales channels. This way, the book won't be available for anyone else to buy until you re-enable the sales channels.

If this is how it works, great. If not, and someone else has another method, I'd love to hear it.

Normally I just put the print books and ebooks up pretty much simultaneously, but I'd like to get my hands on a print copy of my new book ahead of time so I can sign it and send it to the young niece of a friend whose birthday is the same day as my planned launch.

Last edited:

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
You can still find the Calibre conversion files and email them to anyone you want though. The easiest way is to click where it says Path: click to open on the right, underneath the book cover. You'll see a folder which contains your book in whatever formats you've converted it to. Just attach the files to an email and you're good to go.

MaggieDana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maggiedana.com
Budgie (Brit term for a parakeet), how are you planning to upload your book to Amazon and others? If a Word or straight HTML doc you can request a download at the foot of your first uploading-to-KDP page. If you click on that you will get a fully formatted mobi file that you can then share with whomever you want.

If you're uploading ePub or mobi files to Amazon, then you can just send those to people.

Just be a little bit warned: some books that are formatted via Calibre and then uploaded to Amazon (in particular) have problems, i.e., Amazon might reject them. It depends on how intensive the formatting is. A novel would probably go through fine; a cookbook (formatted via Calibre) probably would not.

Over at the KDP formatting forum there are some very savvy folk (like here) who love to step in and help.

Here's a link:

https://kdp.amazon.com/community/forum.jspa?forumID=13

Hitch, at BookNookBiz is amazingly knowledgable and helpful.

I hope it's OK to post that here? Old Hack??? Am I breaking any rules with this?

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
How did you order all those books ... that weren't proofs but without going live?

You simply do not go live, that is, approve the book as the final copy.

I typically have to go through the printed book twice before I approve it. Each time I order a proof copy of my book. CS gives you a price break for proof copies. You pay only the printing/mailing cost, not that + your and the publisher's cut of the profits.

The reason for copy editing printed copies is that we usually see errors we would not see if we were reading the manuscript or the ebook version.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I should have been a little more through in my search. I think I put in to many words.

ETA: I checked the other thread, and when I saw that I had responded to it a couple times, I thought I was losing my mind (not that that is actually a surprise mind you). But then I realized the reason I forgot is because your question was a little different than mine. You were asking about how to find people to send ARC's too.

My question is more technical. What is the best way to get copies of my book BEFORE I list it for sale with amazon et la?

I still appreciate your comment though. :)

ah...got it. :) Well others have given you some great advice. I'm new and just going through this process. I did discover when I uploaded my book to KDP I could download a proof copy of my book and it came as a .mobi file. I've been using that for my ARC. I didn't have the option for .epub until after I loaded up on Smashwords, and since they don't have a upload and wait option not sure how to get one in that format.

I'm NOT tech savvy at all so I was very happy to see KDP gave me the .mobi file so I didn't have to figure out how to convert my doc. :)

Love the tips for Createspace. :)

BrightSera

Neurotic Supernova
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, I can post it here. It sounds really complicated, but it's not that bad once you do it a few times.

Note: This is how *I* do formatting, just because it's easier for me to go back and forth with the files if there is a mistake. It's basic, but it gets the job done.

1. Clean up and take all the metadata out of the final Word document.
-paragraphs are correctly automatically indented and not tabbed
-no extra spaces (you can do a Find and Replace All for this)
-no unnecessary spaces between paragraphs
-make sure alignment is justified
-take out page breaks (you can do this by hitting the pilcrow/paragraph icon on the home tab in Word and they should show up as dotted lines)
-make sure there is no track changes or comments in document
-remove any page numbers, or any other header/footer info

2. Put all chapter titles in headings. Make sure chapter titles are in a larger font and bolded, and put about 2-3 lines between text.
-Just highlight the chapter title and click on headings at the right of the home tab. This is adding metadata, but you're doing it so you can force a table of contents to be made in Calibre.

3. Save the file in SAVE AS and choose web page.

4. Open up Calibre. Hit Add Books on top left, choose "add books from single directory." Import file. Once it's downloaded, it'll show up in a numbered list on the main box.

5. Making sure the file is highlighted, click on Convert Books and choose "convert individually."

6. In the screen that pop ups, pay careful attention. The button at the top left is the input format, and the button on the top right is output format. You can switch output format in between epub or mobi. I usually format epub first, then convert the epub into the mobi second step.

7. At the right, add in title, author name, and series name (if applicable.) At the left, under the book picture, it says "change cover picture." There should be a small blue icon. Hit that and you can upload the file for your cover.

8. At the left, click on the paint can icon "Look and Feel." Check yes for "Remove spacing between paragraphs." Ignore everything else in there.

9. At the left, click on "Table of Contents." Check yes for "Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents."
-Go down the menu to Level 1 TOC (XPath expression.) Click on the weird wand icon at the right.
-Another window will pop up. On the first menu line "Match HTML tags with tag name," you'll get a drop down menu. Choose "h1" and hit okay.

10. At the bottom left, hit okay. Calibre will convert the file and it will show up in the main box with it's title. Double-click on it and you can look it over in the Calibre viewer, but for checking for errors and typos, it's best to save the file to disc and then transfer it to an ereader.

11. To do a mobi, do the Convert Book thing again, but make sure the input is the epub and the output file is mobi. You don't have to make any other changes, just hit okay.

BrightSera

Neurotic Supernova
Registered
Reaction score
Just be a little bit warned: some books that are formatted via Calibre and then uploaded to Amazon (in particular) have problems, i.e., Amazon might reject them. It depends on how intensive the formatting is. A novel would probably go through fine; a cookbook (formatted via Calibre) probably would not.

I've heard the same thing, so when the time comes, I'll be directly formatting and uploading to KDP. But for the purpose of my ARCs and making sure they were clean through trial and error, it was simpler using Calibre.

For what it's worth, I've put the Calibre mobi file on my two Kindles and it reads fine. And I haven't heard any complaints from people who've received the mobi, either.

Last edited:

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Thanks McLesh.

So I'm still confused. On CreateSpace it says that once I approve the Proof copy the book will go live. I don't want it to go live yet. How did you order all those books (sounds so fun BTW) that weren't proofs but without going live? I'm feeling so dumb, but I can't figure out what I'm missing.

LP, basically what Laer said. You don't go live and approve the final copy until you're ready for the book to go on sale. As I recall--and this is taxing my brain cells--I ordered the copies six weeks before the publication date, and the print version was listed on Amazon as available for pre-order once I approved the final print version.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I follow the same general procedure BrightSera described. However, I found a few technical issues with using Calibre this way.

Instead I first use Sigil to create an .epub file, then Calibre to create the .mobi. The .epub goes to B&N as a Nook book, the .mobi to Amazon as a Kindle book.

If you bother with an Apple distribution, you can also use the .epub, though you have to go through an additional step to be sure it complies with Apple’s requirements.

Once you have an ebook version you can email the .mobi or .epub to your reviewer as an attachment. The one exception to this is if the file is larger than your emailers can handle. This would be the case if you have lots of graphics inside, such as an illustrated cookbook or a travel journal with lots of photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.