American Community Survey - Has anyone had the pleasure?

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score
Received an ACS recently. The cover letter reads in part..."The information collected in this survey will help decide where new schools, hospitals, and fire stations are needed..."

The survey then goes on to ask such questions as:

How many times have you been married. :eek:
When do you leave for work.
All income sources and gross income for previous 12 months for all members of household.
Names, ages, birth dates, ethnicity, place of birth, and citizenship of all household members.
How many bedrooms.
How much you pay monthly for electricity, gas, water.
What is your monthly mortgage payment.
Payment on your 2nd.
How many rooms in your home.
Specific questions regarding disabilities, physical, mental, or emotional conditions.
Specific question regarding ethnic ancestry.
The specific subject you received a college degree in.

Just to name a few.

While big business no doubt benefits from having as much information about citizens as possible, many citizens are unwilling to give away their right to privacy. Hence, many are refusing to return the ACS. This automatically results in an additional ACS form being sent, followed by a series of phone calls. In 21% of the cases, an unannounced, personal visit from a Census Bureau representative follows in a final attempt to get the ACS completed. Often more than one visit takes place.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-acs-american-community-survey.htm

IMO, this is an invasive and privacy violating requirement. I fulfilled my constitutional duty with the census. Am disinclined to participate in this in spite of potential penalties.

Your thoughts?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't fill the damn thing out. Let them come visit me. What are they going to do, pester me to death?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The comments are hee-lar-i-ous.

One said he'd fill it out if Obama produced his birth certificate. :ROFL:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me this is one of the first items that can be cut from the Federal budget.
Apparently they can levy a fine up to $5000 for failure to fill out the form. I'd like to see where this type of action is authorized by the Constitution. A census every ten years...

Of course, one could have fun with the form - "married 17 times, live in a 42 bedroom home, have no income..................... and graduated from college with a degree in constitutional law."

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
From the Census Bureau website:

"Data from the American Community Survey helps your community. The information that the Census Bureau collects helps to determine how more than $400 billion dollars of federal funding each year is spent on infrastructure and services."

I suppose it's too much to hope that without the information gleaned from the Survey they couldn't spend the $400 Billion?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The intrusiveness of the census (which this is just part of ) is off-putting to be sure.

But don't forget, the point of this information is to figure out how to spend tax dollars in the most effective way possible, and to get programs and money where they're needed instead of where they're not.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, this is an invasive and privacy violating requirement. I fulfilled my constitutional duty with the census. Am disinclined to participate in this in spite of potential penalties.

Your thoughts?

I don't see how it is invasive and privacy violating when the survey is essentially voluntary. If anyone was fined for non-compliance, the ACLU would be all over it. If you don't want to give the information, don't. If you want to answer some of the questions and not others, don't. I'd probably answer most of the questions, because I want to be sure my needs are counted. I hesitate at answering money questions. At first the 'time leaving for work' seemed stalker-ish, but then I realized for traffic control and school busing, it might save a lot of time.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see how it is invasive and privacy violating when the survey is essentially voluntary. If anyone was fined for non-compliance, the ACLU would be all over it. If you don't want to give the information, don't. If you want to answer some of the questions and not others, don't. I'd probably answer most of the questions, because I want to be sure my needs are counted. I hesitate at answering money questions. At first the 'time leaving for work' seemed stalker-ish, but then I realized for traffic control and school busing, it might save a lot of time.

As Gregg states above, there IS a fine for non-compliance. Anywhere from $100 to $5000. And the ACLU isn't all over it, to my knowledge.

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised is, at the community level, rates of remarraige correlate with a need for certain services.