Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh, is it cleaning weekend? I may have to fake being sick or something.

Wanna hear some great news? The contractor says he will finish today, except for replacing the glass globe on the light which broke when they installed it. We're waiting on the replacement.

I will be home alone again!

Maryn, out of coffee already

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And now the bad news. When he lifted the cardboard to clear out, one of the tiles came up. He has to reattach it, and it needs two days to cure, so he can't buff the floor and be done today after all.

Sigh...

Maryn, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
At the end of the tunnel, a beautiful tiled floor beckons! Today, I was in a hardware store on Whidbey Island and the customer ahead of me was buying a desktop fan. We are expecing temps over 90 next week (hardly ever happens, not once last 2 years). AC is considered conspicuous consumption, and a bad carbon footprint, out here, but when those rare hotties show up, the fans fly off the shelves.

Trevor, looking forward to a bit of sweat

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The typical summer temperatures of a lot of the US makes we marvel at the hardiness of those who settled there in the first place, before there was AC.

Watching the news coverage of the heat wave in the southwest, Mr. Maryn has finally agreed that I'm right, we will not move to Arizona when he retires. Since I'd have refused to go, I guess that's a good thing.

We have a cool moist day here, so far with steady rain. Mr. Maryn says we're going walking at some point today, rain or not. Might be okay, and it usually means the paths will be near-empty.

Maryn, who's been wet before

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My day didn't go as planned but I decided to get my bread machine out after a long while and found out just how long when I checked my yeast and it expired in 2010. Oops. So when I had to go to the store for an unexpected reason I also got more yeast. Bread machine is all fired up now with egg bread. Can't wait.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Watching the news coverage of the heat wave in the southwest, Mr. Maryn has finally agreed that I'm right, we will not move to Arizona when he retires. Since I'd have refused to go, I guess that's a good thing.

I had no idea our summer warmth was getting such attention. It's not as though it's out of the ordinary. During our first scouting trip to Tucson in 2003, it was over 112 for more than a week. If we want to take a walk outside, we go out around 5 am; by 7, it's already started to get intolerable.

On the other hand, for the other nine months, while the rest of the nation is bundling up like mummies, reattaching fingers removed by snow blowers, and watching their cars rust out from road salt, we waltz about wearing nothing heavier than a cardigan.

Retirees are golden down here. They're not named among the 'five C's' of the AZ economy, but ripping off retirees is a major economic driver down here. In return, we let them bellyache and complain about Mexicans and liberals and vote for their Tea Party favorites. Which is why the politics here are our major source of Schadenfreude.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At present, with our glorious nearly-finished new bathroom, we'll stay here and just not go outside five months a year. That's pretty reasonable, right?

Maryn, who shovels snow without complaint

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
you know I think i want snow but I wonder if I had more than just one light dusting of snowfall a year if I would still be glad?
As for the heat, well, I know I wouldn't miss it if the weather turned cooler.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly cleaned the tiny bit of the apartment I said I would clean. My hardcover books are still looking for a home, but everything else is taken care of. Girlfriend arrives on a redeye tomorrow morning.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take the books. Just box 'em up and send 'em west. I'll find them.

Maryn, who loves her some books

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I meant a home in the apartment, it's mostly Pratchett but all our bookshelves are completely full.

(Though if you want what my parents have pressed on us after BEA four years running ...)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear you on those full shelves. I've doubled up paperbacks, two rows one behind the other, on every shelf. But I have a stack perhaps three feet high with no place to go.

And now our daughter's moving, giving me back all the books I loaned her, and some of her own I might like. Gaaaah!

I need one of those multi-story libraries with the rolling ladder. And a stuffy butler.

Maryn, who's never been buttled

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want a house elf. Where can I get a house elf?

I've moved so much, my books aren't piled up that much, though we have books in every room of the house.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know where to get a house elf, Sass.
I am working on moving books out of the house. All three of us are bookaholics. The house is decorated in Early American Used Bookstore.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I love that description!
Mine is in modern media collections (books, cds, dvds/blurays and video games) and action figures.and piles of mail. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Piles of mail. Yeah, that's us, too.

Maryn, whose cool little table is always covered

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say 90% of ours is advertising or requests for money from charities, politicians, religious groups, etc. My mother in law has been dead for a decade, my father in law twice that, but we still get requests for money several times a week for both of them.

In the last year, the horrible calls for my MIL have stopped. She never lived here, so when someone asks for Mrs. H---, I assume they mean me, since that's my name, too. Until they wonder if I forgot that I'd pledged $25 to Help Rush Limbaugh Promote Hate or Support that Religious Belief which Isn't Yours.

It really bothered me that these people were just fine with outright lies, since the dead don't pledge money. For years I told them she was dead and to remove her form their lists, and some did, but some did not. (Guideposts magazine was the worst.) So I tried a new tactic, making myself sound upset. "She's dead. Dead! I tell you that every time you call. And just when I think I can finally move on, you people call again, and--" At which point I burst into noisy hysterical sobs.

Maryn, not much of an actress, but good enough

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why, yes, I just made a pitcher of booze-laden something, already beaded with condensation because it's that cold. Shall I pour you a tall one or a short?

Maryn, who could use one, too

Status
Not open for further replies.