Rejectomancy

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Received a really perplexing rejection from one of the senior editors at a zine today.

The personal note was: .

No reason given as to why it wouldn't get past the editor-in-chief, so i'm left feeling kinda weird. Was it deemed offensive somehow? Some other reason?
Weird indeed. Reminds me of ASIM's slushie's who leave the most vaguest, unhelpful comments.

Can you PM the zine? I'm curious which one it is.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
49-day rejection from News from the Republic of Letters.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
One and two day rejections? How in the world did you get responses that quickly?

Maybe it is due to the markets I have been sending things to, but I am usually waiting weeks. The only exception being Clarkesworld.

L. E. White

It's just my luck. They automatically know it's not for them. Woo...

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the recent long or odd R's Marzioli, Project Deadlight, Izz and O'Dandelo and everyone else in the recent batch. :-(

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
30-day R from ST.

ETA: Aaaaaaaand 68-day R from Asimov. Guess things are picking up.

Last edited:

Darkwing

Been a while since I popped in here, but I had a moment so thought I'd come by. But I wish I had anything as exciting as some Rs to relate! Still lots of silence (one month's worth) from the mag that accepted my children's story. I'm beginning to worry.

Otherwise I've got 87-day crickets from Fantastic Frontiers (which makes me think either my story is being held for consideration OR they've forgotten it? It's flash, so not exactly a long read, and they've already rejected things they received after mine . . . idk) and 52-day crickets from Analog. But that makes sense if there's a change in editor happening.

So sad, only two subs now. ;_; Wish I had time to write so I could revise the story I started dealing with before I got a teaching job.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
1-day R from Clarkesworld. I opened the story up before submitting it to another market and noticed I'd typed a note to myself right above the story's title! My first major forehead-slapping moment.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
...noticed I'd typed a note to myself right above the story's title! My first major forehead-slapping moment.

Ouch! That is something I could see myself doing too. :(

Commiserations for all the R's everyone.

Darkwing - do you think it might be worth a polite query? Just to check they received your acceptance email or whatever? I'm sure they wouldn't mind from an accepted author after one month.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
1-day R from Clarkesworld. I opened the story up before submitting it to another market and noticed I'd typed a note to myself right above the story's title! My first major forehead-slapping moment.

Oh well, at least you checked the story before continuing to send it out to other markets!

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com

Yikes! That's why I always keep a separate file for any notes on a story, as I'm sure I'd end up doing that eventually. Good thing you caught it.

6-day form from ASIM for me. Back into the jungle.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
56-day rejection from Hayden's Ferry Review and 37-day rejection from The Bitter Oleander Press.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! I just found out that DSF response was my 250th rejection! This calls for a celebration. Of one. With a bottle of whiskey and some blues playing in the background. :D

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Higher tier form from Nightmare. The "nicely written; look forward to seeing more" one.