• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] The Gernert Company

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I think Anna is taking her own clients now.

She's not on querytracker, but I queried her back in August. She liked my first sample and asked for the next 50 pages. Best response I've had in a while!

Xeni@

Registered
Reaction score
Andy Kifer

Andy Kifer is now taking submissions on his own. He trained with Seth Fishman and Chris Parris-Lamb and he wants literary, genre fiction (especially sci-fi), and nonfiction. If he likes your work he will let you know very quickly (at least that's my experience with him), and he has the support of a truly amazing team.

DPRichard

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Andy Kifer is now taking submissions on his own. He trained with Seth Fishman and Chris Parris-Lamb and he wants literary, genre fiction (especially sci-fi), and nonfiction. If he likes your work he will let you know very quickly (at least that's my experience with him), and he has the support of a truly amazing team.

I queried Seth Fishman with a synopsis and first five pages back on Jan. 2, he seems to average about four weeks on query responses so if I eventually get a no from him I will definitely fire a query off to Mr. Kifer.

Hmmmmm, wonder if Andy ever served on the Caine...... :e2stooges

Xeni@

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Seth Fishman with a synopsis and first five pages back on Jan. 2, he seems to average about four weeks on query responses so if I eventually get a no from him I will definitely fire a query off to Mr. Kifer.

Actually, as far as mutinies go, I'm not 100% sure that you'd pronounce Andy's name Keefer! Would you? :D

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Seth Fishman never responded to my query.

Xeni@

Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy to say that they have officially become my agency! Signing the contract today.

Xeni@

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! :)
But I have to say that doesn't feel as I expected. It feels like it's not real! They sent me a contract to sign, Andy's already working on the manuscript, but I'm so deep into the "expect the rejection mode", that I still keep expecting them to say that they changed their mind.

Kiki17

Registered
Reaction score
Xeni:

Congrats!! I'm new here and loving all the feedback. I also understand Xeni your feelings about being in "rejection mode." Stay possitive!!

Just my two cents here:

Queried Seth Fishman through the automated submission. Never heard back. A month later I sent a hand written note. His assistant responded via email they never received it. I sent it to them and was rejected the same day. I got the feeling Seth didn't read it.

I queried David and 24hrs later I got a request for a full from Will Roberts. I got the feeling he pre-reads ms for David. But he was very sweet!

I'll keep everyone psoted.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who has queried Gernert recently. I've queried two different agents (with appropriate time in between for response) at the info@ email address. Last time around when I was querying, I got an automatic response for each agent I queried. This time, I haven't gotten any automatic responses and I'm querying non-responding agents. Should I just assume they stopped doing the auto-response? Or that my queries aren't going through?

AlisonMcMahan

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to report on a very positive experience with Stephanie Cabot of the Gernert Co. I pitcher her my historical novel at the Historical Novel Society Conference on June 20. She asked for a three chapter sample which I sent about ten days later. Got a personalized and very kind rejection this morning, July 26.

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I think Anna is taking her own clients now.

She's not on querytracker, but I queried her back in August. She liked my first sample and asked for the next 50 pages. Best response I've had in a while!

So, what happened afterward?!

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

Don't leave us hanging! What happened?!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Here's how things turned out with Logan.

I queried on 8/25
Got a partial request on 9/13
Upgraded to a full on 10/4
Nice, personalized rejection on 11/15

She said some very nice things about the manuscript, but had a specific issue with the manuscript that, if it resonated, I could attempt to address and ask if she'd look at a revision, but I don't actually agree with it, so onward. She seems very nice.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Had an interesting experience with Seth Fishman, who is a super nice guy, by the way.

About six months ago, he hosted an agent forum on Goodreads and answered about a hundred questions, including a couple of mine. I mentioned I was from Texas, which he is also, and we kind of hit it off because we both like to write YA thrillers.

Fast forward to Dec. 2013. I told him that I had a new supernatural thriller I would like him to take a look at, and he agreed, saying that he was excited to read it.

A few weeks later, NY Times bestselling author Douglas Preston read the book and emailed me an awesome endorsement, which I forwarded to Mr. Fishman.

He asked me to resend my query, plus the endorsement, to his personal email account, and wanted to know how I pulled off getting an endorsement from Mr. Preston! I told him I just asked!

Anyway, It's been kind of an interesting roller coaster ride - hopefully it will end with an offer. If not, I have other offers, but I'm really impressed with Mr. Fishman so far. He has a good track record and a great attitude.

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
Had an interesting experience with Seth Fishman, who is a super nice guy, by the way.

About six months ago, he hosted an agent forum on Goodreads and answered about a hundred questions, including a couple of mine. I mentioned I was from Texas, which he is also, and we kind of hit it off because we both like to write YA thrillers.

Fast forward to Dec. 2013. I told him that I had a new supernatural thriller I would like him to take a look at, and he agreed, saying that he was excited to read it.

A few weeks later, NY Times bestselling author Douglas Preston read the book and emailed me an awesome endorsement, which I forwarded to Mr. Fishman.

He asked me to resend my query, plus the endorsement, to his personal email account, and wanted to know how I pulled off getting an endorsement from Mr. Preston! I told him I just asked!

Anyway, It's been kind of an interesting roller coaster ride - hopefully it will end with an offer. If not, I have other offers, but I'm really impressed with Mr. Fishman so far. He has a good track record and a great attitude.

VERY AWESOME!
Just wondering how many offers/requests have you gotten popgun?

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I sent a query/first chapter to Ms. Garrison on January 29 and received a request for the first fifty pages today. Since she had already read the first ten pages and didn't throw it across the room, I imagine she likes my writing.

Once again. Fingers crossed.

pisceanreve

Registered
Reaction score
just reviving the thread from March to say that I'm going to try querying Will Roberts, but I can barely find anything on him whilst perusing the interwebz... Though he seems to shy away from Paranormal and Dystopia, which I totally approve of (unless very well-written of course, but I'm extremely picky about those genres).
I'm submitting my YA psychological thriller to him
Well, I suppose I'll update if (hopefully when) I hear some sort of response back...