Not open for further replies.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
You mean those Asian doughnuts? The ones covered in sugar? Those are SOO good!!

Yay for inspiration!!! I've been working on my spec fic a little bit in between projects today. :D

*fistbumps Soapy*

WRITERS UNITE!

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I don't care if there is sugar on top or not. But I do like it when they are filled with deliciousness. Sweet or savory.

Yay for inspiration!!! I've been working on my spec fic a little bit in between projects today. :D

*fistbumps Soapy*

WRITERS UNITE!
Yay for writing! I'm about 100 words away from hitting 70K on the novel today.

*looks over shoulder nervously* My muse isn't around, is he?

I better get back to it before he shows up and starts with the whip cracking.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MOONCAKES!

Unless Soapy's got the wrong thing, mooncakes are not like doughnuts. They tend to be of a heavier pastry, and are filled with various sweet things. And generally not coated in sugar. Or anything else.

They are traditional foods for the Autumn Lunar Festival.

I like the ice cream ones best, but I've never seen them outside of China.

:e2bummed:

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
They tend to be of a heavier pastry, and are filled with various sweet things.
No, those are the ones I meant. I just figured with as many variations as there are, sugar on top could be one of them. But you're right, denser than a doughnut. (I'm going to use that phrase...somewhere, I swear.)
I like the ice cream ones best, but I've never seen them outside of China.

:e2bummed:
Ooh, ice cream. I don't think I've had ice cream filled ones. But it sounds sorta like Mochi ice cream. I like the bean paste ones best. Or chocolate.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What? :tongue

You don't?

Oh, and speaking of food and kids...today the littlest one says that he wants me get sardines at the store next time because he wants to try them.

Sure, he won't eat celery, but sardines? :Wha:

*sigh* So I have to buy a whole tin of sardines so that he can ultimately taste, and then reject, them after one bite. :rolleyes:

Anyone have a recipe for sardines? I'm going to have a bunch leftover, I think.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What? :tongue

You don't?

Oh, and speaking of food and kids...today the littlest one says that he wants me get sardines at the store next time because he wants to try them.

*sigh* So I have to buy a whole tin of sardines so that he can ultimately taste, and then reject, them after one bite. :rolleyes:

I had them once on pizza during lent. Lots of cheese and jalapenos covered up the taste. Maybe instead of buying him a tin of them you can just get him a little personal pizza or something with the sardines on it.

andreea

Yeeeesss??
Registered
Reaction score

Sardines are really good, especially if you get them fresh. You can deep fry them, or prepare them with sos (red with garlic, basil and oregano or white with lemon or mustard). I don't exactly have a recipe because I like to try something else everytime, but if you need I'll find you one.

Graphite

Hodor. Hodor. Hodor.
Registered
Reaction score
I can hear my Portuguese in-laws groaning from miles away, but canned sardines in water smothered in yellow mustard...
4469804273_b2ec431582.jpg

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with sardines? Sardines are tasty. I'd rather eat sardines than celery myself. Celery tastes horrible. Sardines are nice snacking on. I love how you can feel their little spines crush when you chew them.

:)

Shuemais

We can't always be the Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Besides the obvious ("DIFFERENT BREED OF FISH EL OH EL!") ... what is the difference between anchovies and sardines?

How they're packaged? Taste? Texture?

Us non-fish eaters are curious, yo.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can hear my Portuguese in-laws groaning from miles away, but canned sardines in water smothered in yellow mustard...
4469804273_b2ec431582.jpg

I think I remember SaraP telling me Portuguese eat a lot of sardines there. She may be *the* one to ask, Soapy. I'm pretty sure a while back she was telling me about one of her favorite traditional dishes involving them.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I'm pretty sure BigWords doesn't even know what broccoli is. :D

I do so - it is the small green bits on the Super Deluxe 34" pizza. :tongue

Worth every penny. :D

Has he told you about his marshmallow obsession?

*sigh* Yeah. Everyone knows I have the diet of a thirteen year old. I am currently in the middle of a Randoms binge. :D

Oh, and all this talk of Asian food reminds me - you all should make a point of watching the Fruit Chan film Dumplings. Trust me on this one... You need to watch it. :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, ice cream. I don't think I've had ice cream filled ones. But it sounds sorta like Mochi ice cream. I like the bean paste ones best. Or chocolate.

I don't know what Mochi ice cream is, but the ice cream mooncakes I had were like the best ice cream sandwiches *ever*.

:D

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jeez, thanks, guys. So much response to the sardines. That's awesome. :D
get him a little personal pizza or something with the sardines on it.
sardines in a dip?
Both of those ideas are good. I think he wants to definitely eat it whole/plain. But I could do that with the leftovers for the rest of us. :idea: (and by rest of us, I mean me. :tongue)

Sardines are really good, especially if you get them fresh.
I never thought of that. I have always only had them in a can. We've got seafood departments that other states dream of here.

You can deep fry them, or prepare them with sos (red with garlic, basil and oregano or white with lemon or mustard).
THAT sounds amazing. Though it's best not to have me working with oil and heat. Really. I could do a variation on it though. Maybe breaded and baked? Thanks, Andreea.

What's wrong with sardines? Sardines are tasty. I'd rather eat sardines than celery myself. Celery tastes horrible. Sardines are nice snacking on. I love how you can feel their little spines crush when you chew them.
Funny thing is, I actually used to like them as a kid. But I was a pretty adventurous eater then. I'm worried I'll get them now and won't like them anymore and be left with a lot of extra ones. And cooked fish gives me a stomachache often, so even as tasty as it sounds, I'm still a little gun-shy. Pickled fish (pickled anything) does too. I really just like fish raw. And I don't know how to prepare it raw.

what is the difference between anchovies and sardines?

How they're packaged? Taste? Texture?
I know, right? I was wondering this, too. And herring, too. I get those all confused. I've only ever had anchovies in a restaurant and I'm unsure how much my portion represents of the package, since they are usually used sparingly on pizza or salad. I could probably eat *a* salad with some anchovies/sardines, but not multiple ones in the time before they went bad.

I think I remember SaraP telling me Portuguese eat a lot of sardines there.
Ah, yes. True.

I don't know what Mochi ice cream is,
Less cakey, more...gummy. Yours sounds better.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I get little tins of sardines at the dollar store. They come plain and in lots of different sauces. I don't eat them often, but they're a good, cheap source of protein. Ate a lot of them in my college days.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:eek: I can't bring myself to buy food from the dollar store. You must have nicer ones where you are. Or you are much more of a risk taker than I am.

Actually, I can't even bring myself to go *into* the dollar store anymore. The one by me is managed by this gigantic guy with some of the worst hygiene I've ever seen. And a black, nasty pinky nail (not nail polish) about 3 inches long that looks like a claw rather than a nail. He's always doing things with it. Like using it to turn magazine corners. I don't even want to begin to entertain ideas about what else he uses it for. :eek: (though, secretly I do because it makes good story fodder :D)

And, the last two times I went in with my kids, someone ended up with the flu a couple days later. :( That alone was a message to me that it was not a place I should EVER go back to.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There are two shops here which kinda count as Dollar Store-type companies - Poundstretcher (which is ewww) and The Pound Shop (which is the first one I have seen, so it may be a Scottish thing). Neither is particularly nice, though they do sell stuff I like so I brave them to get what I want and leave as quickly as possible. The only place I can't bring myself to enter is Lidl (or however it is spelled) which is so decrepit and freaky that I imagine it to be the inspiration for The Mist every time I see it. I like my little luxuries, so I tend to go wherever sells the foods I like, regardless of how much I have to splash on them.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
The last dollar store I went in had nearly as many visible mousetraps (active, lying in wait mousetraps) as it did floor tiles.

:eek:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I buy canned pasta sauce from the dollar store.

No mouse traps. Never seen a mouse trap in the one I go to, and it's light and open and the carpets are clean. Looks just like a regular grocery store

I've bought cookies and soda from there too, and Gatoraide.

Yeah - great for cheap cleaning supplies too ;)

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I have two dollar stores within driving distance. One is nice and new and clean; the other...isn't. I shop at both of them *grin* But then, I'm the person who went to Mexico and ate and drank all the things they warn you not to and never had a problem. My friend, on the other hand, followed all the rules obsessively...and ended up confined to a hotel room for two days with a dodgy tummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.