• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Liza Royce Agency (Liza Fleissig)

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I hear from most people. I think an 8 week exclusive is a lot to ask for when all you get in return is a form R-you're essentially putting your book on hold for two months. How does that benefit the writer exactly?

Did you end up submitting?

RachelBateman

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is crazy old, but I thought I would give my input in case someone comes along researching Liza. So here goes:

I entered Pitch Madness in March, and Liza won the full manuscript request. She read my book in one day, offered rep the next. I had other agent requests for the contest, so I told her I would give her an answer in two weeks, then nudged the other agents. But I knew before the two weeks were up that I wanted to work with Liza - her enthusiasm and love for my book were unrivaled - so I signed with her.

Liza is smart and savvy, and she works fast. My book went from first read to sold in something like six weeks, and will release next spring.

About the exclusives: Liza hires paid readers. Not interns who read and report for her, but paid advisers - former editors, etc. It's a decent expense for her, so she asks for exclusives for a bit of security. It's not ideal for the author, I know, but there's a reason behind it.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Rachel, thank you for weighing in! Very helpful information. And big congrats to you!

PandaNinja

Panda loves ninjas~
Registered
Reaction score
I've looked into this agency because of this thread. I'm thinking about adding it on my list of agents that I will query next month (maybe November, at the latest.)

JustWonderin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just kind of confused how this is a good way to run an agency. I understand she has had success so something about it does work but I truly don't get it. I got the form request as we all do and I emailed her back saying several agents are reading my full right now. She replied, very politely, that she'd pass because too many people have it.

So, bacislly she only wants the MSs no one has wanted to read more of, or I guess you better query her first and wait till she gets around to your MS? Perhaps it'd be better to not request every full from every query?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I have the impressions she wants to know about her competition before spending the money on your book for her readers. If ten people have your full, there's a good chance you'll go with someone else and her money on the readers will have been wasted. If two people have the full, there is a better chance you'll go with her and that she isn't wasting that money. Since she has good sales, her readers are doing well for her.

Meanwhile, anyone have anything recent to add?

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Reviving this thread, to see if there's any new information I should know!

I queried Liza on 4/27/22 about a fantasy MG.

She replied on 5/3/22 that she wasn't interested in fantasy, but that she was familiar with my work and asked if I had anything contemporary I was working on. I sent her quick paragraph summaries of two contemporary novels in my arsenal.

My writing teacher absolutely raved about her, so we'll see what happens. Certainly never been in this position before!

Reactions: hester