[Critique Game] Post The First Three Sentences of your Short Story

Geoffrey Fowler

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying your position. That was necessary because given the widespread aversion to long sentences today, when someone says a sentence is too long, it is natural to assume they mean too long, per se.

So now I know you feel the sentences could have conveyed the same information with fewer words. I'm not sure, however, you understood that what I was doing with these sentences was describing the ritual that takes place between the entrance of a conductor into a concert hall and his ascent to the podium. This includes a detour to the violin section with the conductor greeting the concertmaster, or, in this case, the concertmistress, and a few bows before going to the podium. Normally, greeting the concertmistress would be a very cordial affair accompanied by smiles and handshakes. In my story, however, something was amiss and conveying this to the reader was absolutely crucial for preparing the way for what happens in the next paragraph, which, of course, you haven't seen. If you believe in show, don't tell, you may appreciate what I was doing

Given my intentions, I think the three sentences did their job fairly efficiently, for example, I wanted to say that the conductor was a famous one and I worked that in as he approached the podium. A lot of the things you may have thought were excess baggage were actually essential to the story. Of course, not knowing what the story is about, there is no way you could be aware of this. The bottom line is that this entire exercise is absurd: it is impossible to judge a story by its first three lines. I will never participate in anything so silly and futile again.

P.S.: I never stated that in the past I have received feedback stating that my sentences are too long, either relative to there function in a piece or in the absolute sense. Inventing or insinuating facts undermines one's credibility and should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited:

sublunam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sublunam.wordpress.com
So, here's an opening I'm not sure about:

They were hunting woman.
The ship cruised low over the rim of the planet’s atmosphere, harvesting data through the slim probe that protruded from below. Inside sat six human beings: three alphas, two betas, and a zeta.

Is the first line just too sleazy? I wrote the story in a kind of therapeutic outburst last week. It's supposed to be a (possibly overdone) critique of misogyny. So sleazy is not exactly what I'm going for, but I am trying to set a tone for how these characters think about 'woman'.

Critical feedback :welcome:
Thanks!
jlw

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score

They were hunting woman.
The ship cruised low over the rim of the planet’s atmosphere, harvesting data through the slim probe that protruded from below. Inside sat six human beings: three alphas, two betas, and a zeta.

Is the first line just too sleazy? I wrote the story in a kind of therapeutic outburst last week. It's supposed to be a (possibly overdone) critique of misogyny. So sleazy is not exactly what I'm going for, but I am trying to set a tone for how these characters think about 'woman'.

Thanks!
jlw

Is that supposed to read "women", or "a woman" ?

I would read on. I know some people aren't a fan of stories that start with one line, but I've always liked them when they throw you right into the conflict/stakes. It's like the story starts up close, zooms out a little, then zooms back in. I think you could leave out the "beings" part and just refer to them as humans, though.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
. I'm not sure, however, you understood that what I was doing with these sentences was describing the ritual that takes place between the entrance of a conductor into a concert hall and his ascent to the podium. .

I understand what you were trying to do, but trying to do something and doing it are not the same thing. For me it failed, and again, your writing has to stand on its own. As a writer you're not afforded the luxury of getting to over-explain everything. I won't debate this any longer. If you're not willing to hear feedback then the critiquing/SYW process won't be helpful to you in the least. But hey, that's your prerogative.

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
They were hunting woman.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the writing, though the stated context would probably have me not read on. It doesn't exactly sound like a story I'm interested in reading.

Geoffrey Fowler

Registered
Reaction score
I understand what you were trying to do.

As I've already said, there is no possible way you can understand what I was trying to do without reading the subsequent sentences. Therefore saying "For me it failed, and again, your writing has to stand on its own" makes no more sense than your assertion that the sentences were "too long," an assertion you never backed up. It's one thing trying to critque something, but trying to do something and doing it are not the same thing. You are out of your depth, it's that simple. And once more, the whole idea of critquing the first three sentences of a story is ludicrous; I was foolish to get involved with the nonsense.

Last edited:

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score

They were hunting woman.
I also tripped up on the woman/women thing. Your explanation makes sense, but my first instinct was that it should be plural. It wasn't enough to keep me from the next sentence, however. Just a little hiccup.
The ship cruised low over the rim of the planet’s atmosphere, harvesting data through the slim probe that protruded from below. I have to ask: was this image intentional? ;) Inside sat six human beings: three alphas, two betas, and a zeta. It may be overdone, but I'd read on for a bit more to see where you were headed with the story.

Thanks!
jlw

It's a nice, solid start. It would definitely make me cock my head if I found it in the wild, but I'd still want to see where you were going with it.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, LittlePinto. That's super helpful. Nope, there was unintended imagery in there. Back to the drawing-board, I think!

Really? I just wanted to know if the imagery was intentional because it was spot-on with what I thought you were going for with respect to tone. It might be something people pick up on subconsciously that makes the story a little more overt than what you were going for, however.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
And once more, the whole idea of critquing the first three sentences of a story is ludicrous.

Then don't post on a board where the idea is to critique the first three sentences of a story? :^)

oooh, popcorn--share!

Thanks, LittlePinto. That's super helpful. Nope, there was unintended imagery in there. Back to the drawing-board, I think!

I thought the image was intentional and it made me chuckle--does it fit into the larger story? Because if it does it might actually work where it is!

sublunam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sublunam.wordpress.com
Really? I just wanted to know if the imagery was intentional because it was spot-on with what I thought you were going for with respect to tone. It might be something people pick up on subconsciously that makes the story a little more overt than what you were going for, however.

Haha. I think it was written as subconsciously as it might be read :rolleyes:

And I say back to the drawing-board because you all are doing a great job of confirming some of the hesitation I had about the opening. I think there *is* something there, but I also need to tone it down.

Thanks again!
jlw

sublunam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sublunam.wordpress.com
I thought the image was intentional and it made me chuckle--does it fit into the larger story? Because if it does it might actually work where it is!

Hmm. Okay, now y'all are making me hesitate. I'll keep working at it!
jlw

PS – I want popcorn too!

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Okay, now y'all are making me hesitate. I'll keep working at it!
jlw

PS – I want popcorn too!

That's the beauty of having other eyes. Sometimes they find things in your writing that you didn't even know were there!

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
REVISED BELOW IN POST #620: Part 2 of what I'm hoping can be developed into a twelve part middle grade serial. Tentative title: CONTEST. Genre is urban fantasy. First three lines below.

The granddaughter of the most powerful witch in the world held up a drawing of an emerald ring.

“Now we’re engaged,” five-year-old Jong Eun-Yul announced.

Kim Do-Hyun’s eyes opened wide in surprise.

Last edited:

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
The granddaughter of the most powerful witch in the world held up a drawing of an emerald ring.

I'm intrigued by the first line, and the second is definitely my favorite. It made me like the granddaughter instantly. This just boils down to personal taste, but is there maybe a stronger or more colorful description of surprise you could use in the third line, though? The first two have such a unique voice to them that the third seems a bit weaker. But I would definitely read on!

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Part 2 of what I'm hoping can be developed into a twelve part middle grade serial. Tentative title: CONTEST. Genre is urban fantasy. First three lines below.

Third line feels a little cliche, but certainly fits the previous two lines. :) I'd read on.

ETA: And by "fits" I mean that it's a legitimate response, not that the first two lines are cliche.

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
FIRST REVISION: Thanks for the comments! I'll post the first 200 soon in the science fiction/fantasy thread. Unfortunately, the third line still lands with a thud, but I did make a few other changes.

Middle grade urban fantasy short fiction. Title: SONG-E. Projected length: 3000 words.

“Now we’re engaged,” Jong Eun-Yul announced.

Lee Jun-ho leaned back in the yellow chair.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
FIRST REVISION: Thanks for the comments! I'll post the first 200 soon in the science fiction/fantasy thread. Unfortunately, the third line still lands with a thud, but I did make a few other changes.

Middle grade urban fantasy short fiction. Title: SONG-E. Projected length: 3000 words.

“Now we’re engaged,” Jong Eun-Yul announced.

Lee Jun-ho leaned back in the yellow chair.

I think maybe you're feeling that thud in your third line is because the one that precedes it is also short and simple? I think since your first two lines aren't too long, you have room in the third to add a descriptor that might convey a stronger reaction. "Lee Jun-Ho leaned back in the yellow chair, his/her eyes widening, mouth opening and closing even as no sound came out" or "Lee Jun-Ho leaned back in the chair so sharply that it rocked back on its feet"

If that makes sense? Just something that is more up close and personal, with a bit more...oopmh there? I don't even know if my feedback is making sense :tongue: how do I words.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
If that makes sense? Just something that is more up close and personal, with a bit more...oopmh there? I don't even know if my feedback is making sense :tongue: how do I words.

I words you good!

IMO, the first three lines here are a good hook and introduction to the character, but very bare-bones in terms of description. I kinda feel like Jong Eun-Yul's announcement needs to be qualified somehow (...Jong announced with childish glee... Jong announced solemnly... Jong announced with a wicked grin)

Also, the leaning could have several different meanings. I picture an older character leaning back in a contemplative manner, perhaps a deep sigh of annoyance growing deep in his chest. But it could be leaning back away from the drawing of the ring as if the drawing is a viper that might bite him if he lets it touch him.

A little clarification on the action here might clear up the thuddiness (totes a word, you guys) of sentence #3.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks, Sockycat, LittlePinto, and Urban Spaceman, for the comments! If you're interested in seeing the first 200, it's in the YA sub-section in the other forum.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm attempting a SF story for the first time in my life, and since writing it is so out of my comfort zone, I figured it might be wise to throw the first three up in here and see what people think. The title will be "The Nompers"

Here we go (gulp):

The trouble started when the spokesman for ICRML—the Intergalactic Council for Resettlement of Misplaced Lifeforms—turned to the assembly and asked “Now, are there any opposed to the humankind resettlement plan?”

Objections exploded throughout the room.

Representatives and community members from nearly thirty planets had gathered, some lounging in the mediocre metal chairs that had been stuffed into the black-tiled room, others standing shoulder to fin.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I'm attempting a SF story for the first time in my life, and since writing it is so out of my comfort zone, I figured it might be wise to throw the first three up in here and see what people think. The title will be "The Nompers"

Here we go (gulp):

The trouble started when the spokesman for ICRML—the Intergalactic Council for Resettlement of Misplaced Lifeforms--ha, this makes me think of the island of misfit toys...turned to the assembly and asked, “Now, are there any opposed to the humankind resettlement plan?" Meh, can you find a synonym for resettlement so you don't repeat it, or better yet, something that intrigues us about the plan for the poor hapless humans? Is this the first time? Did we do something super bad to Earth? Oh, and hey, is the spokesman human, humanoid, other? I.e. Does he have tentacles or scales or something to solidify some picture in my head?

Objections exploded throughout the room. This doesn't have as much impact for me because I don't have the context for why there would be objections.

Representatives and community members from nearly thirty planets had gathered, some lounging in the mediocre metal chairs that had been stuffed into the black-tiled room, others standing shoulder to fin.

First, I love your title. I have no idea what it means, but you'd catch my eye with that alone.

I think you need to dig a little deeper into the meat here in order to set the hook for your story. There's a cool concept in here, but it's kinda buried under ok vague. The writing's sound. Just needs a little more...something.

Sorry, that's all I got. :Shrug: