The Bent Nail Saloon.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Um. Not sure. All I know is that in 1875 the Boston Red Stockings were the league leaders with a record of 71-8 and the Philadelphia Athletics were 15 games behind. And the once mighty Brooklyn Atlantics came in last.
I'm sure the Detroit...um...somethings must have been in the run for a championship. Much like they will be in, say, 150 years, give or take, depending on what year we're in.

But speaking of the Boston Red Stockings, they really gave a poor accounting of themselves over the last month. You know, our bartender speaks with a slight New England twang. It's possible she knows someone from that area and can explain their dismal demise.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, there are no New York Knickerbocker fans in this thread, are there? Because, you know, I'd have to, sorta, shoot 'em.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, there are no New York Knickerbocker fans in this thread, are there? Because, you know, I'd have to, sorta, shoot 'em.

shootin' just gets you in trouble you know. not a knickerbocker here. undisappointed reds fan. got me a burlap sack with eyeholes for that too. can i get a beer to drown my met expectations?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
shootin' just gets you in trouble you know. not a knickerbocker here. undisappointed reds fan. got me a burlap sack with eyeholes for that too. can i get a beer to drown my met expectations?
Shootin' don't get me in no trouble at all. I'm the Marshall. :D

As fer yer beer, I'd suggest you hep yourself. reg will probably be by sometime tomorrow morning or afternoon. A man can get pretty dry just a waitin' for that. But you gotta respect her mourning fer them Red Stockings. They sucked the soul out of her, they did.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm sure the Detroit...um...somethings must have been in the run for a championship. Much like they will be in, say, 150 years, give or take, depending on what year we're in.

I think you're thinking of the Keokuk Westerns. But they only played 13 games of which they only won one, and basically just threw the $20 admission fee away.

But it doesn't matter, I think the days of the National Association as a major league are numbered. There's rumblings about this thing called the National LEAGUE, if you can imagine.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

But speaking of the Boston Red Stockings, they really gave a poor accounting of themselves over the last month. You know, our bartender speaks with a slight New England twang. It's possible she knows someone from that area and can explain their dismal demise.

I can explain their dismal demise. The General Manager Theo Epstein traded away several good young pitchers over the last few years bringing in older has been pitchers who couldn't pitch their way out of a paper bag. He then followed up those brilliant brain farts by trading away solid hitters and fielders to bring in players who stayed one year and left.

Now thanks to that inept asshat, Terry Fanconia our beloved manager, is leaving. :(

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention Theo's $100 million, yes, $100 million failure by the name of Daisuke Matsuzaka. He won't even make the rank of has been, he's a never was.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me fer sayin' so, Miz reg, but you sound a tad bitter. Kin I buy you a drink? We'll just put it on Ferret's tab.

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
alright, what's going in here?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I will, thank you, Ferret.

WS-flaming-cocktail-by-Alex.jpg

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, he was the least interesting of the Sweathogs. I mean they all had fun catch phrases except him. Well, he had, "Mr. Kotta, I got a note." But what did the note say? Maybe it said the Red Stockings were going to lose.

It might have said that. We'll never be sure though. They were all signed "Epstein's Mother," and I think Gabe Kaplan threw them out. Or at least he would throw them out a hundred or so years from now.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Epstein? Epstein? Wasn't he one of the Sweathogs?

That explains a lot about his General Managerial style and achievements