Anyone try BookBub?

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I was considering using this service in the near future.

Anyone give it a try? Results?

Thanks!

ScarletWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
I use it and think it's pretty great. Sure, there's some low-quality stuff sometimes but there can also be some great ones that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

ETA: I use it as a reader. Haven't used it as a writer.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I have not personally used it yet, but I know many people who have. If you have a look at other writing boards where there are many more self-published authors, you'll find threads detailing dozens and dozens of experiences with Bookbub.

If you can get an ad with them (you might have to try multiple times before you do, or you might never get accepted if your books don't meet their criteria), then you're most probably going to be happy with the results.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I haven't used it yet, because my first book is too short. But I plan to try with my second book because of the positive reviews I have read from writers here on AW that have used it.

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info. I'm looking for the writer side, but will wait to submit to let my book circulate for some time.

I do wonder from the reader side if people load up on titles and never read them. I do that with free Amazon titles on my Kindle. Sometimes I go through my Kindle and find a gem I loaded for free, and don't even remember when I did it.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I haven't used it because my book is targeted to a niche market, and I'd probably end up losing money. However, i've heard very good things about it from other authors who write popular genre fiction.

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, Writer BN, thanks for the free book, Ill give it a read this weekend and get a review up :)...

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Hello,

I was considering using this service in the near future.

Anyone give it a try? Results?

Thanks!

My last publisher used Book Bub for one of my novels, priced at .99 cents. It sold a gazillion copies, and sales remained high for months when the price returned to $4.99. One of my other books is getting ready to go on sale there, as well. Definitely worth the money just for the exposure alone.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
My experience was similar to pop's. A month before the release of my second book, my publisher ran a promo making my first book free at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes, etc., and ran a BookBub ad for it. That book got up to #2 on one of the Amazon bestseller lists (free ebook -historical romance....and up to #25 for free ebook fiction).

I don't have hard numbers yet on the effects of the promo in subsequent months when the price went up again...nor do I have numbers yet on the sales of book 2.

But I'd say it made a big difference. (Since it was all done through my publisher, I have no idea how much it costs to work with BookBub.)

JackFred

Registered
Reaction score
Bookbub is hugely powerful. Highly recommended. Also recommend One Hundred Free Books. I covered my costs with them and they are easier to get your book listed on (Bookbub is extremely selective). OHFBs just raised their prices but I'm going back for another try in early August.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Bookbub is hugely powerful. Highly recommended. Also recommend One Hundred Free Books. I covered my costs with them and they are easier to get your book listed on (Bookbub is extremely selective). OHFBs just raised their prices but I'm going back for another try in early August.

Thanks good to know. I hadn't heard of them before.

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard either, thanks for the site :)...

I'm about to launch my travel and business memoir and looking forward to posting results from whatever service I go with.

grizzletoad1

Plodding around into things.
Registered
Reaction score
Bookbub rejected me. Said my book was not right for their list. Oh well. I did sell another book today on Amazon. And with my reviews averaging 4+ stars, people DO like it. If only others knew it was out there.

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Grizzle,

You just sold another one, looking forward to reading and reviewing it :)...It may take me a few weeks to get to it as I'm slammed with work right now.

I just released my travel and business memoir about my attempt to start my own print travel guide company in Colombia and the insanity I dove into chasing my dreams all over the world.

It will be free on Kindle a few more days...

I'm going to wait on Bookbub, but will give it a shot after I clean my book up for the print version in a month or so.

As of now I'm blind for formatting and editing, and I'm going to hide as my dark secrets are all out to the world now :)...

Last edited:

grizzletoad1

Plodding around into things.
Registered
Reaction score
Columbia,

Thanks! I appreciate your support. I had the same issues with editing. It wasn't until I got my first hard copy proofs from Create Space that I saw many of my errors. It took no less than 9 proofs to get them all right! I was very anal about it. Just take your time. You'll get it there. Enjoy the book.

Last edited:

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
No problem Grizzle...

Ok that is good to hear. After I edited so many times I couldn't believe I kept finding errors on my part and I know more are lurking.

Wow, 9 proofs, I should pay you to edit, you are dedicated!

I was thinking today it takes more time to edit than actually create and write.

Looking forward to your book, I love the cover.