What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Alexandra Ad0rnetto's HAL0. Thus far I've trudged through 20,000+ words of nothing happening. Still, at least the lack of plot leaves time for loving descriptions of supernaturally beautiful people. :rolleyes:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Also, it bugs me that all teenage girls are portrayed as universally, single-mindedly obsessed with lip gloss and gossip to the exclusion of all else. Hello? There are girls who are full-time carers for their sick parents. Girls who run marathons to raise money for charity. Girls who spend all their spare time studying. Teenage girls are artists and athletes and volunteers and academics. Painting them all as shallow caricatures really grates.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of decided to ignore Halo, because Adornetto's opinion pieces for some Aussie newspapers always completely grated against my idea of feminism (she wrote one about virginity being a gift, and one about how teenage boys can't possibly measure up to Edward Cullen, who is her idea of the perfect boyfriend). I worried that this weird attitude about what women/girls want might carry over into her book...seems like I wasn't too far off with that assumption?

(Do tell me if I'm wrong, though. I don't want to read the book if it will just make me angry, but I am kind of curious about Halo).

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
I actually liked Red Blood Road.
Just finished Enclave by Ann Aquirre (pretty good) and I'm starting Glass House by Rachel Caine. Good so far.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of decided to ignore Halo, because Adornetto's opinion pieces for some Aussie newspapers always completely grated against my idea of feminism (she wrote one about virginity being a gift, and one about how teenage boys can't possibly measure up to Edward Cullen, who is her idea of the perfect boyfriend). I worried that this weird attitude about what women/girls want might carry over into her book...seems like I wasn't too far off with that assumption?

(Do tell me if I'm wrong, though. I don't want to read the book if it will just make me angry, but I am kind of curious about Halo).

Ugh. I mean, I'm not a Twi-hater, but virginity is a gift that should only be given to Edward Cullen? "You'll be married, dear. That's the important thing. It doesn't matter that sex with Edward will leave you battered and bruised, or worse, crushed to dust and drained of blood. You'll die a married woman. Take comfort in that." :rolleyes:

Remind me not to read her books, okay?

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I mean, I'm not a Twi-hater, but virginity is a gift that should only be given to Edward Cullen? "You'll be married, dear. That's the important thing. It doesn't matter that sex with Edward will leave you battered and bruised, or worse, crushed to dust and drained of blood. You'll die a married woman. Take comfort in that." :rolleyes:

Remind me not to read her books, okay?

Haha, you guys have me wondering if I should take this one off my TBR list. I have my name on the reserve list - like #2 or something. :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't encountered any gender and sexuality weirdness yet. So far it's just the usual: characterless protagonist, designated love interest, physical perfection lovingly described.

There is a lot of weird religious stuff though. Characters have whole conversations designed to push religion at the reader. Example:

“The congregation is growing,” he observed one day. “Every week, I see new faces.”
“Maybe people are starting to realize what’s important in life,” Ivy said.
“Or maybe they are following your example.” Father Mel smiled.
“The Church should need no advocates,” Gabriel said. “It should speak for itself.”
“It doesn’t matter what brings people here,” said Father Mel. “It only matters what they find here.”
“All we can do is lead them in the right direction,” Ivy agreed.
“Indeed, we cannot force them to have faith,” Father Mel said. “But we can demonstrate its great power.”
“And we can pray for them,” I said.
:rolleyes:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
ask;f! She has fantasies of being held captive on a pirate ship so that her love interest can rescue her. Gah.

edit: And now he's physically carrying her around. I take it back, this is full of weird gender bullshit.

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
About 200 pages into Torment, the sequel to Fallen, which I liked okay but only okay--just enough to see where it went next. This one so far is LOADS better than the last! Somewhere between the Love At First Sight nonsense that ended the first book, and Luce being forcefully enrolled into a secluded, highly privileged school for her "protection" in this one, she's actually grown a backbone. She's starting to ask questions about her designated love interest--questions like, "Hang on, how did I become so dependent on him so fast? That's a bit scary." And "Who does he think he is, giving me all these rules and then abandoning me without telling me what's going on?" And "About all these past lives we allegedly had together, what exactly went on that he remembers it all and I don't? What is our 'relationship' really about?" So she's acting more proactive and trying to figure out what her fallen-angel-boyfriend's not telling her whether he likes it or not. I am legitimately loving it!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Esmeralda:
I actually liked Red Blood Road.

Fair enough, I suspect that I am in a minority in my opinion on it judging from the critical reviews I've read over the last few weeks and the fact that The Sunday Times put it in their top summer reads for 2011.

MM

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
About 200 pages into Torment, the sequel to Fallen, which I liked okay but only okay--just enough to see where it went next. This one so far is LOADS better than the last! Somewhere between the Love At First Sight nonsense that ended the first book, and Luce being forcefully enrolled into a secluded, highly privileged school for her "protection" in this one, she's actually grown a backbone. She's starting to ask questions about her designated love interest--questions like, "Hang on, how did I become so dependent on him so fast? That's a bit scary." And "Who does he think he is, giving me all these rules and then abandoning me without telling me what's going on?" And "About all these past lives we allegedly had together, what exactly went on that he remembers it all and I don't? What is our 'relationship' really about?" So she's acting more proactive and trying to figure out what her fallen-angel-boyfriend's not telling her whether he likes it or not. I am legitimately loving it!

I have that one on my nightstand and have been purposely avoiding it because I didn't like Fallen so much. Maybe I should try it!

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished MAGIC UNDER GLASS by Jaclyn Dolamore and I absolutely loved it. Her characters are well drawn; Erris was probably the least distinct of everybody, but I can't really blame that on the writing since his own situation hampers him in that regard. Nimira's interactions with him do go a long way toward helping the reader become fond of him, so that was a nice touch.

I've just now begun BEWITCHING SEASON, which I have been hunting after for months now; no shops in my area seem to carry it, but it finally came back to the library, so I got it! 10 pages in and I am liking it already.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I'm reading Ghost Town by Rachel Caine, book nine in the Morganville Vampires. But what makes it super excited (cause the book so far isn't lol) is I'm reading it on my new KINDLE! Squee! So far I love it! The Kindle that is, not the book :)

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
My beautiful collection showed up today--City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels and Clockwork Angel. So I'll be getting started on those later. Have to re-read the first two so I can progress.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Haven't encountered any gender and sexuality weirdness yet. So far it's just the usual: characterless protagonist, designated love interest, physical perfection lovingly described.

There is a lot of weird religious stuff though. Characters have whole conversations designed to push religion at the reader. Example:

:rolleyes:

Apparently talking heads aren't the only problem in this one. I have it in my pile for review and I'm a little wary now. I half remember the article she wrote and the rage she incited in some people for it. I'll definitely pounce on the preach if it's really bad. The last thing anyone needs in a work of non-Christian fiction is to be preached at and moralized cloaked under a flimsy plot.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Parametric said:
I'm reading Alexandra Ad0rnetto's HAL0. Thus far I've trudged through 20,000+ words of nothing happening. Still, at least the lack of plot leaves time for loving descriptions of supernaturally beautiful people.

I've had HALO on my bookshelf for half a year (received a free copy) and I've been weary of reading it so I haven't. This just strengthens my resolve. *resists pretty cover*

I just finished WHERE SHE WENT, the sequel to IF I STAY. It read a bit like a very long epilogue, but it's about the most clearly cut example of New Adult I've read. The characters are 20/21 and college graduates/already on career paths, yet it's sold as YA. I know there's been a lot of discussion about NA on this board, and this book gives me hope for NA.

Also read WITHER (terrible world building, interesting sister wive dynamics SPOILER: and unbelievable/ cop-outish that MC didn't sleep with him when she was kidnapped FOR HER WOMB), and TWENTY BOY SUMMER (really good contemporary).

Last edited:

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Bones of Faery by Janni Lee Simner and running out of YA faerie fantasy to read. (I still have Maggie Stiefvater's second book and Aprillynne Pike's last book, but that's it.)

trolly dei

I'm in love with everything!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leeftappynix.blogspot.com
I put Kristin Cashore's Fire on hold at the library weeks ago. It's finally ready for me to pick up, but when I got to the library today, it was closed. For no apparent reason. Epic let-down.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com

After finishing Torment a while ago, I'm still on the fence about the whole series, however, I do agree I did like that Luce as you said "grew a back bone."
I'm putting the third one, just came out a few weeks ago on my to read list...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.