Rejectomancy

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
8-Day form rejection Ellery Queen. This'n stung, too. All of my stories that I didn't think that well of lasted longer there, and I thought of this as my "best story evah!". (Should I go on a Darling-murder-spree? Kill all of my darlings, I will. All of 'em.) Maybe if I suit it up a bit I can get it in with Alfred Hitchcock, but I've never done postal submissions before, and my printer's out of ink.....

Oh well, there's always more stories and more markets.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
A riddle:

what do you get when Missouri Review says that "Your story was very well written, and your attention to detail was quite admirable"?

Answer: A rejection.

That's too bad. Did they even state why they rejected it?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
8-Day form rejection Ellery Queen. This'n stung, too. All of my stories that I didn't think that well of lasted longer there, and I thought of this as my "best story evah!". (Should I go on a Darling-murder-spree? Kill all of my darlings, I will. All of 'em.)

Ouch, that stinks! But I think that's happened (or will happen) to all of us at some point or another; could be you bumped up against an editor's personal taste, or they'd just accepted another story with similar themes/setting/etc. Don't read too much into it, and don't gut your story in the heat of a rejection -- if the story wants more work, do it when you can be objective about it.

And good luck at the next market :)

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
16 days to "close but not quite what we're looking for" from Clarkesworld.

This is the first time I got past the basic form R there, after 7 attempts total.

At 1350 words its too short for Lightspeed and I just sent something to F&SF. So where do I send it next? I'm thinking maybe Asimov's. Gotta see if they take that length.

Oh that's very good from Clarkesworld. You should be proud.

I would say that means someone will pick it up. Just a matter of who.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh that's very good from Clarkesworld. You should be proud.

I would say that means someone will pick it up. Just a matter of who.

Thanks, and my thinking exactly :)

It's too short for Lightspeed and I already have something in slush at F&SF. It was Asimov's or Strange Horizons and Asimov's submission page was down (anyone know what's up with that?) this morning, so off to SH it went.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
8-Day form rejection Ellery Queen. This'n stung, too. All of my stories that I didn't think that well of lasted longer there...

For what it's worth I think they're just getting through submissions faster now than at other times in the past. Don't know if that helps much, but there you go...

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else entered the 200-word AE Micro Fiction contest, but they posted the winners on the website under Fiction. I don't recognize any of the names, but I can only vouch that I didn't win. No emails though.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else entered the 200-word AE Micro Fiction contest, but they posted the winners on the website under Fiction. I don't recognize any of the names, but I can only vouch that I didn't win. No emails though.
I did and I haven't received my R either. Oh well. I'll send my micro tale off to Vestal Review.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info

I had intended to but didn't get around to it. Sorry to hear about the lack of emails!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought the response report on Duotrope was kind of odd. I feared they pulled a Pedestal and, sure enough, I was right!

loldoc

Registered
Reaction score
Checked AE Micro: Yep; the winners are in and I am not on the list. Oh well. I'm micro-disappointed.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
82-day form R from The Literarian.

These 250-word mystery stories that I write for the AHMM monthly contest are a pain to try to find secondary markets for. Ah, well. I have fun writing 'em anyway.

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
82-day form R from The Literarian.

These 250-word mystery stories that I write for the AHMM monthly contest are a pain to try to find secondary markets for. Ah, well. I have fun writing 'em anyway.

Have you looked into adapting them for the American women's magazine Woman's World?

Apparently, they buy 'solve-it-yourself' mysteries of 700 words, including the narrative and the solution. And they pay well. Could be worth a look.

Guidelines here: http://womagwriter.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/womans-world-us-guidelines.html

Ali

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
$1/word isn't unheard of in mainstream publication (especially for non-fiction). I've been paid more.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
$800 for a 800-word story??? Holy crap! Am I reading that right?

Yeah, I had a romance story published by them earlier this year, and they do pay really, really well. I'd recommend picking up a copy at the supermarket and seeing what they're looking for (which is good advice for any market, WW in particular has a pretty set idea of what they're looking for. Plus, it's only like 3 bucks, so it's not too big of an investment).

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Have you looked into adapting them for the American women's magazine Woman's World?

Apparently, they buy 'solve-it-yourself' mysteries of 700 words, including the narrative and the solution. And they pay well. Could be worth a look.

Guidelines here: http://womagwriter.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/womans-world-us-guidelines.html

Ali

That's a great suggestion conceptually. Though the ones I've written are probably more aptly described as "crime" stories than "mysteries" which the reader tries to solve. However, I think I should pick up a copy or two of WW (or see if the library carries it...) and read what they publish. It's silly for me to be ignoring that market.