Jackpine Mine Debacle

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to keep the thread title simple because trying to provide light to it with anything more complex obscures it. The Federal Government has approved the Shell's Jackpine Mine Project last week and the approval is having some troubling notes, including a lack of a sufficient remediation plan and great uncertainties on the mitigation of the environmental impacts of the project. Having the questions remain so open and then having approval is raising serious questions, especially to the people who will be directly affected, the Athabasca Chipewyan FN.

There is a reason why there lay so many of these uncertainties. The land is marshland, and with the tributaries running through the land is inconducive to storage of grey-water. The land mined is much smaller than the area of the land that is to be affected by the project which makes remediation more difficult. Mitigating environmental harm to the surrounding land is much more difficult task on the land proposed than in other locations where the land is less saturated with water.

Furthermore, consultation with First Nations on this issue, especially with the Athabasca Chipewyan, have been a bit evasive. The Federal Government has skirted their duties to consult with them and to seek possible solutions to the problem as they arose or became evident. Failing to do so puts them in the same danger as the New Brunswick found itself with Elsipogtog FN.

Which brings us to the modus operandi of Harper and his signing off on projects without the due process warranted by the riskier projects. Harper has marketed himself as being sound on the economy, but for the most part that is all he has sold himself on. Of course, this completely ignores the social and human impacts that this is causing. It is not too dissimilar from giving the accountant the reins of a company, someone who has no experience with meeting the needs of the customer, or even the personnel in the company really.

Chief Allan Adam is now having to do the unnecessary to bring about the necessary, taking this to the courts. Unlike the folks at Rexton, there is a good chance that this case does not get dismissed by the courts and we will eventually need the Supreme Court of Canada to make a decision.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Does Harper have indirect connection to the mining company or is he just looking at the money and thinking it will take some pressure off?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Does Harper have indirect connection to the mining company or is he just looking at the money and thinking it will take some pressure off?

He is likely looking at the money (19 billion in taxes. . . potentially!) and the jobs that will be created (but not for FN! You need training which means you need education which means we need to actually fund the FN schools.)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Woh. That's a lot of money. That's going to be hard to defeat on environmental grounds. (ETA: or First Nation rights)

Not that I don't agree it should be but I can see that will be a tough fight.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Off topic, I know, but related to the conundrum. There is rumours that Neil Young is trying to get a "Honour the Treaties" concert going. If it is successful as the anti-Apartheid concerts were (thinking Young may have been inspired by Mandela's passing,) some suspected acts that might be playing: Glass Tiger, A Tribe Called Red, um. . . um. . . need to jog my memory again on other acts out there.

Edit: Nope, it is directly related. Neil Young is hosting a concert to raise funds for the Athabasca Chipewyan. Will be joined by Diana Krall.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/12/09/neil-young-to-play-benefit-concerts/3915589/

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Are they big in Canada? Or was that sarcasm?

Glass Tiger had a few number one hits in the 80s and they still hold concerts. One of their hits was the song "Diamond Suns" which they released after the Oka Crisis.

A Tribe Called Red is climbing the Canadian charts right now.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah. Hadn't heard of them so thought I'd check.

Will the concert make a difference?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. Hadn't heard of them so thought I'd check.

Will the concert make a difference?

The concert is there to help cover the legal costs of the Athabasca Chipewyan in the lawsuit before them. This is not as big as I was thinking, but it might catch fire.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I hope so. And maybe it might inspire people to help out themselves. To fight that much money is going take a massive public movement.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So Neil Young's tour is on, for any of those following. Right now the PMO and Neil Young are exchanging words -- to put it mildly -- after holding the first concert.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/neil-young-responds-to-pmo-s-defence-of-oilsands-1.2494950

In response to a CBC News query about Young's tour, PMO spokesman Jason MacDonald defended Canada's natural resource sector, saying it is a fundamental part of the country's economy, and then made sly reference to Young's "rock star" lifestyle.

"Our issue is not whether the natural resource sector is a fundamental part of the country, our issue is with the government breaking treaties with the First Nation and plundering the natural resources the First Nation has rights to under the treaties," the statement said.

It also takes aim at MacDonald's assertion that "even the lifestyle of a rock star relies, to some degree, on the resources developed by thousands of hard-working Canadians every day."

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
And of course, Rex needs to hang 'em up.

Don't know which is worse, him playing the "benevolent government" schtick in response to the Elsipogtog dustup, or the "unfair!" whine in this one.

Turning to the papers, because its kind of fun to take a survey and contrast regions. In this case, I'm only going to do Alberta and Ontario because I think there is an interesting, perhaps surprising contrast.

Papers from Ontario:

Of course, one can guess the National Post's tack on this. Globe & Mail has it's own take, urging nuance. Other articles are standing away. Meanwhile, the Toronto Star continues to take on the opposing position of the National Post.

The Ottawa Citizen did not run any opinions on the issue specifically, though it did run some opinion pieces on issues tangentially related, especially on the transportation of crude oil and the legacy of John A. MacDonald.

Papers from Alberta:

Edmonton Journal has a strong voice of support on its editorial board. The Edmonton Sun didn't run any opinions in their newspapers, instead giving another diatribe against the concept of Climate Change.

Calgary Herald's editorial board is splitting it. The Calgary Sun is doing the same as the Edmonton Sun.