Hello From Eastern Canada!

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Hi everyone. First of all, I am uncomfortable posting introductions, but I'll do my best. :) I tend to be shy on a board until I am comfortable with a few of the members, so if I seem stilted, my apologies.

I am currently an unpublished writer in the romance genre, and writing is as vital to me as breathing. If I'm not actually writing, I'm bouncing ideas around for my current work in progress or other stories I may write in the future.

I live in southwestern Nova Scotia, Canada, and my stories are set within the province. I have featured other locales in my work, but I prefer to go with what I know, and I've lived in this area all of my life.

I've been with the same man for over 22 years, and we've been married for 12 years. I'm a stay at home mother to a child on the autism spectrum, he is currently 9 years old and in grade 3. We have one cat, named Amber, and she loves to sit on top of my computer monitor sometimes.

I have a quirky sense of humor and a positive attitude about life, and I am always looking for the upside of a bad situation. I love music, and have promoted local musicians on my blog, both album and live show reviews. My husband's brothers are in a classic metal band and I try to go to all of their live shows. My musical taste is mostly rock and heavy metal, and I generally stick to listening to that range of genres.

I have two double length manuscripts written currently, and I am trying to get a new story underway. The idea hit me a few days ago, so I'm in the "researching and getting things together for it" stage, and I hope to get into the actual writing soon.

I'm a global moderator in a small forum, an aunt four times over, a Doctor Who and CSI fan, and I also love to read science fiction and CSI novels, when I have time to read. I'm passionate about hockey, I trip over thin air, I am a bit of a computer geek, and tend to ramble if I don't watch myself.

Anyway, that's all I can think of to share with all of you right now. If anyone has any questions, they are welcome to message me. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm on the southern shore of Lake Ontario, practically Canadian myself except for all that water.

You'll find you're in good company here; many who write are reserved, quiet, shy, and such, myself among them.

Maryn, glad you're here

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow Canuck! :)

Check out the Canadian thread. You'll find a lot of us here.

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Thanks Maryn! I've never seen the Great Lakes, except in photos. The furthest west I've been in Canada is western New Brunswick, and in the U.S., western Massachusetts. It's hard to travel when you have a child on the spectrum, so we tend to stick close to home.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, V.J. Allison! :welcome:

I'm sure you'll love it here. AW is a great community, full of awesome people and great advice. No better writing place on the nets than here, imo. It can be a little intimidating at first, but it's definitely worth the effort to acclimate. I've no doubt you'll find your niche in no time!

See you around the boards :)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs, and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary. Also, a little reminder that if you're interested in receiving a critique of your work, there is a 50-post rule (and please don't rush towards that 50).

One last thing--don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Phoebs

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!!
Never been a fan of heavy metal but besides that I think we can be friends.

I'm a hockey fan as well (although a budding one). I grew up on the west coast in an area with little to no hockey--I "discovered" the sport when I went to college and met my best friend, who played hockey for the school and taught me all about it. All I did my freshman year of college (in terms of extracurriculars) was write sports articles for the school newspaper... on hockey. :D

Anyway, pleasure to have you on the boards! Give Amber a welcoming pat as well.

Phoebs

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, and good luck with your romance writing.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Hey welcome. No reason to be shy:)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words! I've been poking around the boards a little, and AW seems like a wonderful place with a lot of friendly people. It feels great to be surrounded by others who know and understand the need to write and create like we do. I remember reading the 50 posts rule, and hopefully by the time I reach that goal, I will be comfortable showing some of my work to all of you. :)

Welcome. What is the land of Evangeline?

The Land of Evangeline is Nova Scotia, Canada, and it's in reference to Longfellow's 1847 epic, "Evangeline, A Tale of Acadie".