• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Hillgate, do stay where you are, please don't get back in the cage yet :) For now at least.

I agree agents should think like that but that's not the way it appears. Are you familiar with agents in the UK? Is there an equivalent to Publishers Marketplace in the UK? I am thinking of writing to Maggie McKernan for my memoir. I will try the US agents first because I think my memoir has a better chance in the US but the UK may be an approach to consider especially as I'm from a Commonwealth country.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Hillgate, do stay where you are, please don't get back in the cage yet :) For now at least.

I agree agents should think like that but that's not the way it appears. Are you familiar with agents in the UK? Is there an equivalent to Publishers Marketplace in the UK? I am thinking of writing to Maggie McKernan for my memoir. I will try the US agents first because I think my memoir has a better chance in the US but the UK may be an approach to consider especially as I'm from a Commonwealth country.

Okay - they they let me back in the play area.

IMHO most agents are trying to be something else. They either want to be writers, directors, producers or even actors. This doesn't fill me with confidence, generally.

I do know a few of the agencies in the UK. There are good and bad people in each of the mid to large agencies. Laziness is a common trait in the bad. If it's a memoir, you might want to add as many juicy bits as you can before submitting to the UK. Are you famous? If you are, then I'm sure someone will take you on. If not, good luck!! It doesn't just have to be good writing: it's got to be extremely sellable to work in the UK, generally. :Hug2:

sanssouci

Registered
Reaction score
I read on Query Tracker that Merrilee Heifetz's assistant Jennifer Escott is leaving the business. I know Merrilee used to accept email queries through Jennifer. Do you guys know if she has a new assistant?

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I read on Query Tracker that Merrilee Heifetz's assistant Jennifer Escott is leaving the business. I know Merrilee used to accept email queries through Jennifer. Do you guys know if she has a new assistant?
She does have a new assistant, but I don't know if she takes email queries. I queried via snail mail and got a full request via email, FWIW.

sanssouci

Registered
Reaction score
She does have a new assistant, but I don't know if she takes email queries. I queried via snail mail and got a full request via email, FWIW.

Thanks, ink wench. Best of luck with the full. That's so exciting!!!!!

Anonymity

Registered
Reaction score
What's her new assistant's name— if it's not too much to ask.

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Equeried Jodi Reamer on 8th February. Standard rejection email received from her assistant on 18th March.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting on a partial from Jodi.

E-queried (my query "flub" I was crying about) 2/2
Request for partial from A. Shane 3/4

YA Sci-Fi

Creole Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Daniel Lazar on 3/21 and received standard rejection email from his assistant Stephen on 3/23.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Daniel Lazar on 3/21 and received standard rejection email from his assistant Stephen on 3/23.

Daniel's a good guy in that he's very quick to do a turnaround.

Last edited:

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
Ink- Congrats on the request for a full!
Cyia- I'm sorry about the r, but you must have something great if it was given a second glance ;)

TexGal

The traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Found this site researching Jodi Reamer.
Sent snail-mail query on 4-1-11.
Will post any response and response time.
Good luck to everyone.

caitief

Registered
Reaction score
Some advice on submitting to Writers House from someone who interned there.

Don't just send to "Submissions". Do your research and send it to the right person.

If they don't say that they accept email queries, you can send, but know it may not even get to the assistant depending on how the run their office. While snail mail is annoying, it is the fastest way to get someone to read your query. They may leave unread emails in their inbox, but mail gets opened and read the day it comes in!

Good luck to all querying!

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Some advice on submitting to Writers House from someone who interned there.

Don't just send to "Submissions". Do your research and send it to the right person.

If they don't say that they accept email queries, you can send, but know it may not even get to the assistant depending on how the run their office. While snail mail is annoying, it is the fastest way to get someone to read your query. They may leave unread emails in their inbox, but mail gets opened and read the day it comes in!

Good luck to all querying!

Thanks!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! Have any of you heard from Steve Malk lately? I queried him on 4/20. That's not a particularly long wait time, but he tends to be very quick, and I found out recently that some of my e-mails last week didn't go through.

I'm paranoid, I know. But he was awesome when I submitted a full last year, so he's at the top of my list.

Javielito

Registered
Reaction score
near a deep sea shrimp and a blackdevil angler fis
Hello, just a questions about this super company:

1- Does
Josh Getzler still works for Writers House?

2- What agent covers the military/fiction genre? In 1000literaryagents I didn't find any with that genre.

3- Do all agents there want a 2-page query letter?

4- Which one of them allows multiple submissions?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, just a questions about this super company:

1- Does
Josh Getzler still works for Writers House? no

2- What agent covers the military/fiction genre? In 1000literaryagents I didn't find any with that genre. you'll probably have to put it into contemporary/mainstream/fantasy/ etc (depending on the elements of your story)

3- Do all agents there want a 2-page query letter? No agent wants a 2 page query letter. Less than one page, around 300-350 words.

4- Which one of them allows multiple submissions? None. It's a very clearly stated agency policy that you query one agent at the agency at a time. If you're rejected, you can try another agent.

Thanks in advance

Have you even checked for any of these answers? They're all easily found. Use QueryTracker and AgentQuery rather than 100literaryAgents. They're more detailed and accurate.

Javielito

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Cya, thanks a lot for answer the questions to this newby! :) Now I am using querytracker.net and agentquery, thanks.

But... I'm confused. I still have a doubt for my number 3: I went to Writers House, and they say in Submissions the following:

"Please send us a query letter of no more than two pages, which includes your credentials, an explanation of what makes your book unique and special, and a synopsis."

To my understanding, they seem to be asking a query letter of no more two pages (front only), so the maximum are two pages to write what they want.

I know that the 99% of the agents want a 1-page query letter, but Writers House asks for two pages. I am close, what I'm not seeing there?

Last edited:

Crafty

And then there was one
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Cya, thanks a lot for answer the questions to this newby! :) Now I am using querytracker.net and agentquery, thanks.

But... I'm confused. I still have a doubt for my number 3: I went to Writers House, and they say in Submissions the following:

"Please send us a query letter of no more than two pages, which includes your credentials, an explanation of what makes your book unique and special, and a synopsis."

To my understanding, they seem to be asking a query letter of no more two pages (front only), so the maximum are two pages to write what they want.

I know that the 99% of the agents want a 1-page query letter, but Writers House asks for two pages. I am close, what I'm not seeing there?

Saying "No more than two pages" does not mean, "please send me a two page query." It means, don't you bloody dare send us any more than two pages. It's advisable to keep your query short and sweet, owing to the fact that they have thousands and thousands to read and if yours is long they probably won't even bother. Prove to them that you can write concisely so that they know your book is not wordy. Understand that two pages probably only applies to those with loads of credentials. eg, your writing a non fiction book about Pres Obama and you have to take a paragraph or two to explain how you know the man and why you're best to write the book.

Last edited:

Javielito

Registered
Reaction score
Saying "No more than two pages" does not mean, "please send me a two page query." It means, don't you bloody dare send us any more than two pages. It's advisable to keep your query short and sweet, owing to the fact that they have thousands and thousands to read and if yours is long they probably won't even bother. Prove to them that you can write concisely so that they know your book is not wordy. Understand that two pages probably only applies to those with loads of credentials. eg, your writing a non fiction book about Pres Obama and you have to take a paragraph or two to explain how you know the man and why you're best to write the book.

Crafty, I got it!
Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a full request from Steve Malk. This will be my second manuscript with him. YAY!