The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Hmmm. I have a novella-length thing stalled for much the same reason, because I need to do some serious research on the architectural history of the Vatican and I just haven't found the time.

That said, the novel I'm currently working on, which also, coincidentally, involved doing some research on epidemiology and microbiology (and will require a *lot* more before the thing is ready to go out the door) was moving along fairly well until I got bonked on the head last week.

I think, and I'm sort of trying to figure this out as I type so bear with me if I make no sense, that in the case of the novel, while the science is absolutely critical, it's also of a sort than can be temporarily handwaved from a slightly-better-than-Wikipedia level of knowledge as I get the plot itself written down and the characters doing what they need to do. I expect to go back on a final pass and spend a *lot* of time getting the science right, but I know enough now to get the placement of the science right. Later, when I go back, the science will be the sole focus so I'll be able to put the time and attention into it without being distracted by needing to herd characters around at the same time. In the case of the novella, the research will dictate action closely enough that I can't get away with that.

I don't know if the nature of your story, or of your writing process, will allow you to skimp on your research for this draft knowing you're going have to go back to it later (some people can't stand that) but if so, it might be worth trying. Make sh*t up, fix it later, is my favorite early-draft writing mantra (-:

Dunno if that helps any, sorry.

-Suzanne

Why sorry? :)

I think it's a question of upfront research as opposed to finding something I need partway through a story. Partway through, I'm involved enough that I can use my "la la la details to come later" technique and all is good.

But to do it upfront? I get all obsessively scientific and start to think about citations and multiple sources and the fact dish runs away with the story spoon. I've yet to get both halves of my brain to work happily together.

A different answer is that I'm also engrossed in a novel quartet that I promised myself I would complete as an educational experience, but also because it's just so darn fun. And doesn't require any research. :)

Hopefully you and I aren't channeling the same idea requiring epidemiology and microbiology. If we are, you probably get dibs because it will be a while before I get to it. :D

Nothing much to report on the short story front. I hope to have my catadromous children story finished by the end of the weekend. That will be my first story of 2011 that doesn't involve apocalypse. Yay!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else got stories they put off writing?

Yeah. One is stalled for research I haven't had time to do, another for lack of feeling "ready" to write it yet. I've got enough things in the works that putting something off for a while doesn't dent my productivity, but after a few years I do start to feel neglectful.

-Suzanne

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
the fact dish runs away with the story spoon.

ooooh, great way to put it!

Hopefully you and I aren't channeling the same idea requiring epidemiology and microbiology. If we are, you probably get dibs because it will be a while before I get to it.

I suspect even if we did both have the same idea, we'd write different enough novels from it that it wouldn't matter. In any event, mine's a murder mystery set in the middle of a flesh-eating bacteria pandemic.

I do have an easier time with stories where I just get to make most of it up. My stalled novella needs a whole lot of research for what ultimately amounts to very brief scenes, but there's no shortcut around it. I'm thinking I'm going to try to get it done this year, though.

-Suzanne

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
I suspect even if we did both have the same idea, we'd write different enough novels from it that it wouldn't matter. In any event, mine's a murder mystery set in the middle of a flesh-eating bacteria pandemic.

-Suzanne

Mine's split between an epidemiologist studying the rise of a lethal STD and a sex worker living 150 years later in a totalitarian society. So it looks like we dodged that bullet. :D

I do find that most of my research goes toward my own understanding of things, not to be used in a story. I want to know what the pig sty smells like, even though my characters only drive past a farm going 55 with the windows rolled up, you know?

Anyway, you should write your novella. Summer's the perfect time for spending hours reading up on Vatican architecture. :)

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help with the editing everyone (and knowing it happens to other people helps too :)) I'm going to take another stab at it this weekend. Until then, I'm giving myself a break. And just writing.

I added an extra writing time (my morning one wasn't being enough) and really, 1/2 hour of writing time and I feel like some major word machine *laugh*

But feeling good about meeting goals.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm writing a novel opening tonight.

Apart from some editing on a shortie last night, i haven't done any short story writing yet this week. I'm even more scatterbrained than usual atm, so doing any writing feels like an accomplishment.

Though, i am researching ideas for a story set under the sea. That could be fun.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what's up with Basement Stories? Last time I checked duotrope they hadn't responded to anything in a while, and my query seems to be remaining unanswered.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
And the Odyssey system was my first video game. I thought the Atari 2600 I begged for years after was the height of technology. Magic!

Not a spring thing, me.

My first game system was Pong.

-Suzanne

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Good old Magnavox Odyssey was the first one, before Atari threw its Pong into the ring. Of course, Odyssey only really only had 3 version of pong. But it was so cool! :p

Amazing that's kind of the forerunner to World of Warcraft, ain't it?

Shelley

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Good old Magnavox Odyssey was the first one, before Atari threw its Pong into the ring. Of course, Odyssey only really only had 3 version of pong. But it was so cool! :p

Amazing that's kind of the forerunner to World of Warcraft, ain't it?

I think we must be pretty close to contemporaries.

My version of Pong also had Hockey, which was pretty much exactly like pong except with a [ on either side. I've never even looked at World of Warcraft; I have more than enough distractions as it is. (Also, I watched my neighbor completely destroy his marriage with WoW 'cause he couldn't get his ass out from in front of the computer and go find a job.) Though I did play Kingdom of Loathing for a while, mostly because I really loved the graphics :)

-Suzanne, feeling my age this week (act it? never!)

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
I totally missed the whole Pong era... :Shrug:

Aw, pong was fun! So were the handheld games like Blip and Merlin. :) I spent hours trying to beat Pitfall on the Atari and later trying to beat the Indiana Jones game, both of which I did win, I'll have you know! I got so good at Megamania, I could play it until I got tired of it, and it was kind of tough.

For all my childhood gaming, I didn't end up a gamer. Like you, Suzanne, I've never played Warcraft. We have a PS3 and Wii (I have a 14-year-old) but I only play them with her sometimes. I enjoy it, but don't go play on my own. I did like PlayStation's version of Frogger. And the original Silent Hill--I loved that one when a friend introduced me, but no one wanted to play with me so I sold it.

During my C64 years, Dad subscribed to some magazine that had long programs in it, and I spent hours typing them in and getting them typo free. I remember the TAPE DRIVE I had with my Commodore 64 and how long it took for anything to load, oh my god. Didn't seem so long then, though, because it was computer magic!

By the way, I think the new one? It'll tank.

Shelley

sisco

Nothing clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsisco.com
I still have a few original commie 64's sitting in storage with a box full of disks. Haven't plugged them in in years though. I do kinda miss the old days of gaming when gameplay and (sometimes) story were more important than graphics.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go for it soapy!

I was super productive in the last 48 hours.

On Friday I thought of and wrote (in two sittings) a 1000-word flash humor story.

Today I spent a few hours in the morning polishing up "A Shard Glows in Brooklyn" - an urban fantasy story set in my home town. I'm particularly proud of the horrible pun of a name.

Both are now with beta readers (and if anyone else wants a look-see, just let me know).

Up next: catching up on critting friends' stories, then revisions on "A Better Tomorrow." I may have 3 new things to submit by early next week, and two of them aren't flash!

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
You can send me A Shard Glows in Brooklyn if you want some more eyes on it.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, will do.

Incidentally I just finished critting your story, so check your email :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've gotten barely anything written as far as short stories go this week. (Though the week's not quite over yet, there's still a chance.)

I did, however, write 8 pages of screenplay this evening. (And yesterday evening.) So. Yay, me! :)

Aggy, trying to figure out how to make Southern spec-fic match up with one of the SF/F challenge topics

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yay for writing, Aggy! :)

I've written just over 1k tonight on a new shortie. Set, initially at least, under the sea.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got 1600+ words written on Inheritance and I think I'm going to finish that up this morning.

Also wrote a chunk on the horror novella. Still way behind where that needs to be but at least it is getting written.

And I'm still on track for Script Frenzy so the weekend was fairly productive. Now I just have to finish and sub some things this week and I'll be happy. :)

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got 1600+ words written on Inheritance and I think I'm going to finish that up this morning.

Also wrote a chunk on the horror novella. Still way behind where that needs to be but at least it is getting written.

And I'm still on track for Script Frenzy so the weekend was fairly productive. Now I just have to finish and sub some things this week and I'll be happy. :)

Way to go! Script Frenzy's a bit like Nanowrimo, right, where you finish a script during April? I'm impressed by anyone who even considers trying that, let alone finishes. Especially while writing other things, too.

Good luck!

Shelley