YA Book Deals Stats

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the graphs! It's always interesting to see where the trends are leaning.

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
just popping into this thread to say I <3 Kate's charts. fascinating to see the breakdown.

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
Great infographics, btw. (I just tweeted links to them.)

Thanks Melissa! I wondered where the new comments were coming from.

just popping into this thread to say I <3 Kate's charts. fascinating to see the breakdown.

I <3 YOU. :)

I'm working on some new charts re. covers and minority representation (spoiler: the numbers are really, really depressing) -- if anyone has suggestions for cover-related things they'd like to see, let me know.

soopykun

Registered
Reaction score
Echoing my thanks for the stats, Kate!

I'm really looking forward to your next set.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, the cover charts are up if anyone's interested. :)

wow, this is amazing! Interesting that the now PW covers had no POC. Makes you think twice about blaming traditional publishing. Also, sad that black girls have to be turned away or have their faces cut off/smashed up
-______-

The rest is really fascinating, especially the "objects on covers" and the girls who appear dead. Did you make the graphics yourself? Really, awesome job. Thanks!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
wow, this is amazing! Interesting that the now PW covers had no POC. Makes you think twice about blaming traditional publishing. Also, sad that black girls have to be turned away or have their faces cut off/smashed up
-______-

The rest is really fascinating, especially the "objects on covers" and the girls who appear dead. Did you make the graphics yourself? Really, awesome job. Thanks!

Totally thought the same thing. You get a decent profile of the other two, but you can barely see the black girl's face. Then again, I don't know what the story is about so it could be in relation to the story, but still...

I'm going to pretend that it was not done intentionally or even with some sort of twisted subconscious reasoning.

overall, this was a fascinating post, Kate. Thanks! I especially love the color bar graph. Looks very cool. Like I want to print it out and hang it on my wall like art.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
The no-head thing is fascinating and not something I ever paid attention to before. I guess it's so they won't influence what people imagine the characters to look like? Or maybe so it's easier to insert yourself into the MC's head? Weird....

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Love these graphs and information. Thanks for gathering it. :)

And, ugh...POC in books...don't get me started. I hate to be like this, but I feel like middle grade is better at getting it right with POC covers. EX: Rolling Thunder, Hear Me Cry and Bud, Not Buddy, etc.

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
Thanks y'all!

Did you make the graphics yourself? Really, awesome job. Thanks!

I did, yeah, thanks!

And, ugh...POC in books...don't get me started. I hate to be like this, but I feel like middle grade is better at getting it right with POC covers. EX: Rolling Thunder, Hear Me Cry and Bud, Not Buddy, etc.

You might be right-- that would be a really interesting comparison, regardless. Maybe I can talk someone else into doing it. LOL

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Not surprised about the treatment of black girls in the YA industry, and how it manifests on covers. Anyone who watches TV or has seen at least one Western movie should also not be surprised. I'm specifying black girls because of how they're faces, more than other POC covers, seem to be smashed up or obscured in some way.

I'm glad that someone's collecting this info and putting it into charts and graphs that can easily be understood. I wish someone would sit every one in the industry - agents, editors, marketing, pubs, ceos - and force them to look at those POC graphs and tell writers again, with a straight face, that they are totally committed to diversity.

Other than that, this is all very fascinating, if a little (a lot) depressing. But thanks for doing it Kate.

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
Glad y'all liked them! Well, "like" is maybe not the right word. But you know what I mean.

Amazing post, Kate. Thank you for putting this together!

thought process:
"that's weird, someone else has a book named Charm &.... *head desk*"

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I just saw that John Green tweeted a link to this!

You really did a fantastic job on the graphics.

soopykun

Registered
Reaction score
Glad y'all liked them! Well, "like" is maybe not the right word. But you know what I mean.

thought process:
"that's weird, someone else has a book named Charm &.... *head desk*"

I just did this. Feeling very slow today.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Man, I've had three people send me Kate's article because they know I write YA. this one is making quite the rounds. Saw it on Jezebel too