Do you have a 'comfort' book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy is one of mine, too! Great books. Also Watership Down and the Chronicles of Narnia.

I also have this sociology text that I open at random and read, a book called Distinction by Pierre Bordieu. I had to get a second copy because I was reading the first one in the bathtub and I dropped it.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I have different books for different moods. Depends on the comfort I need. :) Harlan Ellison can get me stoked up and ready to kick ass. Bradbury can get me happy and energetic. Asimov (particularly, Yours, Isaac, his volume of letters) can put me in a thoughtful and fast-writing mood.

I have some novels that inspire me, ranging from American Gods, to dipping in and out of Pratchett novels when I want to relax (they require so little attention, I've read them so many times). And so forth.

One big point of comfort-reading tends to be author interviews. Again, with different authors. Alan Moore, Gene Wolfe, Ellison, Neil Gaiman, etc, etc, inspire and DO comfort, in different directions.

At least for me. :)

Ardellis

tortures make-believe people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
witchingwell.com
The first dozen books in the Wild Cards series, especially the first four.

Any Discworld book with Granny Weatherwax in it.

The Lord of the Rings.

Any collection of Fritz Lieber stories.

Emma Bull's War for the Oaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.