I'm so lost - help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoJo73

Registered
Reaction score
Website
iampenningmypassions.wordpress.com
My current project is nonfiction, but I can't find a nonfiction thread other than the one in Show Your Work. I looked through a lot of those posts but couldn't find anything specifically about nf queries. Is there a place like that somewhere? Does anyone know off the top of their head? I'd really appreciate a kick in the right direction. Thanks!

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is the nonfiction subforum.

Welcome to Absolute Write.

I'll update this post with a general link in a moment.

Added: Go to the top of this page under the banner ads. Look for the horizontal box (whitish with a blue bar under it) that has your name at the right side. On the right, it will look like this:

......Welcome, HoJo73.
......You last visited: xxxxxxxx at xxxx
......Private Messages: Unread xx, Total xxx

Go to the left side of that box. It will have this:

......Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > FAQs

At the top of any page you are on, you can find a map of the thread breakdown up there. You can always click on the leftmost "Absolute Write Water Cooler" link in that string to go here, which serves as a site map or index of all the subforums.

Last edited:

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nonfiction doesn't have a query process like novels do. [Maybe? See below.] It's a different approach. The terms I see used--though I haven't done it myself--are "proposals" and "pitches."

Here is a sticky that links some of the advice on nonfiction proposals elsewhere on the web:
On Queries and Agents: Information Sources (from the Ask the Agent subforum).

Added:
Well, dang. Then there's this thread, which references both query and proposal for nonfiction:
A couple of questions about my first query and proposal (from the Nonfiction subforum).

I'd post asking for help in the nonfiction section. There is probably a sticky somewhere covering just this, but that's the closest I can do this morning. Best of luck with sorting it out.

Also Added: You are welcome. :)

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You and me both, HoJo. Let's move to AWville!

Maryn, packing

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*grin*

I'm with Maryn, packing.

Deleted member 42

My current project is nonfiction, but I can't find a nonfiction thread other than the one in Show Your Work. I looked through a lot of those posts but couldn't find anything specifically about nf queries. Is there a place like that somewhere? Does anyone know off the top of their head? I'd really appreciate a kick in the right direction. Thanks!

For non-fiction, it really depends on the publisher, and to a lesser extent, on the kind of non-fiction.

A formal proposal is very common. As a starting point, look at the publisher's Web site for information for authors for books sort of like your book.

Different publishers may have slightly different requests; but a synopsis, chapter outline, author bio (indicating why you should write the book/your expertis/connections/sources/research) and sometimes a chapter or five is pretty typical.

Some publishers have specific questions they want answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.