The hacker group "Anonymous"

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Was the video provided to the police as evidence, though? That would seem like a good thing to do with it.

I have no idea, but I doubt it. I mean, that's not what anonymous does. They "provided" the evidence by leaking it online for all to see.

The whole twisted story is here (enter thee of thine own risk, tons of potentially disturbing pics/vids therein): http://localleaks.blogs.ru/2013/01/01/steubenvillefiles/

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if that is true, he should be charged with accessory to rape, end of story. That kind of information should be given to the police.

I thought the point of Anon publicizing it was "look what a dick this guy is for laughing..."

Anyhoo.

Perhaps this action by anon has brought new evidence to light for law enforcement to investigate?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Understand the mentality of 'football' towns and schools - and it's not just football, or any sport in general. The champion players can get away with anything up to murder (and sometimes even that). So can the children of prominent citizens. I saw similar incidents play out in the pre-internet days in a small western US town. The police may or may not have been involved in this cover-up, but they probably wouldn't have exerted much effort anyway.

Anon might be dicks occasionally, but sometimes they do pull off stunts for the greater good.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, they're publicizing all of this because a gang rape was alleged to have been covered up by a lot of people, possibly including members of a high school staff and even the local prosecuting attorney (whose own son is alleged to have hosted the party where the attack occurred). The back story is that this one of those high school football towns, and the "rape crew" were mostly members of the local team.

From what I've read, anons got involved because of the alleged cover up. The video was released as "evidence."

Was the video provided to the police as evidence, though? That would seem like a good thing to do with it. At least giving them a chance to get their act together before inviting mob action.
Exactly.

Unless the police are in on the cover up too....

Perhaps this action by anon has brought new evidence to light for law enforcement to investigate?
Maybe this action has brought pressure on law enforcement to investigate.

Which would be good. Sounds like a John Grisham novel, too...

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps folks are forgetting that if the local police are thought to be involved in a cover up, there's also the option of going to the state police. And if anons really wanted to "do good", that's what they should have done with this video.

So what was the real purpose here? Bringing this to light, bringing these people to justice - or self-aggrandizing?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
...and playing to the crowd whilst building their own brand.

IMHO I am not buying the entire police force was actively covering up a rape just because Anonymous says so. But even If they were, you send it to their boss, and then their boss (the elected official). And then when they do nothing you have proof to take them all down for it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So what was the real purpose here? Bringing this to light, bringing these people to justice - or self-aggrandizing?

I think it's a bit of A, a bit of B and a bit of C: There really is a philosophy that states that all information doesn't just deserve to be free, but it should be shouted at the top of your lungs.

Whether you agree with it or not, it still is a political/social philosophy that moves beyond just self-aggrandizement or brand name growing.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Moves beyond in good ways and bad, but includes those elements as well. It reminds me a lot of ALF. Having actually met people acting under that banner left me with rather little respect for it. I suspect the same might be true for Anon.

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
It would seem that the vid is old news to law enforcement.

“Since late August 2012, the subject who made the video was interviewed,” Steubenville Police Chief William McCafferty told CBS affiliate WTRF-TV. “This has all been turned over to the prosecutors, which are the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.”

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
The "kid" in the video is 18 by the way. And god, this just gets worse, the more I read about it. They drugged her and then dragged her to several parties. One of the football players tweeted "I have no sympathy for whores" during the attack

everything is horrible

ETA: eight pages about it in NYT

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Moves beyond in good ways and bad, but includes those elements as well. It reminds me a lot of ALF. Having actually met people acting under that banner left me with rather little respect for it. I suspect the same might be true for Anon.

"Banner" is the right image. It's like hoisting the black flag. Two different ships flying the Jolly Roger don't necessarily work together or know each other.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
The "kid" in the video is 18 by the way. And god, this just gets worse, the more I read about it. They drugged her and then dragged her to several parties. One of the football players tweeted "I have no sympathy for whores" during the attack

everything is horrible
How much time do you think her rapists will get? Anything less than 40-years is a light sentence, IMO.

Also, there was a peaceful rally by Anon members.
There also was a police presence, but the rally stayed peaceful. Many in the gathering were silent, while others wore Guy Fawkes masks or held signs reading "It's not sex if the girl doesn't say yes," "Arrest the rest of them" and "Rape isn't a sport." Others in the gathering shouted indiscriminately, while many filmed the proceedings or fed a live stream of the event on the Internet. A curious crowd also gathered across the street to film and watch the protest, while Jefferson County sheriff's deputies and members of the Steubenville Police Department stood by. Others driving by honked in support of the rally.

DiPietrantonio also said she was upset the alleged crime happened at all. Others said they were themselves victims of a sexual assault, and this was a way for them to bring to light a crime that isn't always reported.

"I joined Anonymous a week ago," said Holly Hughes of Costonia. "I believe in everything they stand for. That poor girl - what she went through."

Hughes said she herself was a victim of sexual assault, adding the system wasn't working for her. She said she wanted to stand up for victims of sexual assault locally.
http://www.heraldstaronline.com/page/content.detail/id/581598.html

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have much to say about Anonymous that hasn't already been said; I dislike vigilantism, even when it's done in a good cause. But as for people who say 'Boys will be boys' and write it off as such, I have only one thing to say: If this is how teenage boys act, then it says something deeply wrong about adolescent society as a whole, and something needs to change. If shaming them or making them face the consequences of their actions can affect that change, then I advocate it fully.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Understand the mentality of 'football' towns and schools - and it's not just football, or any sport in general. The champion players can get away with anything up to murder (and sometimes even that). So can the children of prominent citizens. I saw similar incidents play out in the pre-internet days in a small western US town. The police may or may not have been involved in this cover-up, but they probably wouldn't have exerted much effort anyway.

Anon might be dicks occasionally, but sometimes they do pull off stunts for the greater good.

Penn State, anyone?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I think it's a bit of A, a bit of B and a bit of C: There really is a philosophy that states that all information doesn't just deserve to be free, but it should be shouted at the top of your lungs.

Whether you agree with it or not, it still is a political/social philosophy that moves beyond just self-aggrandizement or brand name growing.
Maybe, but when the people doing the shouting are wrapped in anonymity, it's a major contradiction. After all, that's information as well...

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
...and playing to the crowd whilst building their own brand.

IMHO I am not buying the entire police force was actively covering up a rape just because Anonymous says so. But even If they were, you send it to their boss, and then their boss (the elected official). And then when they do nothing you have proof to take them all down for it.

The story itself before Anonymous became involved should have made headlines everywhere, imho. Yes, allegations are that the police support the football team. This is one of those stories like the gang-rape in India, where local attitudes of those in power are truly warped.

I've never seen a 'football town', but apparently this is all very real and very true.

Lots of people knew of this gang rape as it was occurring. The kid on the video live tweeted during the whole incident. Nobody called the police or got help for this girl that night. Her parents took her to the hospital the next morning.

After that night, great efforts were taken to keep the effect on the football team as minimal as possible. It's truly a vile and disgusting story that has so much to do with particular rape cultures. It is incredible, but it happens, and I'm glad Anonymous blew the lid off it since nobody seems to have heard of the story before they became involved.

I'm disgusted with our media right now. I'm disgusted with that town. People need to wake up to the realities of rape cultures, where they are, and what they look like.

I suggest everyone watch the full video. The rape may still be taking place, it is (was?) is another room of the house, and the girl is being dragged around unconscious between rapings. This is not a video made days later or anything.

eta: a link to the full video and other articles about the Steubenville Gang Rape
http://deadspin.com/5972527/she-is-...r-the-night-of-the-alleged-rape?post=55745275

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen any of the video or read past the intro of any news stories, just reading about it here is enough for me. I trust others' judgement that it's bad. It's been a few years since I've been to any (ahem) "rotten" sites on the Net, and I'm better off not seeing stuff like that.
I wouldn't call anonymous a good or bad thing, though I think exposing people like this is a very good thing.It's so easy for us as a society to sweep things under the carpet and pretend that they don't exist but this forces us to face them. A bit more transparency is good for society, in my opinion.
But (as robeiae said) the Anonymous people/group/entities are not being transparent about their own identities.
I am reminded of all those discussions in fantasy books about the nature of magic, and how it's not good or evil on its own, it depends on who wields it.
Yes, who and how. That's been widely said about technology, too.
I think it's important to note he isn't laughing "at a rape joke" he's laughing at a girl who has just been raped, a rape he apparently witnessed. Even if he was high during the video and when he made the tweets, I doubt he was high when he helped cover it up.

ETA: and Chrissy, right, I didn't mean he should be locked up. I was more talking about the idea of collectively letting people know that their behavior is abhorrent. It was suggesting the opposite, in fact. Not that he be arrested, as few people would have someone arrested for what he did. And so, in lieu of what we all agree would be government overstepping, it becomes an issue of social condemnation. He can't and shouldn't be arrested, but collectively shaming him works against the neutralization effect he gets within his group of asshole friends. Instead of 30 people who are okay with it, it becomes almost everyone on the internet agreeing it was shitty.
He witnessed a felony being committed and he did nothing to stop it himself and didn't notify authorities. That in itself is a felony. If police had known in time what was happening, the girl's life might have been saved.
A parallel could be drawn to the shock jocks who showed how poor hospital security was. With the unintended consequence of prompting a suicide.

Being named and shamed on the internet most likely, in my opinion, leads to retribution and shunning more often then to making a person even more anti-social, than leading to them mending their ways.

We have plenty of examples of this, e.g. kitten in the bin video etc.
I think the shock jocks thing is different in so many ways - they didn't expect to get as far as they did, didn't mean any actual harm, and of course after the suicide they were hugely remorseful. The guys in the video apparently have no remorse, and their only regret was getting caught.

There was the video a few years ago, an unnamed US soldier threw a puppy over a cliff. As I recall, the video being on Youtube led to the perp being identified and punished.

Whether they "mend their ways" is up to them, but publicizing the event generally leads to justice being done.
Was the video provided to the police as evidence, though? That would seem like a good thing to do with it. At least giving them a chance to get their act together before inviting mob action.
Perhaps folks are forgetting that if the local police are thought to be involved in a cover up, there's also the option of going to the state police. And if anons really wanted to "do good", that's what they should have done with this video.

There may be a point in the purpose being self-aggrandizing, it may even be the main point, but now all relevant local, state and federal police (as in the FBI) are aware of the case. The video is evidence that would be presented in the case, and surely leak out to the public regardless.

There's perhaps an argument that publicizing the video before a trial may make it harder to find jurors who haven't heard of the case, but I think at least in this case publicizing the video is on the whole for the good.
Maybe, but when the people doing the shouting are wrapped in anonymity, it's a major contradiction. After, that's information as well...
Yes. This. There's something about hiding behind a mask that bothers me, though I can't quite put it into words. At least Julian Assange, no matter what else he might have done or been accused of, had the balls to stand up and be the public face of Wikileaks. I can only wonder about this quasi-organization named Anonymous.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Anonymity can serve a lot of purposes. One of the more nobler functions is to allow someone to do the type of good that would probably gain them a lot of attention and praise without the 15 minutes of (internet) fame that follows. I think it's much more commendable to help other people (in whatever way you see fit) anonymously than not. I'm sure some do it because they're afraid to have anyone find out (not necessarily because they're ashamed. I've always thought of the internet as a great place where people who have crippling social anxiety or other similar issues can be active in ways they're unable to IRL) But I think a lot wouldn't care.

Julian Assange, imo, is a great example of why internet movements shouldn't have faces. At this point, more people can tell you about who he sexually assaulted and where than anything related to wikileaks.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Anonymity can serve a lot of purposes.
Sure. But in relation to the philosophy/ideology Zoombie was talking about, it has no place.
Julian Assange, imo, is a great example of why internet movements shouldn't have faces. At this point, more people can tell you about who he sexually assaulted and where than anything related to wikileaks.
Doubt it.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw the team's website that is now un-hacked. Here is their posted response:

http://rollredroll.com/

As you are probably aware, this web site was recently hacked into illegally numerous times by a terrorist group. The outrageous claims they made while controlling this site were totally false, completely absurd, and totally unfounded. They were clearly both libelous and slanderous, and were not even intended to reveal truth, but rather simply to get media attention and terrorize the Steubenville community. Innocent people have been greatly harmed.

Unfortunately, several national media outlets, including the New York Times, have recklessly decided to aid and abet these acts of illegality and give the terrorists exactly what they wanted by disseminating inaccurate and legally actionable information and accusations. Incredibly, they have done so without even bothering to contact this web site for comment.

We wish to make it clear that we will pursue legal justice against the perpetrators of these evil acts and all of those in the media who chose to help them.

Roll Red Roll

Jim Parks​

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Anonymity can serve a lot of purposes. One of the more nobler functions is to allow someone to do the type of good that would probably gain them a lot of attention and praise without the 15 minutes of (internet) fame that follows. I think it's much more commendable to help other people (in whatever way you see fit) anonymously than not. I'm sure some do it because they're afraid to have anyone find out (not necessarily because they're ashamed).
If I were going into competition with governments for the justice business, I'd figure maintaining anonymity was a requirement. Governments generally don't care for competition in their declared monopolies. Make yourself publicly known and you make yourself a target for retribution of one form or another.

See also: The story of Lysander Spooner and the American Letter Mail Company.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw the team's website that is now un-hacked. Here is their posted response:

http://rollredroll.com/

LOL terrorists. Wasn't the NYT piece was written before anon went after the players? And a good amount of the claims are documented in photos, videos and tweets. They're going to have to do better than "EVERYONE IS LYING"