Traditional print publishers and e-books

Status
Not open for further replies.

gracemichael

wondering ...
Registered
Reaction score
I attended a writer's conference this weekend where the main speaker was a a gentleman who is both an author and the acquisitions person for a traditional print publisher.

He commented that an author's nonfic manuscript is a perfect fit for an e-book if traditional publishers have said the manuscript is a good idea with potential but the market is too narrow (which is exactly the feedback I am getting from both agents and a few publishers).

I am not foolish enough to think that my manuscript will be the next huge bestseller, but, if I do go in the e-book direction and it does sell well, what do traditional publishers think about a book being an e-book first? I have heard of self-pubbed books that do well enough that a traditional publisher picks it up, but what about for e-books?

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
Speaking from the fiction side of the e-book house, I wouldn't think it any different for an e-book than a self-pubbed paper book. If the book is that good, a publisher might pick it up.

"Might", however, is a pretty hefty word. I have a suspicion that the incidence rate is probably less than one percent. I would send a novel to a reputable e-book publisher for more coverage (and some credibility) rather than e-book it yourself. Not unless you thought you could do a better job selling it, of course.

Kerry

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Commercial publishers ("traditional publisher" is a term coined by one of the scammiest scammers to ever scam a publishing scam) will look at your sales if you decide to self-pub first. If you're able to sell a lot, usually in the neighborhood of 10,000 or more, you'll have a better shot.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you self-publish in e-book format then you might well attract a whole heap of attention. But you also might not. And if you are after a commercial deal then the sales of that e-book edition will directly affect whether or not publishers are going to be interested in putting out a print edition.

If you're absolutely confident that you can sell a whole bunch of copies (and by "whole bunch" I mean at least 5k, and probably more than 10k) then it could be your path to commercial publishing. If you don't sell that many, then it will be a reason for commercial publishers to avoid you: not just for this book, but for your next and your next and your next.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Also, if you sell 5k, but the publishing thinks the potential readership is only 10k, that doesn't leave enough to interest them.

It seem to me that a self-published ebook would work when the publisher didn't know there was a readership, or didn't think your work would interest them--if it was astoundingly successful it could contradict that judgement.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there's no real bias against self-published ebooks. If it sells well, you can get some commercial attention.

Know that they may want you to take down the publication in favor of their own ePub though. That can be a sticking point, actually. Odds are very good they'll want the electronic rights, but odds are very good the electronic rights are putting some food on your table (especially if it's selling well enough to get their attention). That's a cart in front of the horse though.

gracemichael

wondering ...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm still in the 'thinking' stage on this one. Still have some more queries out (and still some to send out), so I'll probably wait until I've exhausted that avenue and then reconsider.

Deleted member 42

I would be very cautious about this; the ebook market is still a file-format nightmare.

I'd give it at least a year and keep doing print queries with reliable-I-can-find-their-books-in-bookstores-in-the-real-world publishers.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Check out this post by Amanda Hocking and read her blog posts. http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,36603.0/topicseen.html
She has done very well self-publishing ebooks, and agents are contacting HER. That's not to say this is the norm -- she's a very good writer. But it's not unheard of.

My bold.

I've read through the link you provided, and I've had a quick look at Ms Hocking's blog, but can't find any information about agents contacting her. Could you point me in the right direction, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.