Writer Responsibility: Freedom of Speech Vs Censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
But my characters have plenty of views that I don't share (I write historicals) and my current project has them, including protags, doing things I'd never do. In fact, the idea that authors somehow promote a certain behaviour because it's in their books had never even occurred to me.

So true.

I'm about to sit down and write a scene in my WIP, where my MC has landed himself in the Mamertine prison, and is about to be tortured. Does this mean I condone torture and execution?

No, quite the opposite. I'm actually an active member of Amnesty International!

My MC is an imperialist, doesn't see anything wrong with slavery or his treatment of women, he condones torture as a way to gain information and he thinks execution is justified. In other words, he's a man of his time.

Probably one of the reasons, I thought to make him an anti-hero. :tongue

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... the psycho who gunned down John Lennon had a worn copy of Catcher in the Rye on them at the time. Was Salinger responsible in any way for the crime? Not. At. All.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
... the psycho who gunned down John Lennon had a worn copy of Catcher in the Rye on them at the time. Was Salinger responsible in any way for the crime? Not. At. All.

Was he suffering psychosis, or was he just a very disturbed person?

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I think gothicangel merely assumes that a fully sane person would a) not kill John Lennon b) not immediately perceive the connection between Catcher in the Rye and shooting John Lennon. Were he sane as hand-sanitizer, then Salinger is still not to blame, but at least my mind finds it hard to connect 'sane' with 'just shot a person he never knew and claims to have been inspired by Catcher in the Rye'. When I read that book I felt no inclination to even pinch someone.

Reaction score
I think the number of people who have read TCitR and not run out to shoot a Beatle proves that Chapman was at fault there, not Salinger.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I think gothicangel merely assumes that a fully sane person would a) not kill John Lennon b) not immediately perceive the connection between Catcher in the Rye and shooting John Lennon. Were he sane as hand-sanitizer, then Salinger is still not to blame, but at least my mind finds it hard to connect 'sane' with 'just shot a person he never knew and claims to have been inspired by Catcher in the Rye'. When I read that book I felt no inclination to even pinch someone.

But none of this has anything whatsoever to do with the topic at hand, which is 'Writer Responsibility: Freedom of Speech Vs Censorship'.

Whether the perp of any crime (much less one as high profile as the murder of John Lennon) is psychotic or disturbed has nothing to do with either Salinger or The Catcher in the Rye.

That's why I don't understand why someone would ask about the distinction of the perp's mental state. That has nothing to do with either freedom of speech or censorship.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... and let's not overlook the use of the word "worn," in my post above. The cover of Catcher in the Rye was tattered, to be sure. But the pages, themselves, were in fairly fine condition, outside of a few dogeared pages and mustard stain on page 53. So instead of "worn," how about "weathered," or "a bit worn around the edges," better yet?

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I thought gothicangel was taking exception to Ken's description of Chapman as "psycho", not suggesting that Catcher in the Rye was relevant to Chapman murdering Lennon in any way.

Chapman's defense marshaled several psychiatrists who diagnosed him as psychotic; however, he chose to plead guilty to the murder, so the courtroom discussion of his mental health or illness was cut short.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Chapman's defense marshaled several psychiatrists who diagnosed him as psychotic; however, he chose to plead guilty to the murder, so the courtroom discussion of his mental health or illness was cut short.

... wasn't aware that the matter was central to the trial. I can see it's having relevancy in view of that. I used the term "psycho" in my prior post jeeringly, to convey my hatred for Chapman alongside of the point I was making about writer responsibility. It was hard to pass up the opportunity. No harm done. On the contrary, I learnt something new.

jimbro

Registered
Reaction score
Censorship is great!!

I strongly favor complete censorship.

But only if I get to be the censor.

You do trust me, don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.