Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25463942

President Yoweri Museveni has not yet signed the law the Ugandan parliament just passed.

It calls for life imprisonment for homosexual acts and prison sentences for anyone who does not report homosexual activity.

Believe it or not, this is the compassionate version. The original draft called for the death penalty for homosexual acts involving a minor or HIV.

In recent years Ugandan politicians, urged on by missionaries from the US, have greatly ramped up scapegoating and persecution of gays. (Links to follow)

A Ugandan newspaper has been criticized for publishing the names and addresses of Ugandan homosexuals.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Some background links. The quoted post below is over two years old. A lot more grim maltreatment of gays has happened in Uganda since then.

I think it's actually about countries like Uganda, which in recent years, egged on by American missionaries, has basically established a genocidal pogrom against gays and lesbians.

EDIT: As requested, some references for my strongly-worded post. They are scary reading:

A full report: The U.S. Christian Right and the Attack on Gays in Africa, by Kapya Kaoma

Americans’ Role Seen in Uganda Anti-Gay Push (New York Times, January 3, 2010)

Anti-imperialism as a hand-washing strategy (The Economist, March 11, 2010)

Exporting Homophobia: American far-right conservative churches establish influence on anti-gay policy in Africa, by Jody May-Chang (Boise Weekly, September 8,2010)

Outcry as Ugandan paper names 'top homosexuals', by Simon Akam (the Independent, October 22, 2010)

Targeted Ugandan Gay Activist Murdered, by Nancy Goldstein (The Nation, January 27, 2011)

(The three American missionaries who gave the seminars in Uganda in March of 2009 were Scott Live1y, Ca1eb Lee Brundidge, and Don Schm1erer)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I can't understand what the Americans pushing their 'export' are getting out of it. Their own country is making leaps and bounds in LGBT equality, but as long as gay people are being persecuted somewhere in the world, they can sleep at night?

It must be agony to be that full with hatred.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I can answer that in two words. Power and Money. Africa offers both in abundance. Think of it as economic colonialism.

I can't understand what the Americans pushing their 'export' are getting out of it. Their own country is making leaps and bounds in LGBT equality, but as long as gay people are being persecuted somewhere in the world, they can sleep at night?

It must be agony to be that full with hatred.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I've done foreign missionary work. And the senior missionaries in the field told me quite sternly that the worst thing any missionary can do is to stick their fingers into the pie of local or regional or even national politics of their assigned nation. The senior missionaries I worked under adhered to a pretty stringent protocol of keeping a separation of church & state in their endeavors. They told me ghastly tales of truly destructive mistakes made over the previous 150 years of other missionaries (tales of misguided American and British missionaries from multiple denominations spread across many targeted/assigned nations) whenever a missionary becomes a politician. It's practically a Prime Directive for a lot of modern missionaries to stay the hell out of meddling with the law in their assigned nations. It just never ends well.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least Uganda has advanced in the three or four decades since the dictatorship of Idi Amin. He'd have had homsexuals barbecued.

As for the American evangelicals, they are nearly all blatant homophobes, and have a significant following in the U.S. You only need to look at the current uproar about the comments by Duck Dynasty "star" Phil Robertson to see a good example of that.

caw

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Well, at least Uganda has advanced in the three or four decades since the dictatorship of Idi Amin. He'd have had homsexuals barbecued.

As for the American evangelicals, they are nearly all blatant homophobes, and have a significant following in the U.S. You only need to look at the current uproar about the comments by Duck Dynasty "star" Phil Robertson to see a good example of that.

caw

I know a number of evangelicals, and I cannot agree with your assessment. As with any large group of people, there are a diversity of opinions and attitudes among them.

If you are speaking specifically of the three men who have been steering Uganda's anti-gay pogrom, I do not know how much, if any, following they have in the US.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I know a number of evangelicals, and I cannot agree with your assessment. As with any large group of people, there are a diversity of opinions and attitudes among them.

If you are speaking specifically of the three men who have been steering Uganda's anti-gay pogrom, I do not know how much, if any, following they have in the US.

Wasn't one of the main perps (Lou Engle?) in that Jesus Camp documentary from a few years ago? He had something of a following back then.

gdossetto

Registered
Reaction score
Funny how big government shits on the rights of minorities. Don't know why people would expect Uganda to act different than the Chinese, the Russians, the Cubans, etc.

Funny why homosexuals vote Democrat automatically. As soon as the Dems can create a permanent majority without gays, they'd turn on them in a heartbeat to appease other constituencies.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Funny why homosexuals vote Democrat automatically.

Well, that's demonstrably not true. But then, blanket statements rarely are.

caw

Phil Robertson is an evangelical? I thought he was just yet another "reality TV" star. Then again, Tilton, Swaggert, Pat Robertson, Jim Bakker, Focus on the Family... Their exploits and hypocrisy should certainly qualify as "reality TV."