Querying new work, but older books self-published

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site, but have been reading it for a while.

I have a new novel (never been published anywhere yet) that I would like to submit to publishers and/or agents and I am a bit stumped by the query letter.

I know self-published books are not considered a professional publication credit, but should I mention them in the query or avoid mentioning them at all costs? I feel if I don't at least mention them in passing that the publisher will think I was trying to hide something. All they'd need to do was check google and they'd see them anyway, LOL!

I've had a short story collection accepted by Double Dragon E-books a few years ago and have had stories accepted for anthologies, but nothing novel length as yet. I did have a contract a few years ago for a different novel, but things didn't work out and the publisher has since folded.

I would welcome any input/suggestions.

Thanks very much

Annette.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Unless the self/e-pubbed books sold in very high numbers, don't bother mentioning them. You're trying to sell this new book to agents. Focus on writing a good query that makes them want to request pages from this one.

Edited to add: I've seen alternating feedback regarding e-book credits. Some successful print authors started in e-books, but they were also extremely successful in their medium and genre (erotic romance) before moving to print. If the short story anthologies were print, definitely mention them.

Last edited:

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, that helps a lot!

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Eriador!

I'd not mention the novel for which you did have a contract, since it didn't pan out, but if you can mention your previous publications with tact and articulation, I don't suppose there's any reason not to. Partularly - definitely! - if they at all relate to what you're currently pitching.

Danthia

Ditto Eriador. Any work you were paid for is good to mention, or self-pub'd books that sold well. (As in 1000's of copies).

Don't stress too much on past credits. They don't help all that much unless they're very notable. It's the book itself that will make or break you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.