Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
OMG. ROTROTROTROTROTROT.

I'm sure you are aware that I have a veeery large desire to travel to London, right?

So, my school does EF tours every two years opened to the grade eights and nines. This year, the only year open for me, they decoded to travel to LA. Now, it seems exciting, but the previous yet was to New York and Europe, so I thought it was a ware and I didn't sign up. I figured that a trip over across the pond would come up.

And it did. But that's not the problem.

IT'S NOT OPEN FOR ME.

It's open for those a year younger than me, though. They get two opportunities for a trip. My year only gets one.

It's open for my sisters age group as well, and if they let hertake my desired trip to Paris, LONDON, and Rome, I will not speak to them for five thousand, twenty five hundred, six hundred weeks.

ROTROTROTROTROT.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So last night i stayed up all night working on my Senior Thesis. It went from 9 pages to 16ish. Mostly because of pictures and bullshit. So once again another deadline and another miracle, at least this was only the rough draft!

Now tonight i'm going to go to bed like a normal person!!! YAY!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh damn, i'm in work so i dont have the save link handy, but if you type public domain photos on google i'm sure you will find it.

And Good morning everyone! how are your days going

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting here reviewing for the math midterm I have in 2 hours and...about 20 minutes. So my day is going lame.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon Ally! I'm peachy thanks. Just editing myself another book. How about you?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

I HAD AN EPHININY ABOUT UNDERDOGS. NOW I HAVE AN URGE TO WORK ON IT.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
So work on it then! :D

I'm so glad next week is spring break. I have to study for my Japanese midterm for part of it, but other than that I am devoting myself to writing. Well, that and FINALLY playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep because my friend is loaning me his PSP. I think he put an English patch of the Final Mix+ version on there for me even. Next week will be an excellent week.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I want to do an outline using index cards for it.

The walls and floor are dedicated to TMB right now. :( Though I could put them away.

Fantasy seems to be my calling...

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad I wait to use index cards until I'm getting to the revisions stage. They just don't work for me for the first outline.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
They're actually kind of fun. XD

I just feel like I'd be failing if I abandoned Sticks and Stones and TMB just because I wanted to work on something in a different genre, y'know?

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, I'm generally of the belief that genre doesn't really matter in whether an author writes something well or not.

For example, most of the novels of Ari's I know of are fantasy, and they're awesome, and she writes awesome fantasy. But I don't think she's writes good fantasy because it's her calling so much as because the types of stories and characters within the genre of fantasy are the types she's inspired to write about. If Ari had an SNI that had no fantasy whatsoever but she was hugely passionate about the characters and story, I believe she could write that genre just as well.

That... came out differently than I intended. But it's still what I was getting at!

So don't focus on what genre you're writing in, focus on writing a story you love, and most importantly, focus on the WRITING part. :tongue You will be as passionate about Sticks and Stones when you finish it as you were when you had the SNI, and you will be equally anxious to switch stories while writing Underdogs as you are now. It's important to just stay focused and keep writing.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, OK.

ETA: I just need to add: Tally, you've got a point. I'm actually more inspired to write about Isaac/Stephan and Matthew/Carla than Prudence/Connor/Daniel. And no, I don't think outlining has anything to do with this. The other characters just... I LOVE THEM. Even Isaac, who's a right son-of-a-bitch at first.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I actually do have a few contemporaries sitting around that I love working on, ha.

But really, everything Tally said is truth.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon Ally! I'm peachy thanks. Just editing myself another book. How about you?

YAY! That's an awesome business you got going for you. If only i could edit i'd love to read books all day! Seriously your living the dream. Well in all reality anything that wasnt school for me would be a dream come true, but still.

Me i'm ok. Dealing with more shit at school, but after this Friday from hell coming up I get to travel to Will's brother's with him and our friend to go rock climbing!!!

So work on it then! :D

I'm so glad next week is spring break. I have to study for my Japanese midterm for part of it, but other than that I am devoting myself to writing. Well, that and FINALLY playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep because my friend is loaning me his PSP. I think he put an English patch of the Final Mix+ version on there for me even. Next week will be an excellent week.

You have no idea how insanely jealous of you I am right now!!! I have a PSP (which i bought just for that game on ebay) but apparently it was hacked so i couldnt play the game, so i took it to a place to get it fixed, then lost the game in the process!!!

Anyway i even more insanely jealous of you for having the English patch for the Final Mix+. I've been on a like 10 year mission to get all the English Final Mix's!!!!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
OYou have no idea how insanely jealous of you I am right now!!! I have a PSP (which i bought just for that game on ebay) but apparently it was hacked so i couldnt play the game, so i took it to a place to get it fixed, then lost the game in the process!!!

Anyway i even more insanely jealous of you for having the English patch for the Final Mix+. I've been on a like 10 year mission to get all the English Final Mix's!!!!
Oh, that sucks! D:

I'm almost done playing through KH2 FM+ right now. I'm just level-grinding so I can beat all the Absent Silhouettes and then go to the Cavern of Remembrance and take down all the Organization member battles...okay, most. I really don't want to fight Demyx and Axel and Zexion, just because I love them. But then it's just beating Xemnas for the end and that's easy even on Critical Mode.

Do you have a way to play the new one when it comes out? I don't own a 3DS, but I plan to steal my boyfriend's until I'm done with the game.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I'm late in the conversation, but I agree. I'm most comfortable with Horror and Thriller, but (i think) my fantasy was awesome. But then again, i dont really just stick to one genre in any book. All my books are combinations of like 9 different genres. There not really important to me. I wouldn't even label them if i didn't have too.

me and Will just had a argument about what my first book FREAKs is classified as. He thinks it a Psycological Thriller/sci-fi, I think its a urban fantasy/I dont even know what.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 3DS.
I refuse to buy one anytime soon. I want one, yes, but my main concern is that I'm planning to move out in August and the PS3 belongs to me AND my sister so I can't take it with me. Meaning I have to buy another one. So before I worry about a 3DS or even a PSP or the shiny new PS Vita, I require another PS3. At least I'll have my PS2 that is 100% mine already to tide me over.

I'm late in the conversation, but I agree. I'm most comfortable with Horror and Thriller, but (i think) my fantasy was awesome. But then again, i dont really just stick to one genre in any book. All my books are combinations of like 9 different genres. There not really important to me. I wouldn't even label them if i didn't have too.

me and Will just had a argument about what my first book FREAKs is classified as. He thinks it a Psycological Thriller/sci-fi, I think its a urban fantasy/I dont even know what.
As long as you have one firm genre that you can actually place it in when you're pitching it to agents.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
YAY! That's an awesome business you got going for you. If only i could edit i'd love to read books all day! Seriously your living the dream. Well in all reality anything that wasnt school for me would be a dream come true, but still.

Me i'm ok. Dealing with more shit at school, but after this Friday from hell coming up I get to travel to Will's brother's with him and our friend to go rock climbing!!!

It's pretty fun! I have a lot of worries about it, but I'm lucky to be able to do what I enjoy. I've got six months to prove that I can make it as an editor, professionally and financially. Otherwise it's back to job-hunting. :tongue

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that sucks! D:

I'm almost done playing through KH2 FM+ right now. I'm just level-grinding so I can beat all the Absent Silhouettes and then go to the Cavern of Remembrance and take down all the Organization member battles...okay, most. I really don't want to fight Demyx and Axel and Zexion, just because I love them. But then it's just beating Xemnas for the end and that's easy even on Critical Mode.

Do you have a way to play the new one when it comes out? I don't own a 3DS, but I plan to steal my boyfriend's until I'm done with the game.

365/2 days or whatever the numbers are, really did give me a new understanding for Axel, never understood why so many liked him till i played that. Good luck finishing it. I've always wanted FM+ because I just hated how easy KHII was, even on Proud. I finished it in a week and was like "i waited three years for THIS!?"

I've fallen behind in the world of KH. What new one!!!???? I know i feel ashamed to call myself a fan (as i literally sit here wearing a KH shirt and belt) but yeah when i graduate i'm going out on an all out KH spree. I have all the games just no time to play them. My to do list: Play KHI and II and chain of Memories just for the hell of it. Then get back into 365/2 days, then Birth by Sleep, and I got the KH coded game unopened in my room too. GOD I JUST WANT TO GRADUATE SO I CAN PLAY!!! (Ironically as i'm writing all this out what comes on my ipod? simple and clean)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

You could pitch it a lot of different ways, but I'd consider pitching it as a YA science fiction thriller, purely because that stuff is red hot right now. It's got the thriller element and the focus is more science-fiction than paranormal. Although the characters would probably need to be aged up to 15, at least.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I HAVE FIGURED OUT A PLAN.

1. Take down the TMB cards and put them away.
  2. Get my package from Amazon that has my ink, and buy more index cards
  3. Using a print out of Underdogs, start plotting it
  4. Find resources on worldbuilding
  5. Do worldbuilding
  6. Write the rest of Sticks and Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.